Vip722 Outputs

varaonaid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Hi,

I'm wondering what the output options are for the 722. Is it possible to have more than one TV connected and using the *same* channels as the main TV? So could I set it up for single TV mode and use an RF remote to control the unit from a different room? I don't have a reason for a second receiver at this point in terms of using them simultaneously so this would be a great benefit.

Thanks!

Yes. In Single mode you can connect your main TV using HDMI and another TV using component +audio (or the other way around if you want). I have had 1 HDMI, 1 component +audio, and also the s-video +audio all connected and all received signal. Watched same game on 2 TVs and also recorded to DVD over svideo. This is with receiver in single mode. All outputs from TV1 are active at the same time. I don't recall having problems using the RF remote when we did this.

Here's a really silly reason to be happy about this feature...
Remodeling kitchen. Narrowed down to 2 designs. Design #1 would remove walls and reconfigure structurally and main TV would be viewable from the kitchen.
Design #2 had a lot more cupboard space, but could not see main TV from kitchen.

Solution?
Use Deign #2 and Install 27" flat panel LCD in kitchen and run "simulcast" mode from dish receiver :)

Savings?
right about $12,000 heheheh

VERY worth it

The 722 outputs HDMI, Component, Composite and RF. Yes, you can use the 722 in single mode and have its picture displayed on more than one TV at the same time, You can also use the UHF remote on the TV in the other room(s).

Hi,

I'm wondering what the output options are for the 722. Is it possible to have more than one TV connected and using the *same* channels as the main TV? So could I set it up for single TV mode and use an RF remote to control the unit from a different room? I don't have a reason for a second receiver at this point in terms of using them simultaneously so this would be a great benefit.

Thanks!

In addition to what has already been said, if you turn the RF Modulation on in the setup menus (Menu, 6, 1, 5) you can turn on the Tuner1 Modulation. This will allow any tv hooked up through the "Home Distribution" Coax port on the 722 to see the channels of both tuners (you would set what channels you want the 722 to output to. Once the modulator is turned on, you just use a splitter to split the signal and send it to as many tvs as you want to see it. We have 4 tuners all hooked up to 5 tvs.

The only issue you may have with this setup, is that Tuner1 (on both the 625 and 722) are IR, so they have to have line of sight to the receiver in order to change them. If you don't mind not being able to change the channel, this opens up access to all tuners from multiple TVs.

Geoff

PS-We use both our 722 and 625 in Duel Mode so that the tv we intended to have them on, would have the access to the tuner when we want.

Last edited:
In addition to what has already been said, if you turn the RF Modulation on in the setup menus (Menu, 6, 1, 5) you can turn on the Tuner1 Modulation. This will allow any tv hooked up through the "Home Distribution" Coax port on the 722 to see the channels of both tuners (you would set what channels you want the 722 to output to. Once the modulator is turned on, you just use a splitter to split the signal and send it to as many tvs as you want to see it. We have 4 tuners all hooked up to 5 tvs.

The only issue you may have with this setup, is that Tuner1 (on both the 625 and 722) are IR, so they have to have line of sight to the receiver in order to change them. If you don't mind not being able to change the channel, this opens up access to all tuners from multiple TVs.

Geoff

PS-We use both our 722 and 625 in Duel Mode so that the tv we intended to have them on, would have the access to the tuner when we want.

Wow! I don't fully understand all the technology of what you said here since I don't have a 722 (yet ;) ) but I think I get the gist of what you're saying. That's a fantastic setup. It's cool that there are ways to think "outside the box" so to speak on the setup. It's the "Home Distribution Port" that confused me a bit. Can you please explain more about that feature of the 722?

Thanks again!

Wow! I don't fully understand all the technology of what you said here since I don't have a 722 (yet ;) ) but I think I get the gist of what you're saying. That's a fantastic setup. It's cool that there are ways to think "outside the box" so to speak on the setup. It's the "Home Distribution Port" that confused me a bit. Can you please explain more about that feature of the 722?

Thanks again!

On the 722, there are outputs for Tuner1 (I believe they are HDMI, Component, and S-Video and possibly the Red-Yellow-White). There are also outputs for Tuner2 (S-Video, Component-Red, Yellow, White, and something else). Then there is the "Home Distribution" Port. This is the Coax output. When you initially setup the 722 it will only output Tuner2. You have to go into the setup and turn on the RF Modulator for Tuner1. Once that is done, you can tune any TV hooked up to the Coax from the 722 to either channel (that you have the modulator setup to).

For instance, in our setup up, the 722 is Modulated for Channels 73 and 75. The 625 is set for channels 4 and 85 (some are cable modulation and some are off air modulation due to one of our TVs). After setting up the 722 (and 625) we then used splitters (some in reverse and some like regular splitters) to combine the signals to put all 4 channels into all of the outputs going to the 5 TVs. This allows any of our TVs to see any of the tuners.

In short, the Home Distribution is what Dish has labeled the Coax Output on the 722.

