Virginia: Did Cable Steal Our Website?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
As some of you may know, I am the Citizens Representative co-chair for Cable Choice Now!, an group advocating cable choices for all Virginians. Our website www.cablechoicenow.org has been operational for more than 3 months. Anyway, I just noticed the cable pundits have recently changed their tune (which is good) and, in fact, stood up a website that is eerily similar to our own: same style, same message, they are even using the exact same software. While I am glad to see the cable pundits doing a 180 and endorsing the citizenry having access to addition cable choices, I am somewhat dismayed at their lack of initiative.

Checkout: http://www.truecablecompetition.com

Ok, it is me or did these people steal our website?

riffjim4069 said:
As some of you may know, I am the Citizens Representative co-chair for Cable Choice Now!, an group advocating cable choices for all Virginians. Our website www.cablechoicenow.org has been operational for more than 3 months. Anyway, I just noticed the cable pundits have recently changed their tune (which is good) and, in fact, stood up a website that is eerily similar to our own: same style, same message, they are even using the exact same software. While I am glad to see the cable pundits doing a 180 and endorsing the citizenry having access to addition cable choices, I am somewhat dismayed at their lack of initiative.

Checkout: http://www.truecablecompetition.com

Ok, it is me or did these people steal our website?

this site: http://www.truecablecompetition.com/ has a better looking female on the main page. :rolleyes: I'm sorry, I couldn't resist but I see what your saying. :p

They say imitation is the sincerest form there of flattery. Personally, I thought it was pretty funny to see how cable is now echoing the statements we have been making the past six months. Here in Virginia we've reached a compromise at the legislative level: telcos will be able to compete almost immediately in all areas of the state, but they will be subject to certainly build-out requirements: 65% within 7 years and 80% within 10 years.

Just a few points of interest:

1. Compromise legislation (build-out requirements) won't affect Verizon one iota since it is their intention to build-out the most populated areas. It's a matter of population density because studies have repeatedly shown that even the poorest areas spend just as much on cable TV service as the affluent areas. Why should they be denied access to better, cheaper cable TV services?

2. The compromise legislation is actually less favorable to those LFAs who have been waiting for state legislators to settle this issue. They can no longer negotiate more favorable build-out requirements in their franchise agreements. Just as long as Verizon meets the 65%/80% requirement at some distant point in the future, they really have very little say in how quickly Verizon (and others) roll-out their cable TV services.

3. Offhand, this legislation appears to hurt the small "upstart" provider. For example, there is no way in hell I would start my own cable company since I could not raise enough capital to meet the build-out requirement and compete against both the telcos and cable. This is not good for competition.

4. Not to fret! The build-out requirements 65/7 and 80/10 can be negotiated downward by the LFA thereby making it possible for a small company to request access to a particular area or neighborhood. Although the franchise process is somewhat subjective, I don't expect the Verizons and Comcasts will be cut much slack when it comes to mandatory build-out requirements. However, I am hopeful that the little guys (like Riff's Cable or Bob's Cable) can get their foot in the door and are allowed to compete with the major players.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)