VIP722 Hard Drive Question

rverette

Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Brentwood
So, my 622 died and was replaced by a Dish Tech with a brand new VIP722 on 12/14/08. Last week, it went belly up! (Fan ran at full speed all the time, the screen only showed a white vertical bar across 1/5 of the screen, and no amount of rebooting or time unplugged would help)

So today I received a refurbished VIP722 from Dish. (OK, that sucks, but I know... I know)

Here's my question: Seeing that I bought the original receiver, I believe that I own this one. (That, plus I pay no lease fee) So I want to take my hard drive out of the bad unit and put into the replacement so I don't loose programming but more importantly, my settings will be there.

How can I do that? What are the steps? I hope there's enough expertise to help me. (I'm not afraid of opening the case, so don't worry about the skills. I just need a proper order to do things in, like activate, then swap, or viceversa)

Rod

Last edited:
If you have long enough SATA and power cables available, you can do it without removing the drive from either unit.

Otherwise, there's a small sticker that says "warranty void if tampered" and you can't remove the drive without tampering.

Actually he could, but it will require to remove front panel and unscrew four screws to release the cartridge, then bend it for 40-50 degree and unscrew disk's screws.

BTW, Dish learned the trick and now placing the sticker to an edge of disk holder close to HDD connectors in 722k, but other way still work - using hair dryer to peel the sticker :).

Put a fan on the new 722 while you are at it, and the see thread about 622/722 running hot (temps). They run hot and the HDD died on one of mine already.

It was about 7 months, and it never came back after unplugging it while on vacation for a week. I know it was running hot and all the symptoms indicated a HDD going out and finally dying.

I have successfully removed and replaced the HDD on my 622 without disturbing the sticker.

Did this the first time I ripped programs off to my PC so I could put the drive in the PC, now I just leave it in the receiver and disconnect the SATA cable.

It is possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)