VIP722k seems to shutoff daily

RadNuker

Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
Northern KY
I have two VIP722k in the house. The act differently. One seems to shut-off sometime in the night. When I turn it on, it runs through the Dish startup screen and then "acquires signal". It then needs to download the menu information.

This is a problem because I have to wait several minutes before watching TV. Then I wait longer for the program menu to populate, and worst of all my daily programs do not record.

The other unit does not do that. When I turn that unit on, I see a menu that instructs me to push the select key to watch TV. My programs always record.

I called Dish, who then sent me a new unit. The new unit does the same thing.

Both units seem identical in every way. Both units are connected to the same satellite dish. My good unit works perfectly all the time, no issues.

The unit in question will record the program if the DVR is on when it is time to record, but doesn't seem to turn on otherwise at the scheduled time. The picture looks excellent. The unit works perfectly when it is turned on.

Any ideas as to why he seems to be turned completely off sometime during the 24 hour cycle?

I have my computer on the same power circuit and it doesn't lose power.

The only thing that comes to mind is overheating or an issue with the antenna dish.

I am stumped.

Contact a DIRT member here it sounds like you have one that has problems. Get it replaced since you have just started with the company it shouldn't cost anything.:welcome to the forum

Is the 722K in question connected via HDMI? Seems like I have read around these forums that this has been an issue caused by HDMI and certain TV sets before...

Maybe try component.

Maybe check the TV for some sort of power settings, IDK...

Thanks for the responses.

The 722k is connected to a Samsung LCD via HDMI.

When I turn on the DVD player connected to that same TV it automatically turns on the TV if it is not already on.

Restarting is not an HDMI to TV problem it's hardware problem.

Well, he said it works perfectly when the DVR is on, and multiple receivers seem to do the exact same thing, therefore I deducted that it must only do this when he turns off his TV.

Can't find anything on satguys (too lazy really,) but here are three posts that point it out to be an HDMI problem, with a specific TV setting, particularly on Samsung TVs, but others as well, where when the TV is turned off, the VIP receiver is also shut down completely.

samsung tv shuts off dish 722 - High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

DVR 722k Turns off - Big problem - High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Dish 722K shuts down - High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

3HaloODST said:
Well, he said it works perfectly when the DVR is on, and multiple receivers seem to do the exact same thing, therefore I deducted that it must only do this when he turns off his TV.

Can't find anything on satguys (too lazy really,) but here are three posts that point it out to be an HDMI problem, with a specific TV setting, particularly on Samsung TVs, but others as well, where when the TV is turned off, the VIP receiver is also shut down completely.

samsung tv shuts off dish 722 - High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

DVR 722k Turns off - Big problem - High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Dish 722K shuts down - High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

+1

Only other thing I can think of is the new smart surge protectors. When the surge sees the tv power of it shuts of a few of the other outlets to conserve energy

Exactly what I was going to say.. you have a smart surge protector that senses when the tv is off and it turns off eveything else plugged into the strip. Mover to a non-protetectd outlet for the 722 and it should fix the problem. A full reboot is an indication of the plug being pulled and that is what the smart surge protects do. It does not sound like a 722 problem.

Thank you 3HaloODST. You figured it out. I now believe my Samsung TV was turning off the DVR via WISELINK. I set Anynet+ to off and the problem has stopped. I am grateful!!

OMG! I think I have the same problem. just that I can't wake up the receiver via remote (SELECT) button after it was turned off overnight and I have a Samsung TV too. I'm going to try to see if I can find this Wiselink thingy and turn it off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)