VIP722 Improvement Suggestion to Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
When watching a timer program that is still recording, there are no stop and resume buttons if you want to stop watching it. We watch timer programs all the time that are still recording. If we want to stop watching it for any reason, there is no way to stop or resume the recording. When we are ready to watch the recording again, you have to start over and try to remember the recording time you left off at so you can fast forward to that spot. Tivo and MOXI DVRs have a stop and resume button in their program for this situation. I think this could be added with a software update. What do yall think?

Yes, I understand, and I think that would be great as I, too, on occasion watch it as it is being recorded (chasing playback). It is one nice thing about the TiVo. However, I doubt that would ever change as it would be a pretty big challenge for Dish to do this without risking patent violation for such a minor feature that most on Dish really don't find at all a problem. Dish has the engineers working on the 922 and the new menu changes to come to all ViP's very soon.

I think one will have to accept a lot of the very small operational differences of each DVR. I can fill a list of things the TiVo doesn't do that Dish DVR's do, but TiVo isn't going to put effort in making those changes for the same patent concerns and TiVo fanboys just don't find the lacking features at all important to them when what they really want (myself included) is at least a 3rd tuner and a stable HD UI on the Premiere. I for one accept those little warts as one would in different makes of cars and how each seems to have a different design for the dashboard and different chimes, but not all the desired annunciaters and using red for the speedometer is distracting as one thinks of a hazard warning light instead of using green or blue and I can pop the trunk from the glove compartment in this car, but not the other and I don't like the environment controls on one care but love them in another. Such is each DVR on the minuscule scale. Like how various brands of VCR's were different in many small ways, but we accept it as each company working with proprietary limitations.

Yes, I understand, and I think that would be great as I, too, on occasion watch it as it is being recorded (chasing playback). It is one nice thing about the TiVo. However, I doubt that would ever change as it would be a pretty big challenge for Dish to do this without risking patent violation for such a minor feature that most on Dish really don't find at all a problem. Dish has the engineers working on the 922 and the new menu changes to come to all ViP's very soon.

I think one will have to accept a lot of the very small operational differences of each DVR. I can fill a list of things the TiVo doesn't do that Dish DVR's do, but TiVo isn't going to put effort in making those changes for the same patent concerns and TiVo fanboys just don't find the lacking features at all important to them when what they really want (myself included) is at least a 3rd tuner and a stable HD UI on the Premiere. I for one accept those little warts as one would in different makes of cars and how each seems to have a different design for the dashboard and different chimes, but not all the desired annunciaters and using red for the speedometer is distracting as one thinks of a hazard warning light instead of using green or blue and I can pop the trunk from the glove compartment in this car, but not the other and I don't like the environment controls on one care but love them in another. Such is each DVR on the minuscule scale. Like how various brands of VCR's were different in many small ways, but we accept it as each company working with proprietary limitations.

DishSubLA, I think you hit the nail on the head about Dish not doing this fix/change because of patent violation issues. I think this will be an easy update to do once the TIVO/Dish lawsuit is settled. My neighbors just had AT&T U-verse installed and their DVR can be stopped/resumed while watching a current show and stay there. So that makes TIVO, Direct TV, AT&T U-verse, Charter's Moxi/Motorola DVRs that don't have this issue that I know of. Not sure about Comcast or the other cable companies. So I think this should be an easy fix/change/update in the future if Dish wins the TIVO lawsuit issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts