Virtual Joey on PS3

amv

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
The wallpaper on my Hopper says that the Dish App is now available on LG TVs & Playstation 3 devices. The Hopper Page on mydish.com also says that it is available for Playstation 3 (under the Virtual Joey) section. However, I could not find the Dish app on the Playstation Store on my PS3. Any idea how I can access the Dish App & get access on my PS3?

It will go live with the Playstation store update later today on PS3. One thing I noticed in Sony's blog post is that there's no mention of a additional receiver fee. More than likely there will be, but kinda lame if there is one that Sony doesn't explicitly mention it.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/05/20/dish-hops-onto-ps3-with-virtual-joey-app/

there is a $7 monthly fee for it and it shows up on your Dish bill. It's treated no different than a regular Joey.

Sigh... oh well... Sony should have mentioned that.

I'm not sure if that's Sony's responsibility though. All they are doing is providing access to apps, not actually selling the app or service. When a customer wants the Virtual Joey App they have to already have an active Hopper account then they need to call Dish to get the app setup and activated.

The app is available for download on the PS3 via the Sony app store.

Loads just fine and looks like a Joey startup. I didn't use the app since I already have a regular joey, but it would be nice for a guest room or some occasional use TV.

I wonder how well it works if the PS3 is set to wireless. Might make for a nice portable joey for those who have wiring issues. Would be worth at least testing...

Last edited:
there is a $7 monthly fee for it and it shows up on your Dish bill. It's treated no different than a regular Joey.
Booooooooo!

Of course, I don't have a Hopper, so I shouldn't care, but I still think it is silly that there is no discount for a Virtual receiver. I would have considered switching to the Hopper, but no sell with that set up.

Booooooooo!

Of course, I don't have a Hopper, so I shouldn't care, but I still think it is silly that there is no discount for a Virtual receiver. I would have considered switching to the Hopper, but no sell with that set up.

The beautiful thing about the Hopper is that you have choices. You do not have to get the Virtual Joey, you can use a regular Joey or Wireless Joey or even turn a regular Joey into a wireless Joey. To me it just sounds like people want to get HD programming on more TVs without having to pay for it but that's not going to happen.

Booooooooo!

A receiver is a receiver...virtual or electronic...you pay for what it delivers to your TV.

The beautiful thing about the Hopper is that you have choices. You do not have to get the Virtual Joey, you can use a regular Joey or Wireless Joey or even turn a regular Joey into a wireless Joey. To me it just sounds like people want to get HD programming on more TVs without having to pay for it but that's not going to happen.
That's exactly what I want! And it looks like I'll get what I'm paying for. :D

I feel weary about this app as I downloaded it yesterday, but did not call to activate it. I uninstalled the app, but how do I know that dish is not going to charge me because I have a ps3?

I feel weary about this app as I downloaded it yesterday, but did not call to activate it. I uninstalled the app, but how do I know that dish is not going to charge me because I have a ps3?
The app isn't even functional without activation via a CSR. Just downloading doesn't even do anything.

Because you didn't get it activated.

DISH-What's so hard about this? Doesn't the app give you a Reciever # that you just throw into your system to activate?

Because you didn't get it activated.

DISH-What's so hard about this? Doesn't the app give you a Reciever # that you just throw into your system to activate?
I'd call that intentional. Get app happy and activate it without intending to like Rusty was worried about.