Vita?

...and if I can get just 1% of a billion dollar market I'd be a happy guy, things aren't a given though. The PSP hasn't done poorly for years because it didn't have PS3 graphics, it's done poorly because price, proprietary formats and numerous redesigns lost consumer interest, which made it lose a lot of 3rd party support.

Overpriced, proprietary formats, likely redesigns... check, check, check. Toss in things like cancelling the UMD -> Vita program that they had in Japan (probably same reasoning they got rid of backward compatability... to get people to buy games), the recent downgrade of Sony's credit and debt rating, and dollar/yen making life difficult... they've got a lot riding on this handheld.

If the Vita came out like 3 years ago it would probably stand more of a chance. Nowadays with mobile phone gaming being the juggernaut that it is I really don't see a market for this. I really don't think people are looking for a portable PS3. Sony DEFINITELY did not help themselves by making proprietary hardware AGAIN and jacking up the price on them. Also, not allowing the UMD Passport program (get digital copies of PSP games at potentially major discounts) in the USA will do nothing to entice PSP owners to become early adopters. Something tells me that over time they may try to integrate Android support and allow the Vita to play some of their games, because I do not see this device having a great deal of 3rd party support.

If the Vita came out like 3 years ago it would probably stand more of a chance. Nowadays with mobile phone gaming being the juggernaut that it is I really don't see a market for this. I really don't think people are looking for a portable PS3. Sony DEFINITELY did not help themselves by making proprietary hardware AGAIN and jacking up the price on them. Also, not allowing the UMD Passport program (get digital copies of PSP games at potentially major discounts) in the USA will do nothing to entice PSP owners to become early adopters. Something tells me that over time they may try to integrate Android support and allow the Vita to play some of their games, because I do not see this device having a great deal of 3rd party support.

The only people I've seen really excited about it are those getting it for MLB The Show. The kind of people OK with buying a game twice so they can play their franchise on the go. Others seem content that they can remote play PS3 games and think a lot of games will have straight PS3 to Vita ports... we'll see how that works when the Vita is missing two shoulder buttons, pressure-sensitive face buttons, clickable analog sticks, Dualshock vibration, and with touchscreen/rear touchpad inclusion.

The geek in me wants one. I do not mind the $250 price. The fact that you have to use their own memory cards I do not like. Quad core gaming sounds hella sweet. Cell Phone gaming will never match vitas power

Though it's killing me that some of my favorite PS3 franchises will have Vita releases in the coming year, I really have no use for a portable gaming device. I have a Kindle Fire that I've bought ten games for that I never touch beyond trying them out the second after I download them. I'm hoping at some point they'll port some of Vita's better games back to the PS3 as they've started doing for some PSP and PS2 titles.

I was thinking about buying a psp as a kmart going out of business has them for 20% off the price of 129, not comparing it to vita but not a bad price I think for 20% off?

I wouldn't even bother. If you want a decent portable gaming device your smartphone should prove sufficient. Unless you're DYING to have something with a joystick and "hard" buttons. You could crack it and install emulators and play your favorite old 8/16-bit games, but you can also get them for smartphones.

I wouldn't touch a PSP unless you're going to do not so legit things with it. Would probably say the same about the Vita, which could be the best emulator hardware ever once it is inevitably compromised.

If I had to recommend a portable other than a phone or tablet, it would probably be a 3DS.

I play primarily the GTAs on my PSP. As soon as a GTA comes out for Vita I'm getting it. Don't really care much about the graphics, as if I want super duper eye candy that blows away PS3/ Xbox 360 and probably the next generation of consoles, I'll play on my self-built computer with an i7 2600K @ 4.3GHz, 12GB 1600MHz RAM and dual GTX 560 Ti graphics cards.

Pachter predicting 125k Vitas sold last month. That'd be just over 2x the number of Vitas that have sold in Japan since Sony touted 1.2m just after the US/EU launch.

NPD figures out later this week.

Goes without saying... but that's a very bad number.

Sony laid announced 10k layoffs, executive bonuses slashed yesterday, and have a 'corporate strategy' webcast later this week.

I wonder how well Sony expects Vita to do, along with announcing record losses of $6.4b today (up from an already doubled $2.7b in February) they said they expect to be profitable by $2.2b next year.

Vita at a record low in Japan, less than 9k units sold last week. Sony won't release sales figures from NPD's latest reports, the information suggests around 200k units sold (some have suggested as few as 100k) for the console's 2nd through 6th weeks of life in the US... which is pretty dismal after it's 220k premiere week.

Have to wonder how Sony thinks it will make $12.4b from the video game business in the next 4 years.

While I believe the Vita will continue to flop without significant price reductions/bundling deals (resulting in big lo$$e$), Sony does continue to move a lot of PS3 consoles and software. And I'm sure some of their projections are based on their hopes for the PS4. FWIW, according to VGChartz the Vita has sold about 1.8 million units worldwide as of March 31. Global Weekly Video Game Chart, Week Ending 31st Mar 2012 - VGChartz

While I believe the Vita will continue to flop without significant price reductions/bundling deals (resulting in big lo$$e$), Sony does continue to move a lot of PS3 consoles and software. And I'm sure some of their projections are based on their hopes for the PS4. FWIW, according to VGChartz the Vita has sold about 1.8 million units worldwide as of March 31. Global Weekly Video Game Chart, Week Ending 31st Mar 2012 - VGChartz

Yeah, even their numbers paint a dire picture of 80k/week worldwide. The 3DS demonstrating there are people wiling to invest in the handheld market and outselling it 4:1, the Vita sales showing that Sony has clearly missed that audience.

Early adopters have come and gone, now we get to see if 3rd parties will shy away after their initial projects launch... Something already reported happening in Japan well before the global release.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)