ViP722 fan problem

Your MicroCenter is the MicroCenter where I bought my $12 replacement. ;) If you go this route, be forewarned that the only properly sized fan at our MicroCenter was an extruded aluminum model that requires screws, not the nice rubber screw thingies that come on your 722. The rubber "screws" require a plastic fan with flanges. Since I have my 722 in the basement equipment room, the extra vibration isolation of the rubber screws was unimportant.

Thank you for the info, disappointing as it is. Oh, well, I have WD-40 & can always try to oil it. Might cause a bit of a mess, though. Maybe I can Amazon/Google it.

If there's no oil on it right now, it may be possible to squeeze a shot or two of graphite (for locks) into the axis. Graphite is superior over wd40, because wd40 tends to gum up or dry up over time.

Good idea, thank you. But I wonder since I've gone the WD route, will the graphite now be a good idea. I suppose I could wait until it gets noisy again.

Dry of WD? At this point I'm looking at waiting until it makes a lot of noise and then graphite it before trying oil.

I only need a month or two. At that point, I'll either be moving to Hopper or probably dropping down to a single ViP722 from two.

Do what I did: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-SATA-IDE...?pt=US_Hard_Drive_Cooling&hash=item27ba96f573

Buy a 3.5" type hard drive fan, in the little metal heatsink such as the one I posted a link to above. You might have to unscrew the fans, and flip them the other way to blow OUT, it just depends. You then also bend the bottom flat metal edge with screw cut-outs to fit over the top and bottom edge of the back left corner of your receiver. It will then (friction) fit and clip neatly over the exhaust area of the receiver like it's taped on. You then use a usb cord soldered onto the wires for + and -, and plugged into one of the receivers USB ports. At 5 volts, they will run quietly, and exhaust the heated air inside the receiver.

Works GREAT, and they last much longer than the junk fans inside of laptop coolers. Just make sure it isn't clipped on so tight that the fans can't turn, and also make sure the air is blowing OUT.

I wouldn't worry about breaking the warranty void seal.

I have opened many receivers and some have the warranty void stickers and some don't.

If you break the seal, remove the sticker completely so there is no evidence.

Keep the old fan incase you need to replace the receiver under warranty so you can swap it back.

Worse case scenario Dish can charge you $50 as an out of warranty fee. Break the warranty seal at your own risk.

The other thing that works also that I used to do when I had a 508 DVR. I simply ran the receiver without the top cover and disconnected the fan completely from the main board

Got another strange noise. This time, it was the laptop cooler I use under the ViP722, so that just got disconnected. Probably wasn't doing much good anyway. We'll see how long I have a quiet STB.

If you are going to use up a USB port, then just go with an external Thermaltake II USB fan drawing air out the left exhaust vent.

Because the harddrive cooler when modified as I stated, clips onto the side of the receiver like it was made for it, and stays there nicely.
But either one would work.

Well, I discovered why that fan has been so quiet lately. It's failed totally. Keeping cover off, for now. <sigh> Wait a month, maybe two....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts