Vip922 sling link interference with ethernet

brinack

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Hello,

My first post as its my first few days with Dish Network.

Not new to the satellite game, or to networking or computers but the new VIP 922 setup has me wondering about my setup.

I have a 922 (Master bedroom), 612 (living room), 211k (kids room).

I decided to wire up the house with Cat6 everywhere except kids room (dumb move I know).

The 922 and 612 are connected with wired ethernet to a DIR-655 router. The installer installed a slinglink powerline ethernet kit so the kids 211k could connect to the internet.

Last night as the 922 was going through its initial install I noticed there were a ton of connects and disconnects and overall very slow downloads to it. I cut out the netgear switch I have in the bedroom and everything. Same problem.

I then got to thinking about the 922 possibly getting ethernet from the wired ethernet and the slinglink powerline??? Is this possible or does it auto shutdown one or the other. I could not find anywhere in the settings to choose what to use.

I disconnected the slinglink and the download was still slow but awhile later it got faster and then slowed again with the same disconnects.

Today the 922 is updated but Im left with a dilemma. I dont want to go back up in the attic to wire the kids room. I dont want to buy a wireless bridge (expensive) to connect the 211k. I really want to use the slinglink since I already have it. I am worried though that the 922 and 612 will have issues with ethernet being fed to it over the powerlines and through the wired ethernet plug.

Anyone have any insight or knowledge to help me decide what to do.

Thanks in advance!

P.s. Thanks for the ton of wealth on these forums!!!!!:D

Not sure about the 922, but my 722 had two IP addresses allocated to it on for the Ethernet port and one for DISHCOM. Each device has its own MAC address. When I would reset the connection it would the information displayed was switched back and forth. I don't know if the receiver was actively trying to uses each device.

If your router includes a MAC filtering feature, see if you can get it to not allocate an IP address to the ViP922's powerline adapter.

If the receiver isn't smart enough to use the faster interface when both are active, that's a major problem.

If the 922 is anything like the 722/622 it will "choose" to use the homeplug connection instead of the wired ethernet connection.
Your choices are:
No internet to kids room
Run the Cat6
Get/use a pair of homeplug adapters and change the password on them to something other than "homeplug" (this is what I did for my 722K)

The option I chose was to not use the ethernet port. I don't use the broadband for anything other than the box calling home. I did download some Dish-on-line on my 622 and the ethernet port was definitely faster than the Homeplug. And the 622 seemed to default to the Homeplug. Maybe because the Homeplug was plugged into an APC UPS. And yes, broadband did work, just slow. I then plugged the 622 into an multi-outlet that would not pass broadband in order to get the best speed. If Dish ever gets Dish-on-line working on the 922 I may do that again. I have used the Sling feature a few times via the Homeplug and it worked fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)