Visionsat HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If you have any version of firmware for the Visionsat earlier than 1.45, I would strongly recommend upgrading. The earlier firmwares had numerous bugs, including the infamous DiSEqC blind scan bug. Well worth the upgrade.

It's too bad there can't be someone that could add some features to 1.45 that would be really nice. I tried a couple different versions (including one I found from the dark side) That version had two features that 1:45 should have where you could turn off the timeshift on the PVR and access the playlist from the USB menu.

Great receiver that could really benefit from continued software support. I got it hooked up to component video now. Some C band SD masters look as good as most of the OTA HD I'm getting. Floors me the SD quality out there :)

Hey Brian,

What happened to Visionsat? Are they now rebranded something else or what?

Hey Brian,

What happened to Visionsat? Are they now rebranded something else or what?

Visionsat's parent company was Freetech...... I have a mental image of a Dish convention at a skeet range with the traps launching Visionsats and Coolsats instead of the clay pigeons! :eek:

Kbox is the same hardware, but without the nice hobbyist firmware. Rumor has it (ok, more than rumor) that the first Kboxes were Coolsats with a new faceplate.

Visionsat's parent company was Freetech...... I have a mental image of a Dish convention at a skeet range with the traps launching Visionsats and Coolsats instead of the clay pigeons! :eek:

Kbox is the same hardware, but without the nice hobbyist firmware. Rumor has it (ok, more than rumor) that the first Kboxes were Coolsats with a new faceplate.

That's a shame that Dish Network was allowed to destroy any further developments by killing Freetech. Another reason why I would never get involved with the Devil (Dish) for anything. Charlie has created such a mess with our beloved C band subscribers with YSP and now doing it again with NPS :( It will be a great day when Dish Network falls.

Last edited:
That's a shame that Dish Network was allowed to destroy any further developments by killing Freesat. Another reason why I would never get involved with the Devil (Dish) for anything. Charlie has created such a mess with our beloved C band subscribers with YSP and now doing it again with NPS :( It will be a great day when Dish Network falls.

You have confused company names. Freesat is not connected in any way with this thread.

Any company participating in the importation and development of equipment and firmware expressly distributed for the intent of theft of service seals its own fate.

Sorry about participating in the thread hijacking! :( Now back onto topic....

I have been playing around with using an external USB/Firewire drive to record the HD file while using the firewire cable to simultaneously play (time shift/trick play) of high bitrate programming with a PC. Some drives work well while others cannot support.

You have confused company names. Freesat is not connected in any way with this thread.

Any company participating in the importation and development of equipment and firmware expressly distributed for the intent of theft of service seals its own fate.

Sorry about participating in the thread hijacking! :( Now back onto topic....

I'm sorry I fixed it. Give me a break ;) it is early on Sunday, I didn't have my coffee yet :D

4:2:2

Got 4:2:2 to work. :) What a great receiver.

Attachments

• 422.jpg
    422.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Got 4:2:2 to work. :) What a great receiver.
Excellent! Which CODEC did you end up using? Elecard works, but nags for registration. FFMPEG (free) is reported to work. I just use VLC for 4:2:2 playback, since I remux everything anyway.

I have been playing around with using an external USB/Firewire drive to record the HD file while using the firewire cable to simultaneously play (time shift/trick play) of high bitrate programming with a PC. Some drives work well while others cannot support.

I didn't know two hosts could be connected to one of those multi-interface drives simultaneously. Very interesting! Could you post your results with various drive manufacturers? I've wanted to do something like this with NAS drives.

Excellent! Which CODEC did you end up using? Elecard works, but nags for registration. FFMPEG (free) is reported to work. I just use VLC for 4:2:2 playback, since I remux everything anyway.

Elecard, how do you remux for VLC?

There are several free programs that will remux a .TS stream. I find the best is ProjectX (a Java app)... There's no re-encoding involved with remuxing, the .TS stream is simply broken down into separate audio and video files and then re-joined into a new .TS file. One of the by-products of doing this is that any extraneous data in the stream (such as the Visionsat PVR header info, etc.) is discarded.

More HD fun.

I recorded some test video of Ion to my USB stick. VideoReDo see's it so in theory I will be able to burn HD content to SD DVD. Cool!

I was looking at my OTA HD affiliate for Ion and noticing the mosquito noise on it. Ain't there on the master feed... way cool. Love pure video :)

Including a couple screen captures from today's findings.

Attachments

• ionhd1.jpg
    ionhd1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 79
  • ionhd2.jpg
    ionhd2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 86
  • ionhd3.jpg
    ionhd3.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I was looking at my OTA HD affiliate for Ion and noticing the mosquito noise on it. Ain't there on the master feed... way cool. Love pure video :)
I've decided that satellite network feeds are the way to go next Olympics. I'll have S2 by then. While picture quality is one important issue, I have about pulled out all of my hair over the way that the network coverage locally has been butchered for local commercials, blunders, and "breaking news" ... :(

Nothing beats getting the content from the source. Perhaps that one statement sums up my love for FTA.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)