Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH App Delivers Hopper Experience on PlayStation®3 and PlayStation®4 Systems Starting Spring 2014

Software-based “Virtual Joey” client connects to DISH Hopper, making live TV and recordings accessible on PlayStation® platforms

LAS VEGAS, Jan. 6, 2014 –, DISH Network L.L.C., a subsidiary of DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ:DISH), today announced that it will be launching an application that gives customers control of the Hopper® Whole-Home HD DVR on PlayStation®3 (PS3™) and PlayStation®4 (PS4™) systems starting Spring 2014. DISH’s Virtual Joey provides a nearly identical experience to the Hopper Whole-Home HD DVR’s hardware-based Joey®, making live TV and recordings accessible on PlayStation platforms.

With millions of PS3 and PS4 systems in U.S. homes, PlayStation owners with a DISH subscription will be able to stay connected with their Hopper system via a software-based Virtual Joey client. Using a customer’s home network, the Virtual Joey can connect wirelessly to the Hopper allowing for installation options where coaxial or Ethernet wiring may be difficult to access.

“DISH’s ‘Virtual Joey’ brings the industry’s most awarded DVR experience to millions of PS3 and PS4 systems already in American homes,” said Joseph P. Clayton, DISH president and CEO. “We strive to provide consumers with the best TV experience and ‘Virtual Joey’ means DISH is delivering even more choices in how and where consumers enjoy their Hopper.”

The software-based clients operate on users’ wireless or wired home networks and provide access to and control of the Hopper Whole-Home HD DVR, including live TV, recordings and navigation of the electronic program guide.

DISH expects to release the PS3 and PS4 apps to DISH customers within the first half of 2014.

To use the Hopper Whole-Home HD DVR capabilities on PS3 and PS4 systems, DISH subscribers will need to download an application from the PlayStation Store to their PlayStation 3 or PlayStation 4. DISH will provide “Virtual Joey” demos on PS3 systems in the Las Vegas Convention Center in Central Hall at booth #8243.

Problem solved: move actual PHYSICAL Joey back up to my bedroom, run the Virtual Joey on the downstairs TV when wanting to watch live/recorded programming.

Simply AWESOME.

wish they would make a virtual joey plugin for XBMC....

Any word on if there will be any extra fees for the virtual joeys? To me this is a KILLER app if they are free. Especially when/if xbox/roku/appletv versions come.

Any word on if there will be any extra fees for the virtual joeys? To me this is a KILLER app if they are free. Especially when/if xbox/roku/appletv versions come.

I'm trying to find out fees as soon as I can. I'm not sure if Scott will be able to get that info from Dish today or not. Usually at CES Dish has a retailer chat reviewing all the stuff from the presser and then they fill the retailers in on the pricing and other details. If history proves right, be prepared to be a little disappointed by the pricing. If you watched the presser you would have seen them say affordable a lot yet never mention any kind of fees. I'm assuming we'll see a fee for each new device with similar fees that we are use to.

If Dish does happen to come out with some cheap fees on these devices don't expect them to stay around long. They did this with the secondary Hopper fees and the DVR fee already.

Dish is not announcing fees here. I suspect it would be $7 a month just like having a Joey and for me I think that's silly as you might as well have a real Joey if your going to pay the same thing for it.

I hope dish reconsiders this. I have no problem with a small mirroring fee but don't agree with paying the same as having a full Joey.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Dish is not announcing fees here. I suspect it would be $7 a month just like having a Joey and for me I think that's silly as you might as well have a real Joey if your going to pay the same thing for it.

I hope dish reconsiders this. I have no problem with a small mirroring fee but don't agree with paying the same as having a full Joey.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Agreed, supplying your own equipment should get you some sort of discount. But, if you buy your own joey vs lease they charge the same :(

"But the guy on the phone said you would hook it up on my ps4, why won't it work?, he told me you would and it would WORK. I'm not paying for this crap if it don't work. Wadda mean you don't have a playstation? That ain't my fault. Is there another guy u can call to come do this right"

Oh boy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)