VIP722K & VIP622 - Combine OTA and SAT signals in one cable

generj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
I would like to have an outside antenna installed and have the signal combines with the SAT signal on the exterior of the house. In the interior of the home, I would then use a splitter to split the signals and connect the OTA and the SAT signals to the proper connections on the back of each receiver. I believe I had read a recent post that indicated that this was doable. I had an A/V contractor come out this morning and they indicated that it could not be done without running a seperate line into the house.

I am on WA and do not know what equipment is used at the SAT itself.

Can anyone tell me if combining the two signals and then splitting them will work? In addition, if this can be done, does anyone know of an installer in the Tucson area that I could contact?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the response. I was not clear in that I meant one cable for each VIP. I am being told that it needs a powered amplifier but I have my doubts as I am within 35 miles of the towers and an indoor antenna works just fine 99% of the time.

Ok. JM42 is right.

A pre-amp (on the antenna) helps with weak signals.

A distribution amp helps split an incoming signal and distribute it to several receivers.

If there are only two receivers, a splitter will most likely be all you need.

If you can currently receive OTA just fine, as you indicate, you don't need a pre-amp either. But an outdoor antenna may be better.

I have done what you describe. It works just fine.

If you want both TVs to have OTA, take the coax from the OTA antenna into a splitter. Take one of the splitter's outputs, and one of the coax from the dish, to the diplexer. One coax comes out of the diplexer to near the receiver, where the other diplexer will be. That coax goes in, two come out; one to the sat input (they're marked) and the other to the TV Ant input (or directly to the TV if you prefer). Do the same for the other receiver, from the other output from the splitter.

Cheap and easy and it works.

Now for the bad news. This won't work with the Hopper/Joey system, which is a whole different creature. Picture your current system as a pony, and the H/J as a unicorn. You feed one hay, the other, magic.