Vita?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Looks like there's not going to be a successor to the Vita. Sony claims that the "climate isn't healthy" for a successor.

Right... yet Nintendo found a way to sell over 53 million 3DS units...

I think Kotaku put it best when it said that it wasn't the "climate" that killed the Vita, but rather Sony itself.

And this probably didn't help things either..

There is no doubt that Nintendo owns the handheld console market. I'm guessing the New 3DS won't put up anywhere near the same numbers as the original though. People have been talking about smartphones and tablets taking market share from dedicated consoles for years now. I would argue that theory hasn't panned out very well considering how well both the PS4 and Xbox One are selling. The segment it is most likely to be true for is handheld gaming though.

The 3DS put up huge numbers but Nintendo still won't say how the New 3DS is selling. They list a combined total for the 3DS and New 3DS on their quarterly reports. My guess is that with how poorly the Wii U is selling they would be taking every opportunity to tell everyone how great their new handheld was selling if it really was moving great numbers. The fact that they are keeping quiet tells me it's not going very well.

I think the days of handheld consoles are numbered when everyone is carrying around a smartphone and tablet everywhere they go. I personally hate trying to play most games on a touchscreen so I don't bother. I would much rather have a dedicated system but most people don't seem to care.

As for Sony, I think they are making the right move by not continuing the Vita line. I own a original OLED Vita and the fancy Link Between Worlds 3DS XL bundle.

5339c24de50d19aeeb3eec6b5ffaffdb.jpg

There is no doubt in my mind that the Vita is the better hardware. It feels like a solid piece of technology instead of a kids toy. The UI is miles ahead and the graphics it puts out are much more impressive. That said, it's clear that the Vita was a failed experiment. It doesn't sell and most of the best games on the platform are indies I can get on PS3, PS4, or PC.

Don't get me wrong, there are some cool Vita experiences that are only on Vita and it is a great to be able to fire up Binding of Isaac or Rogue Legacy away from home. I personally get more enjoyment out of the indies on Vita than Nintendo games on my 3DS. I'm obviously the outlier though. The 3DS has way more big name exclusive games and it sells way more units.

I think the PS4 was designed shortsightedly and couldn't take advantage of a Vita 2 anyways... As demonstrated by the poor performance of pstv streaming at a higher resolution. Maybe next gen.

Remote play could have been really special this gen and Sony was first out of the gate.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I think the PS4 was designed shortsightedly and couldn't take advantage of a Vita 2 anyways... As demonstrated by the poor performance of pstv streaming at a higher resolution. Maybe next gen.

Remote play could have been really special this gen and Sony was first out of the gate.

I totally agree that they missed a huge opportunity with remote play to the PS TV. You can get a PS TV on Amazon for less than $40 now and they should have been advertised for remote play purposes. It makes sense for a family to buy one PS4 for the main TV and hook up PS TVs in other rooms. They would have the added benefit of playing games like Persona 4 Golden but their main puprose would be remote play so you can play your PS4 games on any TV in your house.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like remote play looks as good blown up on a 60" 1080p TV as it does on the Vita's screen.

I did use remote play a ton when I first got my PS4. The lag wasn't bad and it looked fine on my Vita's screen.

The only thing that kept it from being useful for all games for me was the fact that the Vita only had one set of bumpers on top so the PS4 controller couldn't be fully mapped to real buttons. Using the back touch screen for L1 and R1 was too unreliable to me. My hands are too big and I had trouble holding the Vita in a way where my fingers would hit the rear touch in the right spot.

This wasn't a big deal for some games but it made others unplayable for me.

Yup, and Sony missed an opportunity to fix that with a hardware revision last year. It needs button parity with a dual shock.

The resolution to pstv is what I put on the ps4, I think it has hardware dedicated to that stuff, and was designed specifically for the Vita rather than the potential of more powerful devices.

I had a lot of trouble with remote play of PS4 games. Games like Far Cry 4, beyond the controller issues, just didn't play well for me on such a small screen. Enemies in the distance that I would have no trouble targeting on a 50 inch TV screen were almost invisible on a 5 inch screen. It only really worked for the kinds of indie games that get ported to Vita anyway.

I had a lot of trouble with remote play of PS4 games. Games like Far Cry 4, beyond the controller issues, just didn't play well for me on such a small screen. Enemies in the distance that I would have no trouble targeting on a 50 inch TV screen were almost invisible on a 5 inch screen. It only really worked for the kinds of indie games that get ported to Vita anyway.

It worked well enough for some non-indie games for me. I played a ton of hours of Diablo 3 using remote play from PS4 to Vita. Back when I was playing Destiny on PS4 I used it for that quite a bit too. I wouldn't try to take on difficult things like Strikes or Raids that way but it was fine for running patrols and farming upgrade materials.

One thing Destiny did that was smart was map sprint to up on the d-pad since you obviously couldn't push the stick down on the Vita. All you had to do was tap it and your character would continue to sprint until you stopped pushing forward on the analogue stick so you didn't have to hold it down to keep running. They also mapped the grenade to the bottom right corner of the front touch screen. This was way easier for me to hit than one of the 4 quadrants on the rear touch pad that most games make you use.

Still, if I had the option I'd obviously rather play on my PS4 controller and 50" TV with surround sound.

I haven't touched my Vita in months. It typically gets more use during the summer when I travel more but there haven't been a lot of games added lately that I have any interest in. It gets a lot of indie games but I end up with most of them cheaper on Steam. I'm not sure I will even charge it back up this summer.

Last time we bothered to charge the Vita it was so my wife could try Diablo 3 with remote play.

Then we remembered that to go back and forth between profiles you have to format the device.

What a joke.

I will say that Diablo 3 works pretty well with remote play. I have put a lot of hours into it that way myself. It is ridiculous that you can't login to another account without formatting the Vita though.

While the Vita is on life support here in America, in Japan it's still flourishing. Guess Sony treats Japanese customers better than Americans. The PSP also had a much better run there back in the day.

http://kotaku.com/japan-where-the-ps-vita-wont-die-1755647191
Vita has a crap load of jrpg's and visual novels, the latter of which are hughly popular with japanese girls.

Unfortuantely visual novel's aren't brought over here, and with the exception of "Tales of" and FF, jrpg's aren't hugely popular here.

And when it's all said and done, 8 years of Vita sales won't come even close to the sales of 4 years of the PSP. Of course Sony hasn't released any sales figures since 2014, but I don't see them selling at least 40 million more Vitas worldwide in the next 4 years.

And while Sony says there's no market for a successor (or even the current one, apparently), Nintendo has sold more than 50m 3DS units since 2011.

What a missed opportunity sunk by things like a touch backplate and overpriced memory cards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)