VIP722K and King Dome 9704

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mrschwarz

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 17, 2004
So I upgraded from a 211 to 722. I got a dish on a tripod and figured that I would have to learn how to aim it. I would use that when I was staying somewhere for a while. When I am traveling, I would hook up the King Dome to tuner 1 and only have a single tuner DVR. I got a coax switch for tuner 1, hooked it up to the King Dome, did a switch test and everything was working fine. About 2 days later, while watching TV, the screen went blank and I got a message telling me I had a complete signal loss. I shut the DVR off for a few hours and turned it back on. It started working again. A couple of days later the same thing happened.

Can anyone explain what is going on? Is there something I can do to fix this or do I have a defective receiver?

Thanks in advance for your help.

When I first started full-timing, I had a Winegard AS-2003 single LNBF dish and a VIP622. I had problems until Dish sent some option to disable the second tuner. Appartently the tuners float more than we think between the coax inputs

I later ran a coax cable from the bedroom where the other cable from the roof dish to the living room so I had two inputs. Dish reactivated the second tuner and life was better.

Thanks for all the suggestions. There is a separator that allowed the installer to run a single line to the receiver from the tripod dish. I tried connecting the input of the separator to the output of the King Dome. The problem is with the check switch. When it is performed, tuners 1 and 2 aren't always on the same step of the test. During it, the receiver tries all of the satellites. I can hear the King Dome switching between them. If the step on tuner 1 wants 110 and the different step on tuner 2 wants 119, for example, only one of them gets its wish. After the test was completed, neither tuner had all three satellites. That's when I tried to connect only tuner 1. It works for while and then I get the total loss.

If I perform another check switch, it finds all of the satellites, but never acquires a signal. I leave it unplugged for a period of time (I'm not quite sure why the time matters), turn it back on and all is well. I'll give King and Dish a call. I anticipate that King will say they don't support dual tuner receivers and Dish will say 'What's a King Dome'.

On page 28 of the 9704 troubleshooting guide, it shows an aux cable that can be run from dome to a secondary receiver. connect a cable from aux out to tuner 2 of the vip 722 and you should not have any more problems. drjohn

would connecting the second line to tuner 2 be any different than using a separator on a single line.

would connecting the second line to tuner 2 be any different than using a separator on a single line.
You have a dish that can only see one satellite at a time so you can't have one tuner looking for 110 and the second tuner looking for 119. That is why a single turner receiver is suggested.

You have a dish that can only see one satellite at a time so you can't have one tuner looking for 110 and the second tuner looking for 119. That is why a single turner receiver is suggested.

Thanks. I understand your recommendation, but it's not relevant to my question. My other tuner is a 211 with and external hard drive. Its limitations finally got to me, which is why I upgraded. I got a 1000.2 on a tripod for when I am spending some time somewhere and am not in travel mode. As I said in my original post, I was using the King Dome connected to tuner 1 with nothing connected to tuner 2 when traveling. It works fine in that mode for a couple of days before it loses the signal completely. I am trying to figure out why is works fine for a couple of days, then loses the signal. I know I can't see more than one satellite at a time.

I hooked up tuner 2 to the second satellite out of the dome. The check switch ran fine for both tuners. I then connected both tuners to the separator. No signal on tuner 2. I'll see if it dies after a day or two, though.

Like Brussam said, it will switch between tuners. To work consistently ssignal must be fed to both tuners

Not all dome LNBFs have the built-in switch logic that in necessary for a separator to work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)