Hope that helps clarify it,
Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the additional info. That really did help me to understand it better. That's a very cool feature to have on the 722! I was kinda down about the $7 additional receiver plus an additional $5.98 if I wanted a DVR on the second receiver so knowing I can setup multiple TV's that way is very cool. :D

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the additional info. That really did help me to understand it better. That's a very cool feature to have on the 722! I was kinda down about the $7 additional receiver plus an additional $5.98 if I wanted a DVR on the second receiver so knowing I can setup multiple TV's that way is very cool. :D

Not sure what you mean by the "$7 additional receiver fee." I know they charge an "HD Enabling Fee" that is $7, but that is only if you DO NOT subscribe to HD. Is that the $7 fee you are referring to? If so, others have mentioned subscribing to the $10 HD Pack as you then get at least the HD Counterparts to the SD Channels you currently have.

In addition, the 722 WILL downconvert the HD signal to work on an SD set. For instance, we get NHL Network on our 722. Since it is only HD, we don't get it on our 625 (which is hooked up to my bedroom tv). Since I occasionally like to watch it, I will sometimes tune in to it on the 722 and watch it from that tuner on my SD TV in my Bedroom.

My recommendation would be to subscribe to the $10 HD Pack so you get the HD Counterparts (which in my opinion have a better Picture Quality), since you will only save $3 by not going with this package. Hope that helps,
Geoff

Hey Geoff,

I definitely plan of subscribing to one of the HD packs. Not sure which one yet...it will partially depend on what HD they add over the next month or two - but one way or the other, I really want HD!

As to the $7 receiver fee, it was new to me, and maybe I misunderstood...but I used the "Dish Builder" thing on dishnetwork.com to see what different options would cost on programming, receivers, etc. When I added a second receiver to my theoretical setup, it added a $7 additional receiver fee to the $5.98 DVR fee for the first 722. When I then changed the second receiver to a DVR receiver, it added another $5.98 for a grand total of $18.96 in fees just for the receiver and DVRs! Yikes! I didn't like the sound of that. Perhaps I did something wrong in how I setup the Dish Builder but it did add all those fees. That's why I was so excited to hear a great workaround for hooking up multiple TV's. $18.96 is a heckuva lot for nothing more than equipment fees, IMHO.

Anyway, thanks for the addition info. It's cool that the 722 will show the downconverted HD programming! I wouldn't have realized the differences in the two receiver models. Now, I'm actually looking forward to moving so I can get my dish all setup!!!

Hey Geoff,

I definitely plan of subscribing to one of the HD packs. Not sure which one yet...it will partially depend on what HD they add over the next month or two - but one way or the other, I really want HD!

As to the $7 receiver fee, it was new to me, and maybe I misunderstood...but I used the "Dish Builder" thing on dishnetwork.com to see what different options would cost on programming, receivers, etc. When I added a second receiver to my theoretical setup, it added a $7 additional receiver fee to the $5.98 DVR fee for the first 722. When I then changed the second receiver to a DVR receiver, it added another $5.98 for a grand total of $18.96 in fees just for the receiver and DVRs! Yikes! I didn't like the sound of that. Perhaps I did something wrong in how I setup the Dish Builder but it did add all those fees. That's why I was so excited to hear a great workaround for hooking up multiple TV's. $18.96 is a heckuva lot for nothing more than equipment fees, IMHO.

Anyway, thanks for the addition info. It's cool that the 722 will show the downconverted HD programming! I wouldn't have realized the differences in the two receiver models. Now, I'm actually looking forward to moving so I can get my dish all setup!!!

No problem. I would give Claude at Dishstore.net a call in the morning and let him know what you are interested in. Dishstore.net is a Gold Sponsor of Satelliteguys.us, which means they contribute to this forum and they also have some really good deals for the equipment. He (or someone on his staff) would be able to tell you exactly what fees you will be paying.

After talking to you, it sounds like the $7 fee is the Leased Receiver Fee. However, I am not certain of the fees, but Dishstore would get you squared away (and you would be helping out the forum in the process).

Geoff

Thanks Geoff. I'm glad to help out the forum since it's such a great resource for so many!

One question, I was a previous customer of Dish so technically, this will be an "upgrade" rather than a new account. Can Dishstore set me up with that or are they new accounts only? I'm embarrassed to say the receiver that I have (that we haven't used in about 3 years now) is a 301 w/ a Dish 500. Gee, I'm feeling retro at the moment... obviously the equipment will need to be upgraded!

Again, thanks so much!!!

Thanks Geoff. I'm glad to help out the forum since it's such a great resource for so many!

One question, I was a previous customer of Dish so technically, this will be an "upgrade" rather than a new account. Can Dishstore set me up with that or are they new accounts only? I'm embarrassed to say the receiver that I have (that we haven't used in about 3 years now) is a 301 w/ a Dish 500. Gee, I'm feeling retro at the moment... obviously the equipment will need to be upgraded!

Again, thanks so much!!!

I'm not sure if they can do upgrades or not, but it would be worth calling just to find out.

As for the old receiver, up until our upgrade in September, we had a 510 that we first got when we started approximately 10 years ago. Just haven't need to change much until recently.

Geoff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)