VIP722 - if TV1 is turned on, TV2 controls don't work

diestler

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Denver
Not sure if this is a known problem, but I couldn't find anything on it. I have two VIP722s (4 tvs), have had them for about 4 years now. No problems. While visiting my in-laws, who also have one 722, when someone was watching tv in the living room (TV1), you weren't able to control TV2 in the bedroom. If you pressed a button on the remote a dozen times it might work once. Thought it was a battery issue, nope. Still the same problem. The really crazy part is I'm talking about TV1 being on, not the receiver, not the tuner, the actual TV power. As soon as you turned off the TV power (receiver and tuner still on for TV1), the remote would be able to control TV2 no problem. I thought this was completely nuts and made ZERO sense. How can it be related to the TV power? Maybe the tuner or receiver, I could somewhat understand some sort of bug there, but the TV power? Really?

So back to our house, we've never experienced this problem, until recently. Now we are starting to have a similar problem on our 722s.

Anyone else experience this? Fix?

The television is causing interference. Is the TV2 remote antenna back-fed to the second TV location? If not, you should try that. You may even need to use the attenuator.

The television is causing interference. Is the TV2 remote antenna back-fed to the second TV location? If not, you should try that. You may even need to use the attenuator.
Both of our TV2s are back-fed with coax cable directly from wall to tv. I'm assuming the in-laws is the same. If you think I need an attenuator, any tips on a cheap one to test out? See that fixes the problem.

Last edited:
Is your receiver sitting close to the TV? As said earlier, it's probably interference, usually caused by the TV's back-lighting setting. Turn off the backlight and any other "auto bright" settings. If this would work (the TV2 remote works properly) and you want to restore those features, get some coax and move the antenna away from the TV, or follow the above provided diagram. HDMI cable should have noting to do with it.

Thanks for all the tips, I've done some additional testing. This is definitely a problem in our house, just can't believe it's really never come up until recently. Both tv's/boxes are doing it. TV1 on, can't control TV2. TV1 off, no control problems.

I have discovered if I point the TV2 remote in a specific spot (not even toward box or tv), it will work and bi-pass the interference. So now I need to figure out if it's worth the hassle of getting splitters when it's not ESSENTIAL, just more of an annoyance then anything.

The reason I'm hesitant to get splitters is because the 722s are already being split twice - so that just confuses the hook up even more. Not the best pic, but this is what it currently looks like with two splits.

Attachments

• photo(5).JPG
    photo(5).JPG
    314.6 KB · Views: 194
Thanks for all the tips, I've done some additional testing. This is definitely a problem in our house, just can't believe it's really never come up until recently. Both tv's/boxes are doing it. TV1 on, can't control TV2. TV1 off, no control problems.

I have discovered if I point the TV2 remote in a specific spot (not even toward box or tv), it will work and bi-pass the interference. So now I need to figure out if it's worth the hassle of getting splitters when it's not ESSENTIAL, just more of an annoyance then anything.

The reason I'm hesitant to get splitters is because the 722s are already being split twice - so that just confuses the hook up even more. Not the best pic, but this is what it currently looks like with two splits.

It looks like they back-fed tv2 using diplexers. An easier solution may be to get an UHF antenna antenna and connect to the receiver where the little remote antenna is. You may have one laying around to test with:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-UHF-VHF-Digital-Indoor-Antenna/20976672

You can try a piece of coax to move the antenna away from the receiver to see if you can find a location where it will work.
I was going to try that but the antenna is 'male' and my coax is 'male' - so I couldn't easily test that. Plus one of my tv downstairs is in a cut out in the wall, so I can't really stretch the coax outside of that cut out. Might work on tv upstairs, but not downstairs in the cut out:(

Have you verified that the DVR isn't in single mode?
Not sure where that even is in the menu, but it must be related to TV1 interference as the others eluded too, right? I CAN control TV2 with TV1 being on, but the remote has to be pointed in an exact spot.

It looks like they back-fed tv2 using diplexers. An easier solution may be to get an UHF antenna antenna and connect to the receiver where the little remote antenna is. You may have one laying around to test with:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-UHF-VHF-Digital-Indoor-Antenna/20976672
Like the price, not sure about having another piece of equipment behind all my boxes - it's already such a mess back there, don't really want bunny ears sticking up. If I get desperate I will definitely keep it in mind though. Thanks.

Like the price, not sure about having another piece of equipment behind all my boxes - it's already such a mess back there, don't really want bunny ears sticking up. If I get desperate I will definitely keep it in mind though. Thanks.

Understandable. We did an install one time and TV2 was at the other end of the home, so the remote did not work very well. The line going to it was already diplexed, so we could not use it to back-feed the remote antenna.

We took about 10ft of coax and stripped it bare. We then stapled it around the back of the entertainment center and plugged it in to the remote antenna port. It is not noticeable at all and has been working great to this day.

I CAN control TV2 with TV1 being on, but the remote has to be pointed in an exact spot.
That is an issue that can only be fixed by tinkering with the remote antenna setup. Whether or not you have the parts handy is inconsequential.

No conventional TV (as opposed to a LASER TV or some other exotic) should interfere with a UHF remote. Plasmas (and a few LCDs) are widely known for messing with IR remotes but bringing that up in a thread involving a UHF remote is a red herring.

Thanks for the all info guys, really appreciate it. Definitely have some options now to get this thing fixed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)