ViP722 fan problem

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Well, my upstairs ViP722 is making noise again. It's the fan this time. I tried WD-40, but that only worked for a few hours, so I've unplugged it. And now the WD-40 doesn't help at all. I can't replace the fan without breaking a warranty seal. And I don't want to RMA it, at least not until after CES and I see how my employer is doing. If all goes well, I'd move to the Hopper if I can get a 2H/0J setup. BTW, a call to the only known "real" Dish retailer in the area, VIA, went unreturned. The other retailers appear to just be order takers.

So I can just keep unplugging it overnight so we can sleep. Or unplug the fan and put a different fan blowing on the interior, with the top removed of course.

Any other ideas?

just disconnect it.....LMAO....jk......I wired my fan in my 722k to the 5 volt hard drive connection so it runs 24/7 at pretty low speed, been at least 2 years now and going strong (probably just jinxed myself) I would just find something that would fit and when you have to return it put the old one back in......funny I never heard the fan run before I modified it, even when recording 2 sat and 2 ota, gotta think the drive would get hot with that scenario...

I can't replace the fan without breaking a warranty seal.
a heat gun or hair dryer will loosen it with out destroying it..

Last edited:
FWIW, I replaced the fan on my 722 (not K) myself, since I own it. Total cost: $12 from MicroCenter. Maybe you can sort of peel the seal back without damaging it, and then eventually when you return it to Dish, you can just claim the heat must have dried it out. ;) But frankly I don't think they'll burp if you return a working receiver.

FWIW, I replaced the fan on my 722 (not K) myself, since I own it. Total cost: $12 from MicroCenter. Maybe you can sort of peel the seal back without damaging it, and then eventually when you return it to Dish, you can just claim the heat did it. ;)

Microcenter is my holy grail

Hwy 100 in msp/paul. In an old low rent shopping center next to burlington coat factory. It is the geek center of the area.

Microcenter is my holy grail

yea, they ain't no joke...the only one in Michigan is only a few miles from my house and they F'ing crank....gotta think they do AT LEAST 100K a day in sales....never been there when there was less then 100 custo's.......

back to the original topic if you can't get the seal off with heat, I would not even worry about it....do you really think they check? and would do anything? a 722 has got to be at least 4 years old.....

Your employer has what to do with it?

was wondering that myself.....maybe has to make sure his money is going to be right????

His employer is in a life threatening situation...(job/cashflow for Navy)

If my employer goes under, getting another job under the current and worsening economy, and at my age, will be challenging. Things are coming to a head.

just disconnect it.....LMAO....jk......I wired my fan in my 722k to the 5 volt hard drive connection so it runs 24/7 at pretty low speed, been at least 2 years now and going strong (probably just jinxed myself) I would just find something that would fit and when you have to return it put the old one back in......funny I never heard the fan run before I modified it, even when recording 2 sat and 2 ota, gotta think the drive would get hot with that scenario...

a heat gun or hair dryer will loosen it with out destroying it..

AHHHHH! :)

would have to think he is in the know to make such a statement?

that sucks......hope everything works out brother......been there and still am (money wise) best wishes to the boss man!

Thank you. And YES, I am certainly in a position to know. Great future for the company- IF some money can be invested in it.

If my employer goes under, getting another job under the current and worsening economy, and at my age, will be challenging. Things are coming to a head.

really hope sh*t works out out for you bro, my money is not even close to what it used to be, but I am thankful for what I have, and the people in my life who can help.....

good luck, I know what it is like to be old and look for work....i.e. old dog and no new tricks......

Big YES on MicroCenter- I know it's a standard fan, and there's a store near me.

Oddly, the WD seems to have sunk in and it's quiet again. But that fan's gotta go.

Maybe my employer's situation is not life threatening, but certainly is determining my quality of life. Might have to take in a boarder, or even move. Leaving this home, after we've put so much into it, would be devastating. Especially since so many other emotionally upsetting problems, including people dying, are happening at the same time.

really hope sh*t works out out for you bro, my money is not even close to what it used to be, but I am thankful for what I have, and the people in my life who can help.....

good luck, I know what it is like to be old and look for work....i.e. old dog and no new tricks......

Plenty of tricks, I know my stuff, but most employers are looking for the younger folks, knowledge and experience be damned.

Oh well, we've had a good run. Hopefully will continue, even if at a lower level.

Plenty of tricks, I know my stuff, but most employers are looking for the younger folks, knowledge and experience be damned.

Oh well, we've had a good run. Hopefully will continue, even if at a lower level.

yea, I still have plenty of tricks up my sleeve too, and can hustle some money doing my HVAC thing, but gotta wonder how long my body can take it, lol.....I truly believe the best is yet to come (got no choice) and I WILL write the last chapter on top.......and if not I am still blessed....don't know why, but I am.....

Last edited:
Your MicroCenter is the MicroCenter where I bought my $12 replacement. ;) If you go this route, be forewarned that the only properly sized fan at our MicroCenter was an extruded aluminum model that requires screws, not the nice rubber screw thingies that come on your 722. The rubber "screws" require a plastic fan with flanges. Since I have my 722 in the basement equipment room, the extra vibration isolation of the rubber screws was unimportant.

How about disconnecting bad fan and adding an external one on the exhaust vent--left front on most? 12V model on 5V USB?
-Ken

That was my first plan. And I may go back to it now. In a few weeks, I may move to the Hopper, or drop down to a single ViP722.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)