VIP722 power to fans & light strip

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mzta9

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Atlanta
So I have 2 USB cooling fans and a USB powered LED TV back light strip as part of my 722 setup. Problem is that the USB connector on the 722 is always on. With the fans constantly running and the TV backlight strip on 24/7 it is difficult to sleep in that room. I wish the 722 or my TV had a USB connector that would only come on when the TV is turned on, but neither one does.

I used a little 24 hour 120v mechanical timer for a while (the one with the little tabs you set on/off for each hour of the day), to only power the backlight and fans from 8am to12midnight, but it's impossible to know when someone will want to watch TV and I only want these devices on when the TV or 722 is on.

If anyone has suggestions, I will appreciate it very much!

Go back to your idea with the power outlet, but instead of the timer, get a remote control power outlet adapter. Then you can use the small remote control to turn it on and off as desired. It wouldn't be automatic, but at least it would be fairly easy to use it only when desired. :D

Something like this from Amazon:
Amazon product ASIN B001Q9EFUK
Just an example, there are many other styles, too. I have this specific one in my garage for some additional lighting I use occasionally. Works well!

Reactions: navychop
The 722 really never shuts down, even when off, and powering the fans with the 722's usb port probably makes it run hotter. a separate supply for the fans would be better.
I modify my 722k's internal fan to fun continually by removing the fan plug from the mother board, sicking two 18 gauge wires in the plug, and plug these new wires into the hard drive power socket 5 volt tap. this way the fan runs at a relatively low speed which is not that loud and drops the temp considerably. no hoaky external fan setup needed. dish would never know about the mod if warranty was needed, just put back to normal.
My receivers are7-8 years old with original drives.

I have a single USB external fan with an adjustable speed knob. I set the speed to the optimum balance between air flow and acoustics. I can barely hear it, and it is good to have it running 24/7 as even when "off", the HDD is still powered and working.

Appreciate all the suggestions! My solution for now was to jerry-rig an old external SATA HDD enclosure plugged into a mechanical timer. Used the 5v rail to power the TV back-light and the 12v rail to power the fans. I think I will upgrade to a smart power strip though for better power efficiency. I'm surprised nobody suggested this. Example: TrickleStar 7 Outlet Advanced PowerStrip

You'll have to use the TV as the master device. The satellite receiver never really changes in how much power it consumes. It is about the same on or off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts