Vita?

Yeah, per other reports it's also no longer being manufactured. It's dead.

Now open up the streaming tech to whatever wants to use it, thanks. I just moved, I'd hook my PS4 back up post-haste if I could stream it to my PC.

If Sony didn't put enough into the Vita to make it a viable platform, the same goes tenfold for the Vita TV. To my knowledge it never got major streaming apps like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and YouTube, even though it was marketed as an all-in-one media device. And there were major gaps in which Vita games were made compatible... not to mention various technical shortcomings in terms of its ability to handle PS4 remote play duties. I'm surprised it's even been around this long; I've been seeing fire sale prices on it for the past year.

Sony has unveiled new colors for the PS Vita..

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/09/sony-confirm-new-colourful-range-of-ps-vitas/

I think I speak for the world when I say...

Br00TCn.gif

I think Sony is probably going to shift to just making apps for existing mobile devices as opposed to dealing with their own hardware. Easier and cheaper to develop apps that way, not to mention it's easier to get developers on board with the broad install base.

Probably kills any chance/hope of a new handheld.

I think the chances of that were already slim to none.

I think Sony is probably going to shift to just making apps for existing mobile devices as opposed to dealing with their own hardware. Easier and cheaper to develop apps that way, not to mention it's easier to get developers on board with the broad install base.

Or just ignore the mobile/handheld market and stick to what they have actually had success with. The PSP did pretty well but that was a different time and a lot of its success came when it became an emulation machine and Sony didn't make any money off that. The PS4 is selling very well. I'm not sure Sony is in the same situation as Nintendo where it makes sense to start trying to get their developers to work on phone games.

The Vita is done. Sony has stopped making games for it. The only thing keeping it alive at all is indie game ports and even those are starting to dry up. It seems crazy to me that they are still trying to manufacture new units in new colors instead of just trying to sell the existing stock and letting it die. I still see the Borderlands 2 Vita bundles in stock at my local Target/Walmart and those came out over 2 years ago.

Or just ignore the mobile/handheld market and stick to what they have actually had success with. The PSP did pretty well but that was a different time and a lot of its success came when it became an emulation machine and Sony didn't make any money off that. The PS4 is selling very well. I'm not sure Sony is in the same situation as Nintendo where it makes sense to start trying to get their developers to work on phone games.
Not likely, given this announcement:

http://www.gameplanet.com.au/news/g57ce05edcfa9d/Pokemon-Go-spurs-on-Sonys-aggressive-mobile-push/

Can't see the announcement since I don't subscribe.

Jack Tretton, former CEO of SCEA, says that the Vita was "A Great Machine" but "Too Late," meaning that the market had shifted away from a dedicated portable device.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/09...o-late-says-former-sony-exec-a-ign-unfiltered

Well, I suppose there's SOME truth to that, but at the same time it's a little hard to cling to that theory when you consider how well the 3DS has sold during the same period. Of course one could point to the fact that the 3Ds already had a large library from the other DS it preceded, OR the NUMEROUS stumbles Sony made by not marketing properly (to where they got sued and had to pay people for lying about Remote Play), having expensive proprietary memory cards, lack of third AND first party support, and not having PSP & PS1 games available immediately for use. No, it was the "Market's" fault. Actually yeah: The "Market" didn't feel like putting up with Sony's Crap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts