VisionSat IV300

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
Yes, another new FTA receiver, with hard drive support.
The IV300, seems to improve on the recently introduced IV200.

I was out cruising web sites tonight, and ran across reference to the new model.
Took some doing to find the front door to the VisionSat web site.
Once in, they list the 200 and 300 (on the left), and you can see the stats for both.

Color me cynical, but it seems the 300 just has the enhanced features the users of 200's were clamoring for.
I'll leave it to others to break down the differences. :cool:

Coming soon to a dealer near you. (_?_)

first thing I noticed was the 300 has the internal chip to record (like the CS7000)

Other than that I noticed more channel capacity (although on this side of the globe why would it matter if it has 5000 or 10000 channels?)

These features are what caught my eye, and I expected to see in upgraded firmware for the 200:

300 said:
Event Recording by EPG
Recording and Time Shifting Simultaneously
Recording and Playback Simultaneously
I haven't looked to see if the 300 had more video output ports . . .
(looks the same)
300 said:
CVBS Video & Audio Output via RCA
Component Y/Pb/Pr Output via RCA
S-VHS Video Output
Optical & Coaxial Output for Digital Audio
Software & Channel Data Upgrade via RS-232 & USB
Universal Remote Control
Smart Card Reader (Option)

on this side of the globe why would it matter if it has 5000 or 10000 channels?
5000 will cover your butt even if you have C-band, as well as Ku?
Maybe it delays the onset of the dreaded disease: transponder overload? :rolleyes:

I have not heard good things about the receivers like the 7000 that use the NAND flash technology for buffering. I would much prefer a system that can act like a Tivo and just buffer 30 minutes or so to a HD for instant replay type setup.

HD are easy to replace and cheap compared to getting the NAND flash replaced. I think most of us here realize that the flash storage only have a finite number of times they can be written too (yes, it's alot), but on a receiver that is constantly on, that number might creep up faster than anyone realizes.

Event Recording by EPG
moot point for us since 99% of the channels dont have a EPG

Recording and Time Shifting Simultaneously
Recording and Playback Simultaneously
will it have two tuners? I can't see it doing both with only one tuner....or maybe I'm not thinking right

Well of course, the EPG is just to make sales. :rolleyes:

The other two features, which are really the same, let you watch-behind the show you are recording.
Or, play back a previously recorded show while recording a new one with the tuner.
I was under the impression that the 200 would not let you do these two things.

So, a single tuner unit with those features is very desirable.
It equals what the Dish 501, 508, 510 PVRs will do.

So, if there are no other differences, it sounds like a firmware upgrade makes a 200 into a 300 (for ease of manufacturing).

Well of course, the EPG is just to make sales. :rolleyes:

The other two features, which are really the same, let you watch-behind the show you are recording.
Or, play back a previously recorded show while recording a new one with the tuner.
I was under the impression that the 200 would not let you do these two things.
The 200 you can do timeshift if you are recording. If you start recording at 8:00 for say 2 hours at 8:45 you can start at the beginning while its still recording.

I know you can't play a program while another is recording. You get the "unit is recording" message.

Case in point. In the below picture the bottom number shows how far along its been recording and the top number (the minus number) is how far behind we are from live

attachment.php

Somewhat related (and didn't want to start a new thread)... for all those new FTA PVR owners out there, he's a sweet deal: $99.99 for an external 300GB hard drive, shipped! Use Google Checkout to pay for it and get another $10 off as well. If I had the cash I'd SO be jumping on this :(

If you can deal with a rebate and don't mind an off-brand, there's a 500GB external for even cheaper- $97, or $87 using Google Checkout.
WD Mybook's are $119 for 500gb at local BestBuy stores (or online).

kind of off topic, but I think it''l be ok:

On those MyBooks, maxtors etc. Has anyone tried to put a different drive in there? I have been hesitent to buy a pre-built external drive since my WD 80gig died and when I took it apart and put a new drive in, it would only take a WD 80 gig drive. Nothing else would work or get recognized on the PC.

So I just bought an enclosure for $20 and buy my drives like I do for me PC. I can use any drive I want.

But then again, on FTA, I don't think I could honestly need anything bigger than 80gig. Not saying there isn't stuff I record off G10 and such, but not 500 gig worth. :)

I am running with an 80gb drive.
I record only standard def at 544x480 and less than 3mb/s.
That should be around 50 hours of viewing, and it's a reasonable storage reservoir.
But, I tend to move a good bit of that to my computer
Once or twice a month, I offload -some- of the material to make room.
Currently , backlogged video is tying up between 500gb and 800gb storage, in material I intend to burn.
Yes, I'm a little behind. :cool:

But a lot of people don't want to make DVDs.
They just want to have their TV shows available 24/7 on a hard drive.
So, for those folks, the 300gb or 500gb drives at $100, are hardly more expensive than my 80gb.

Big drives put off the decision, "should I keep this, or flush it to make room?"

I also use USB adapters to talk to external hard drives.
I'd probably make my own drive system for one of these receivers.
Though, for the $100 mentioned above, just buying the whole solution off the shelf is quite attractive.

Well now the 200 does the playback one program while recording another. See the review section for that info :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts