virus protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadwarrior

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
Pacific NW
I figured this site was as good as any to ask about this, given all the tech-types about. Does anyone know of a good sight to download an effective, reasonably priced anti-virus?

Roadwarrior said:
I figured this site was as good as any to ask about this, given all the tech-types about. Does anyone know of a good sight to download an effective, reasonably priced anti-virus?

http://www.avast.com/

After you install it, it will run for 3 months, then after 3 months, it will instruct you to fill out a form, and will give you a free license for 18 months, you can do this even before the 3 months are up, iirc.

It is the best AV out there, IMO. It has never failed me, and has caught things in the past Norton missed, and uses very little resources comapared to Norton or McCrapfee.

AVG is good too, but not as configurable as avast, avast lets you pause/terminate/activate AV modules (like WebShield, P2P Shield, Mail Shield, IM Shield, etc), so it only uses resources for what it needs.

Last edited:
We use Avast also, because the home license is free, plus it works on Windows XP x64.

Ok, I downloaded Avast and ran it. I've done something seriously wrong because now i'm getting a buttload of pop-ups. I'm barely computer literate as it is, any ideas what I could have done?

Roadwarrior said:
Ok, I downloaded Avast and ran it. I've done something seriously wrong because now i'm getting a buttload of pop-ups. I'm barely computer literate as it is, any ideas what I could have done?

Could you elaborate on the content of the popups, do you mean advertisments?

If so, did you uninstall another AV product that may have had popup blocking protection of sorts?

Avast has no spyware or ads, it is not Avast doing it, this is a seperate issue if you are getting ad popups, you should scan your computer for malware, using, Spybot Search and Destroy, Adaware, and ewido security suite, then lock it down with spywareblaster, and whatever you do, don't use IE (when you can avoid it), use Firefox, there is a IE exploit out that has no patch, and it is nasty.

Last edited:
The pop-ups are for a spyware protection program called Errorsafe. Adaware helped a little but it's not stopping it. I obviously uninstalled/deleted something I shouldn't have, but it must have been something I didn't even realize I had.

Some people should not be allowed to operate computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)