VOD question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hikerdave

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Just started as a DirectTV customer with a HR34-700 (plus a H25-500 & H23-600) and found the many VOD channels, but I cannot actually watch them on demand. It seems that I have to record them first before I can watch them, is this correct or am I missing something. I did start recording one and then when into the recorded list and tried to watch it but it would stop and start and was basically unwatchable. Even after recording the whole show, at least 3 times during the 30 min show, it would freeze and then start up again several seconds past where it had stopped skipping parts of the show. I would not think this is normal, but why would it do this if the full show was recorded?

Thank you for your help.

How fast is your internet connection?

I have 15 megabits after powerboasting is done with, and normally I have picked a show or two then went into my list and hit watch on a show with no issues.

I have Time Warner Road Runner Turbo which says "up to 15 Mbps".

Unfortunately its a two step process. 1) download to DVR 2) play from DVR. They haven't yet figured out how to "instant stream" like Netflix, Amazon, HBOGo, etc..

On my xbox I can pull up HBOGo and pick something like Game of Thrones for example. It just starts playing instantly. No downloading, no buffering. It just works at the click of a button (just like Cable VOD). The quality is excellent too. I have 12mbps coming in and that should be fine to instant stream anything in HD. HD can come in around 7-8mbps, so that still leaves some headroom in my connection. With DirecTV I have to find something and "record" it. Exit and go into the playlist and keep checking on it. Sometimes it says Pending Download. Sometimes its ready to start playing. You never know. Its not a consistent easy user experience like Netflix, Cable VOD or HBOGo. Its in and out of menus. They don't even offer a "Play now" or "Stream" option in the details of a VOD program. In fact if I miss something on HBO, I use HBOGo on my xbox rather than "download" it and waste hard drive space on my DirecTV DVR.

Another problem is you can't get VOD on a non-dvr. I wish they would change this. If the system detects you have a fast enough connection, it should stream. There's BluRay players out there that don't even have a hard drive AT ALL - but they can stream Netflix, Amazon, Pandora, etc...

Don't get me wrong, I'm ok with a "Record" option in a VOD title. Great for queing things up to watch later. However I think DirecTV should also have a Play Now option to instant stream. This would be the only option on a non DVR, and it would only show up if it detected you had a good enough connection to do so.

my experience is to select it and wait till about 20%-25% and I can start and play without issues. I have never understood anyone advertising or claiming DirecTV VoD was instant. I do wish it was a bit faster BUT I will say the video quality to me is much better than most instant streams.

Status
Please reply by conversation.