Virginia: Telecom bill would levy 5% flat tax

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Ugh! It looks like they are going to start taxing DBS providers as well. Ugh!

Source

RICHMOND -- The House of Delegates gave preliminary approval Wednesday to legislation that would replace a hodgepodge of state and local telecommunications taxes with a flat 5 percent levy and apply the same rate to services such as satellite television and radio, which currently are not taxed.

Key Republican lawmakers also rolled out compromise legislation that would allow Verizon Communications Inc. and other telecommunications companies to compete in the cable television business in Virginia for the first time, opening the door for greater competition.

The House is expected to hold a final vote on the tax legislation today. The bill (HB 568) would apply a uniform 5 percent tax to local and long-distance telephone service, wireless communications, cable and satellite television and voice-over Internet service. The state would collect the tax and refund cities and counties for their shares of revenue -- about $425 million -- lost in the elimination of local taxes.

"It's simple, it's easy to understand," said the bill's sponsor, Del. Sam Nixon, R-Chesterfield County.

Nixon said the changes would modernize and simplify a taxing scheme developed before the widespread availability of cable, wireless and satellite technologies.

The House advanced the bill Wednesday without taking a recorded vote. The bill cleared the House Finance Committee on Monday, with several rural legislators voting against the measure. Some rural lawmakers argue that their constituents, particularly satellite television customers, would be penalized by the changes. The satellite TV industry also opposes the legislation.

"So many of my constituents are satellite subscribers," said Del. Ben Cline, R-Rockbridge County, who voted against the bill in committee.

The changes would reduce taxes on land-line and wireless telephone services in most Roanoke and New River valley localities, according to data compiled by the Virginia Telecommunications Industry Association. But most satellite television customers in those areas would see a slight increase in their overall tax bills after all the changes take effect next January.

On another front, key lawmakers announced a compromise Wednesday on legislation (HB 1404) allowing Verizon and other telecommunications firms to offer video services. The deal holds the potential of increasing competition for cable television services and expanding the area where choice is available over the next decade, said House Majority Leader Morgan Griffith, R-Salem.

"I am obviously pleased the cable competition, a long-standing goal, will soon become a reality for Virginia consumers," said Griffith, who worked with other House and Senate sponsors to craft a compromise bill.

The bill has been assigned to the House Commerce and Labor Committee.

To gain access to the television competition, telecom firms such as Verizon would have to expand their networks specified levels in local franchise areas, preventing them from limiting service to affluent markets. The prospect of Verizon cherry-picking its TV customers was a chief concerns of cable television providers. Local governments will retain an oversight role in monitoring the service, Griffith said.

"Virginia is one of several states currently examining ways of expanding consumer choice for cable services, so an agreement here may very well serve as a model for other states dealing with this issue," Griffith said.

HB568, with amendments, was approved by the House 62-35-2 on 1/26 and referred to the Senate Committee on Finance on 1/27, where it appears to be stuck there with nothing new to report: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=061&typ=bil&val=hb568

Similar legislation was passed by the House last year, but ultimately died in the Senate after strong opposition. Let's just hope HB568 meets a similar fate.

I must say, VA really taxes everything. From the value of your car every year, in Arlington Co, that I know of, to this bill, it's nuts down there. Good luck you guys.

riffjim4069 said:
According CNN/Money, New York is the 2nd highest taxing state while Virginia comes in at number 34. VA has some nickle & dime taxes, but NY takes it all in one huge chunk.

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/taxesbystate2005/index.html

I think Virginia has things that aren't really defined as TAXES but they are.

For example, a vehicle inspection sticker... where I live you buy one for state, another for county, and yet a third for town. That is just another form of a tax.

We pay taxes on the car when you buy it.... more "taxes" to title it, etc... and then pay taxes on it each year to county and town.

We are taxed on our earnings and then taxed again when we buy stuff..... Double Taxation....

dstrouth said:
I think Virginia has things that aren't really defined as TAXES but they are.

For example, a vehicle inspection sticker... where I live you buy one for state, another for county, and yet a third for town. That is just another form of a tax.

We pay taxes on the car when you buy it.... more "taxes" to title it, etc... and then pay taxes on it each year to county and town.

That was what I was talking about. Trust me, I know NY is taxed a lot, but it's usually in the form of a very high sales tax or income tax. Not the nickle and dime fees (taxes), that VA seems to have, which added up are not pennies. Anyway, sorry for taking this thread off-topic, not trying to get into a who is taxed more argument.

I don't remember my history facts well, so maybe this is wrong. But didn't we seperate from England because of Tea Ta:mad:i.E. Boston Tea Party)? Does anyone ever learn from history? :)

Shredder said:
I don't remember my history facts well, so maybe this is wrong. But didn't we seperate from England because of Tea Ta:mad:i.E. Boston Tea Party)? Does anyone ever learn from history? :)
No. While the Boston Tea Party/Tea Tax was part of the chronology of the American Revolution history, it was by no means a cause of or even probably a major contributing factor to the American Revolution. By the time the Boston Tea Party came around in 1773, the colonies already had over a decade of "Acts" that taxed the colonies and really didn't give much back in return.

All forms of government have to tax it's citizens in some form. There is no way really to finance a government without it. The Revolution basically was about "No taxation without representation". The Colonies knew that they were going to be taxed. They just wanted a say about it. Someone to stick up for them. Someone to at least make things fair so they didn't get the raw end of the deal.

In the case of the Virginia flat tax, it seems to put things at least on an even level for everyone, fairly. It doesn't look like satellite, cable, or telco providers get some type of preferentail treatment on the others. What was the effective tax rate before the flat tax? I'd be surprised if it wasn't already 5% or more for one of those providers anyways.

If you don't like the tax and thus didn't like your representation, then do something about it in your next election.

Previously the taxes were local. they were generally higher than 5% but covered fewer services. The new tax is allegedly revenue neutral that is to say that it will raise the same amount of money as the old structure---just in a different manner.

We will see on that. But this is not a case of taxation without representation. I don't see those who oppose the tax reacting quite like the colonists.

RBBrittain said:
Nope; Internet access is exempt from the tax. (I read the bill.) If it wasn't, the tax would violate the Internet Tax Freedom Act.
Your assessment is partly correct. The new Communications Tax allows the Commonwealth to tax VOIP, etc. The communications sales and use tax rate will be 5% on the following:

Local Exchange
Paging
Inter-Exchange (Both interstate and intrastate)
Cable Television
Satellite Television
Wireless
Voice over the Internet (VoIP)
A $0.75 "911 Tax" will be applied to each local exchange line (landline) and the current $0.75 "911 Fee" will continue to be applied to each wireless number.
The state communications sales and use tax, and state 911 fees and taxes replace the following currently billed taxes and fees:
Local Consumer Utility Tax (LCUT)
Local Gross Receipts Tax (BPOL) - (Only the portion above 0.5% currently billed to customers, where applicable)
Local E-911
Virginia Relay Fee
Cable Franchise Fee

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=061&typ=bil&val=hb568

If they are permitted to tax VOIP then it is only a matter of time before they attempt to tax other internet applications such as IPTV, HTTP, SMTP, etc. What good is "free" internet access when IP packets are taxed according to port, protocol and bandwidth? It's an internet usage tax anyway you view it.

Lastly, I thought the Internet Tax Freedom Act expired back in 2003?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts