VIP722 Hard Drive Noise

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

shimma

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
I've had a VIP722 for two weeks and still can't get past the subtle whirring sound coming from it both powered and on "standy." The CSRs say that the unit is always "on" but that it shouldn't make an audible sound from six feet away. I hear the thing the minute I walk into the viewing area in the morning before turning on the tv and the 722.

I've ordered a replacement but I fear that the new one won't be any different, based on CNET's review of the 622.

Any opinions out there? Thank you.

I have an a/v receiver with every thing plugged into it. So when I want to watch tv I have to turn on the a/v receiver with surround sound 5.1 , so I don't hear anything but sound from the tv and the 5 speakers. I couldn't hear the sound from my 722 if I tried.

The 722 does make a continuous but slight whirring sound.

So does my TiVo Series3

So did my cable-co-provided Scientific Atlanta DVR.

Any DVR will make some type of noise due to the internal hard drive, and the fans necessary to cool everything.

One thing I *did* learn early on was that having a DVR in the entertainment center caused a harmonic from the vibrations against the bottom of the cabinet -- kind of like a passive amplifier. I lowered the noise a bit by putting a rubber mat under the DVR. Later, I moved the DVR out of the entertainment center and into an equipment rack that is open on all four sides and has very solid shelves, and now I can barely hear anything at all.

Thank you. The issue became more interesting tonight when I installed the replacement 722 UPS delivered only four hours ago. Unbelievably but thankfully the new unit is WAY more quiet! No comparison. Sure, it emits a tiny sound but nothing as intrusive as the 722 it replaced. The CSRs agreed that the HDD or fan was probably faulty.

Unfortunately this second box will not connect to the same filtered DSL phone line as before! After 2 hours of troubleshooting the final HD Advanced Troubleshooter gave up and arranged to ship a third 722!

Incidentally, I was dismayed that todays arrival had multiple scratches on the front end as if it had been dragged across a rug. This is obviously refurbished equipment.

What an exhausting experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)