VOD Fee

tdogg72

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 22, 2004
Why does Dish make us pay a VOD (Video on Demand) fee of ~$5/mo, even if you dont want that service? If it is mandatory than why dont they include it in the standard package prices?? Because they want there package prices to look lower?

I see you have a 522. It's not a "VOD" fee, it's a "DVR" fee. The 522 is a DVR, so they can get away with charging the $5/month. If you only had that 322, they wouldn't charge that five bucks.

The VOD "service" is the basic functions of the DVR. It's not "video on demand" like cable companies, if that's what you're thinking. As Bizzach says, it should simply be called a DVR fee.

Bizzach said:
I see you have a 522. It's not a "VOD" fee, it's a "DVR" fee. The 522 is a DVR, so they can get away with charging the $5/month. If you only had that 322, they wouldn't charge that five bucks.

So why don't they just call it that? The bill calls it a VOD fee.

I am getting charged an extra $10/month in addition to the satellite service. Is that right? I have a 522 and a 322. I just got service set up a few days ago.

I believe that's right. And technically, it IS Video On Demand. It just happens to be stored locally on the 522 unit. It's VOD because you can see it when you want it. :p

tdogg72 said:
I am getting charged an extra $10/month
Are you saying they didn't tell you about this fee ?? Dish's website does NOT hide it, in case you researched there.

If you don't want to pay it, have them swap the 522 for a 322.

With a 522 and a 322, you should be charged these fees in addition to the programming fees:

$0.00 First Receiver Fee: 322 Tuner 1
$4.99 Additional Receiver Fee: 322 Tuner 2*
$4.99 Additional Receiver Fee: 522 Tuner 1
$4.99 Additional Receiver Fee: 522 Tuner 2*
$4.98 DVR fee

*Waived if receiver is continuously connected to a phone line

Thanks chaddux. I do have them continuously connected, and so that would make this additional ~$10/month sound correct.

chaddux said:
With a 522 and a 322, you should be charged these fees in addition to the programming fees:

$0.00 First Receiver Fee: 322 Tuner 1
$4.99 Additional Receiver Fee: 322 Tuner 2*
$4.99 Additional Receiver Fee: 522 Tuner 1
$4.99 Additional Receiver Fee: 522 Tuner 2*
$4.98 DVR fee

*Waived if receiver is continuously connected to a phone line

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts