VIP722 DVR Sound/Volume options

dali619

Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
San Diego
Good day all,

Simple question I hope. Can/will the ViP722 control the volume/mute itself or is it required that I have some other device to manage the volume? I have a Dell 24" LCD connected via a component cable, I have the two audio cables (RCA) converted down to a 3.5 mm connector plugged into an AUX port on my PC speaker system. I want to be able to mute the sounds coming from the ViP722 without having to manually turn down the volume on the PC speaker setup (because all sounds get turned down (i.e. my PC sounds as well as the TV sounds) which is not what I'm looking for. I just switched to Dish from Cox cable and the Cox DVR box (ST 8500 I believe it was) would allow me to do what I'm trying to do here with this new VIP722. My setup is in single mode as of now and everything is working as it should but the volume control. Any comments would be very welcome. Thanks!

Correct - there is no volume control on the Dish receivers themselves.

The Dish remote has a volume control and a mute button, but these are used only to control a TV or Audio Receiver (or other remote-capable equipment) via it's remote control codes.

Even if your PC speakers had a remote control for some reason (can't imagine there are remotely controlled PC speakers, but who knows), and you programmed the dish remote for these speakers, it would control the volume of everything connected to the speakers.

Well Dang

I'd say this is some kind of bug.. I know the Cox cable guys said the same thing. No volume control.. Then when the box I had died the Cox guy came out with a new one. I just so happen to ask him about it and he was like, "Oh ya, it will do that." Pushed a few buttons and bam! There it was, working as it SHOULD. Imagine that, someone might want to actually work the volume from the DVR box. How is that possible? I'm launching a formal investigation into this mix up! ;)

Thanks for the replies, if I find anything different I'll for sure share. Guess it time to go spend more money on something else I really don't want or need..

It isn't a bug as it is not intended to do that. Nor would I want it to.

I would not want the receiver doing anything to my volume control. Instead I want my AV receiver to have full control over the signal.

Well I guess that's where our points of view differ.. The box can do everything.. Two tv's at once, record multiple channels at the same time, change the channels, all those little things but can't do volume control even though it (the sound) passes right through the device.. Hell why let it change the channels then? Shouldn't it be the AV device that does that too? Sounds like a bug to me.. But then again, what do I know..

Your case (where you have an audio playing device (your computer speakers) that does not have a method of IR volume control is by far the exception. Basically everyone has their receivers hooked up to either a TV with speakers or an AV receiver that controls their sound. This volume control in the satellite receiver is worthless in 99.9% of cases and would just lead to confusing people about why their TV/Receiver won't get loud enough when the volume is being messed with in the satellite receiver

By the way, a "bug" is when something doesn't work as intended. In this case the satellite receiver is working exactly as intended. What you are really talking about is a missing "feature"

The old 2700/3900 receivers had this.. And it was a real pain.. I would go in a customers house to do service and when I turned off the box the TV would almost blow the speakers because the customer had the box volume way down and the TV volume WAY up.. The only reason that Dish had this feature back then was because a lot of TVs didn't have remote control back then. Now it is an unneeded feature..

If your receiver (722) did have its own volume control, you would then need some device to measure the pre amp signal you are messing with at the 722. If it's not high enough you lose frequencies at your amp, laptop, or what ever. If too high you will get distortion. The preamp signal you are getting now is designed to feed what ever type of amplifier you are using just right. Make sense.

The only reason that Dish had this feature back then was because a lot of TVs didn't have remote control back then. Now it is an unneeded feature..
With the advent of HD receivers hooked up to computer monitors, the need is back.

Exception to the rule

Well I guess that's where our points of view differ.. The box can do everything.. Two tv's at once, record multiple channels at the same time, change the channels, all those little things but can't do volume control even though it (the sound) passes right through the device.. Hell why let it change the channels then? Shouldn't it be the AV device that does that too? Sounds like a bug to me.. But then again, what do I know..

You are the exception to the general rule. Think about how many people would be calling in asking I have my TV (AV receiver) turned all the way up but I can hear anything. Then the CSR's would be going thru all kinds of stuff over the phone and not get to the is the volume turned down on the receiver. Another thing is how many people would be wondering why the recording they just made has no volume. See the receiver outputs the volume to several outputs at one time. turn down the volume to the TV then the volume to the DVD recorder would go down. Just think about that.

Buy a cheap surround sound system and set it up.

It will probably have better audio than your PC anyway.

With the advent of HD receivers hooked up to computer monitors, the need is back.

Most people that are doing this also have some type of AV receiver hooked up as well. It isn't as if there are bare speaker cable outputs on Satellite/Cable receivers. I see very very few cases where this would be necessary at all.

The point is that it should at least be an option. Not that you have to make it the default option but an option none the less. I've had to send that sucker back. Plain and simple. Doesn't do what I need it to do without spending more money on some stuff I don't need or want. So thanks for all the input and good luck to everyone. Maybe I'll try again in a few years..

Resurrecting an old subject - maybe someone has another idea. I've got some wireless headphones hooked to the audio out of my VIP722. When I use them, I turn off my Sound Bar (HDMI to my TV). I want to mute the sound in the headphones during commercials. Anyone figured out how to mute the audio out on the VIP?

The volume coming out of Dish receivers has not been modifiable in a long long time. I think my 4900 was the last receiver to have such an option.

Resurrecting an old subject - maybe someone has another idea. I've got some wireless headphones hooked to the audio out of my VIP722. When I use them, I turn off my Sound Bar (HDMI to my TV). I want to mute the sound in the headphones during commercials. Anyone figured out how to mute the audio out on the VIP?

Record the program and skip through the commercials while watching the recording.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts