ViP722 Ethernet Connection Question

justthinking

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
I was able to connect my ViP722 to my home network and internet using my old Linksys game adapter WGA54G..
However, I notice that on my DHCP client list, ViP722 doesn't have a name assign to it..
Is there a way to config the ViP722 so my router can pickup the device name??

I don't know if that's possible. I'm not sure there's that much intelligence behind the 722 connection, but even if there were, your wireless gaming adapter is going to be the client that connects to your router, so that would be where I would look first. If you can give that client a name like VIP722, then you would be set.

I'm not a pro, I know just enough to be dangerous, but those are my thoughts.

I was able to connect my ViP722 to my home network and internet using my old Linksys game adapter WGA54G..
However, I notice that on my DHCP client list, ViP722 doesn't have a name assign to it..
Is there a way to config the ViP722 so my router can pickup the device name??
Can't help with that. Out of curiosity, though, how do you interact with the Internet/722? Do you use a wireless mouse and keyboard? Or is your computer situated in LOS with the TV (monitor)?

I have a wireless router and have considered hooking into the internet. I have the right equipment and think that I could do it with some free time and persistence.

You cannot assign a name to the receiver. This is appropriate as there's no reason to address it. You can use the MAC address to identify it in a crowd.

Can't help with that. Out of curiosity, though, how do you interact with the Internet/722? Do you use a wireless mouse and keyboard? Or is your computer situated in LOS with the TV (monitor)?

The only interaction between you and your VIP722 is from the System Menu. I think it's option 6 when you press the menu button on the remote. You can check to see if your connected to the Internet and you can reset your connection, essentially a release and renew.

Any content that is downloaded using the 722 is accessed using the 722 software. No keyboard or mouse is necessary.

I don't know if that answers your question...

I've got my VIP211, VIP222, & VIP622 all on my home network which requires MAC address authorization via the router.

It would be nice to be able to assign a device name to each of the receivers so when your logged into the router you can easily identify which receiver is associated with each MAC address but I've yet to find a way to do it with any of these devices.

Doesn't your router software allow you to add names next to mac addresses that are 'allowed'?

My 722 is hooked up via a Linksys wireless router running third party firmware that allows it to do wireless bridge mode. I've also got an XBox 360 plugged into the same box. It seems to work fine, I can download VOD's and it passes the diagnostics in the 722. However, anytime I power the 722 down and then power it back up I get the popup saying I must connect to a phone line or ethernet port to avoid the $5 fee. They've never charged me, but the popup seems odd when it all seems to work otherwise.

I've got my VIP211, VIP222, & VIP622 all on my home network which requires MAC address authorization via the router.

It would be nice to be able to assign a device name to each of the receivers so when your logged into the router you can easily identify which receiver is associated with each MAC address but I've yet to find a way to do it with any of these devices.

If you would like to be able to identify each receiver's connection to your router, you can do so using your router software to assign a name to each of your receiver's based on their respective MAC addresses. I believe the MAC address for your received can be obtained through your System menu.

You would have to do some searching to determine how you assign a name to devices that are connected to your router using each device's MAC address.

The only interaction between you and your VIP722 is from the System Menu. I think it's option 6 when you press the menu button on the remote. You can check to see if your connected to the Internet and you can reset your connection, essentially a release and renew.

Any content that is downloaded using the 722 is accessed using the 722 software. No keyboard or mouse is necessary.

I don't know if that answers your question...
Yes, I believe it does.

I was thnking that with the ethernet connection that you could somehow connect to your ISP and use the 722 as an Internet browser.

Knowing what you just told me I'm thinking that to browse the Internet on my 52 inch monitor my best bet is to connect to the PC port on the TV and to use my wireless keyboard and mouse. That would not access the 722 at all.

My 722 is hooked up via a Linksys wireless router running third party firmware that allows it to do wireless bridge mode. I've also got an XBox 360 plugged into the same box. It seems to work fine, I can download VOD's and it passes the diagnostics in the 722. However, anytime I power the 722 down and then power it back up I get the popup saying I must connect to a phone line or ethernet port to avoid the $5 fee. They've never charged me, but the popup seems odd when it all seems to work otherwise.

JayStil,

I think that's because it takes a little while for your 722 to request an IP on its own after powering down. If you go into the system menu and reset your connection after you power down I think that would do the trick.

However, anytime I power the 722 down and then power it back up I get the popup saying I must connect to a phone line or ethernet port to avoid the $5 fee.
The quick fix for this is to stop powering down the ViP722.

I think the only time that it really gets cranky is if it needs to call out (based on a satellite delivered request from DISH) and can't. I seem to recall getting an automated telephone warning once that the connection was down for a while (I had swapped my Ethernet cable to my HD-DVD player to download a software update).

Knowing what you just told me I'm thinking that to browse the Internet on my 52 inch monitor my best bet is to connect to the PC port on the TV and to use my wireless keyboard and mouse.
Most VGA ports on big screen televisions are severely restricted on the usable resolutions. My 61" is limited to 640x480 or 1024x768 as I recall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)