VIP722 First Impressions.

avediswolf

I'm Back!
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 22, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Tax Time, Got to keep the economy going, so I ended up purchacing a 42" LCD 1080p HDTV. Decided I needed a box for Dish, so I went to the local sat store, and purchaced one of these. I could have gotten it a bit cheaper online, but it was one of them things I wanted NOW.

I hooked it up to my dish 100, then to the TV using HDMI.

Had some issues getting TV2 remote to work upstairs, so using splitters, and feeding the remote antenna line into the same coax that feeds the signal to the upstairs TV relieved that very well, and using AIR 31 and 41 as the channels, noticed no degrade in picture quality to the small TV upstairs.

Time to call Dish, and decom my 721.

Definately got ahold of the off shore call center, she insisted I had to have someone come to my place. I explained I had the right dish and was ready to go. Hung up. Called tech support. No problem. Added HD Ultimate. ( Figured I'd give the voom cahhels a chance for now, remove later if they stink )

Getting local HD from antenna, and setup was simple, and OTA picture quality looks just as it did without the box.

Dish HD. After reading I wondered what I was in for, maybe I'm not a videophile, but I thought the quality was very good. Better than I originally expected.

As for the 722, Only had it for a day, and haven't seen any quirks, but remember, I had a 721 before. By the way, The 722 doesn't take 20 minutes to "boot up" as the 721 did.

We both noticed that standard def appears to be not as soft, and more crisp on this TV than when the 721 was connected.

I'll play around with it for another week and see if I'm still happy then, but from my first look, the outlook is good.

Just wanted to share my personal expirence.

So far one think I noticed I don't like...

I wish I could swith from Single TV mode to Dual TV mode using the remote, instead of getting up and hitting a button when the girl wants to watch TV upstairs.

Another thing, which is not available on any receiver that I know of, but on my wishlist... Be able to organize the guide to my liking, for example, "grab" HDNEWS from the 9000 range, and place it down with the other news channels. Have the fox sports net next to the other sports channels such as ESPN, etc. Not a complaint, know it's not possible, but would be nice.

Unrelated, but let me ask a question. When I get locals in HD from DIsh, but have locals from OTA. Can I still receive both on my 722 or when remapped, will the Dish HD locals replace my OTA HD locals.

Unrelated, but let me ask a question. When I get locals in HD from DIsh, but have locals from OTA. Can I still receive both on my 722 or when remapped, will the Dish HD locals replace my OTA HD locals.

Good question, hope not!:confused: I currently get my HD locals OTA but Dish is supposed to get 'em this quarter.

Ed

You can receive both. I do, and it works great.

Ted

Tax Time, Got to keep the economy going, so I ended up purchacing a 42" LCD 1080p HDTV. Decided I needed a box for Dish, so I went to the local sat store, and purchaced one of these. I could have gotten it a bit cheaper online, but it was one of them things I wanted NOW.

I hooked it up to my dish 100, then to the TV using HDMI.

Had some issues getting TV2 remote to work upstairs, so using splitters, and feeding the remote antenna line into the same coax that feeds the signal to the upstairs TV relieved that very well, and using AIR 31 and 41 as the channels, noticed no degrade in picture quality to the small TV upstairs.

Time to call Dish, and decom my 721.

Definately got ahold of the off shore call center, she insisted I had to have someone come to my place. I explained I had the right dish and was ready to go. Hung up. Called tech support. No problem. Added HD Ultimate. ( Figured I'd give the voom cahhels a chance for now, remove later if they stink )

Getting local HD from antenna, and setup was simple, and OTA picture quality looks just as it did without the box.

Dish HD. After reading I wondered what I was in for, maybe I'm not a videophile, but I thought the quality was very good. Better than I originally expected.

As for the 722, Only had it for a day, and haven't seen any quirks, but remember, I had a 721 before. By the way, The 722 doesn't take 20 minutes to "boot up" as the 721 did.

We both noticed that standard def appears to be not as soft, and more crisp on this TV than when the 721 was connected.

I'll play around with it for another week and see if I'm still happy then, but from my first look, the outlook is good.

Just wanted to share my personal expirence.

I've had the 722 for 6 mos. & love it. Outside of minor sound drop out problems the 722 is an almost flawless workhorse. The PQ is exc. on both my HD TV & the #2 TV. The SD chs. are very clear on set #2 and I like the fact that I can record 3 programs at the same time with an OTA antenna outside. Enjoy the 722.:)

I have the 722 and 2 TiVos with Lifetime subscriptions. I hardly ever use the TiVos. I like the 722 much better and I have had TiVos since 2001. With the 722 ability to record two sat channels and one OTA, while watching a recorded program, who needs TiVo.

So Far, So Good.
The receiver has been very reliable, No reboot needed every other day, No freeze ups after a signal loss. Guess I've gotten used to the 721, and just expected to have to pull the plug almost daily.

Starting to learn why most ppl don't care for the voom channels, At first they were pretty good, until I realized the same thing was on all the time.

... I like the fact that I can record 3 programs at the same time with an OTA antenna outside. Enjoy the 722.:)

Three at once?!
OK, please help me get this straight.
With the 722 you can record two Sat programs and one OTA program, right?
Can you record two of the sat programs in HD at the same time?
Since TV2 only outputs SD, made me wonder if both sat tuners are HD.
If you get HD only package do you have to pay another fee to make OTA HD recording work?

I'm a current subscriber to AT200 w/Locals and I'm years out of contract. I have PVRs 501 & 508 that seem like they may die any day now. Bought a Olevia last year for the bedroom, because it was on sale. Tuned in to the OTA HD locals one day and now I'm hurtin' for HD programming with DVR capabilities. So now I'd like to just dump the package I now have and go with the HD Only package and a DVR Reciever. And, of course, a new HDTV is now inevitable for the living room. So I'm trying to 'get my ducks in a row' before making a decision.

Three at once?!
OK, please help me get this straight.
With the 722 you can record two Sat programs and one OTA program, right?
Can you record two of the sat programs in HD at the same time?
Since TV2 only outputs SD, made me wonder if both sat tuners are HD.
If you get HD only package do you have to pay another fee to make OTA HD recording work?

Yes, you can record three HD channels at once. TV2 output is just that - SD output.

You can record OTA HD like a VCR for free. If you want name-based recording (i.e. programming information for your locals showing up in the guide for OTA channels) you have to buy a local channel package.

Yes, you can record three HD channels at once. TV2 output is just that - SD output.

You can record OTA HD like a VCR for free. If you want name-based recording (i.e. programming information for your locals showing up in the guide for OTA channels) you have to buy a local channel package.

Thanks Jeff.
I saw you got pounced on in another thread for ripping on SpeedHD, because your from Indy. Kinda like me making fun of Elvis, being born and raised in Memphis(BTW: not bragging). Oops, I might get pounce on now.

Yes, but he lived here when he recorded at Sun Studio and became famous. And here is were the 'Elvis Mecca' is.
Memphis is also 'Home of the Blues'. Really it's more like we were the nearest 'big city' on the bluffs of the Mississippi for Delta Blues performance and distribution.
Besides, we ain't got much to brag about here, so I'm hangin' on to these. Oh, and our Artesain well water is awsome right out of the tap.

Thanks Jeff.
I saw you got pounced on in another thread for ripping on SpeedHD, because your from Indy. Kinda like me making fun of Elvis, being born and raised in Memphis(BTW: not bragging). Oops, I might get pounce on now.

And you did... :)

I was in Memphis for a few days last fall. Stayed at The Peabody, hung out on Beale Street a couple of nights... it was a blast! Didn't make it to Graceland though.... maybe next time. :)

I was in Memphis for a few days last fall. Stayed at The Peabody, hung out on Beale Street a couple of nights... it was a blast! Didn't make it to Graceland though.... maybe next time. :)
Yeah the Peabody is nice! I lived in memphis for a little while during 01, best BBQ period. Anyone passing through check out the Germantown Commissary!

Memphis is nice to visit. May is a good time, Memphis in May, Music Fest, BBQ Fest, not too hot yet. Come June - September it's HOT here. If you want to party with the BBQ teams during BBQ FEST, Wed, Thurs, & maybe Fri night is when they're partying and having fun. They get serious when judging time comes at the end of the week.
Any other time we still have great BBQ here. Commissary is good but not my fave, Corky's (Original on Poplar) is consistently good. Neely's Interstate BBQ is good. Redezvous is good for its Downtown back-alley charm more than its food.

As for Graceland...
I recommend daytime. Whitehaven, the 50's suburb where it's located, was really nice in the 50's and 60's. Now is a different time.
There's Graceland and it's surrounding Elvis attractions. Hang out in that area and you're good... then get back downtown for fun at night.

Peabody is nice, I proposed to my wife on the roof. Across from there is the Redbirds Stadium (St Louis farm team). Huey's is on the other corner, great place for burgers and beer, nachos are pretty good too. If you like a big selection of microbrews, stop by the Flying Saucer on you way down Second St to Beale. Also downtown, there's the FedEx Forum where the Glizzleys play and Gibson Gituar next to it. Head south down Main St for breakfast at the Arcade Diner. There's other stuff, but I guess I 've already run this thread far enough off course. Maybe OP could add "and Memphis review" to title;).

Just remember, the satellite tuners are different from the TV outputs.

You can record 2 satellite signals in HD at the same time. You can watch the recorded HD on TV2, just downrezzed to SD.

BTW, you can watch an HD satellite program on TV2 as it airs, with perhaps a few seconds delay. Just start recording it to DVR. Then on TV2, you can immediately start watching ("from the beginning") that program from the DVR as it is still recording.

Just remember, the satellite tuners are different from the TV outputs.

You can record 2 satellite signals in HD at the same time. You can watch the recorded HD on TV2, just downrezzed to SD.

BTW, you can watch an HD satellite program on TV2 as it airs, with perhaps a few seconds delay. Just start recording it to DVR. Then on TV2, you can immediately start watching ("from the beginning") that program from the DVR as it is still recording.

Huh?! You can watch TV2 live or from the buffer in HD, but from the DVR it's SD? I wonder why then they didn't make TV2 Output switchable between HD or SD. Then you could use it as the perfect transition reciever as you replace SDTVs with HDTVs throughout the house.
I'm definitely hooked on DVR capabilities. I usually don't start watching a hour long tv program till at least :15 after it starts.
Now if I can just have DVR and HD without taking a second mortgage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts