VOD service-Is it really this slow?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lern4483

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 6, 2004
Pompano beach, Fl
After much trouble, I have the vod service running.
Im using the internet bridge. Its interfacing with my router.

No easy set up like I thought. I had to get a techy to configur it.

The question is: When downloading its extremely slow.
I have a cable modem with a router attached.

Everthing checks out fine- But I cant use this if its this painfully slow.

Any suggestions?

What is your ISP's D/L rate?

What is your router & bridge make & model.

Mine was a breeze to setup and D/L just fine.

WEP enabled D-link DI-624 with DWL-G820 and 8mbps ISP

Im not the most computer literate. Had to have linksys walk me through this.

Bridge: linksys-wet54
wep enabled- running through my router which is connected to my cable modem.

You may also be experiencing in-home interference as well as other performance issues..

Wireless Bridge: Linksys WET54

OUCH!

Performance of Linksys WET54G Wireless-G Ethernet bridge
In CNET Labs' tests, the Linksys WET54G was a long-distance runner rather than a sprinter. Although its bandwidth is rated at 54Mbps, the device's peak throughput of 14.8Mbps is less than what we have seen in 802.11g-based access points and routers. In mixed-mode testing, throughput dropped to 7.6Mbps, again slightly off the pace set by the best 802.11g devices. With a range of 200 feet, the Linksys bridge could cover about 100,000 square feet horizontally, and we were also able to connect to a floor above and below. Even at 100 feet, the point at which many access points we've tested lose contact, the WET54G was able to maintain a throughput rate of about 10Mbps, twice as fast as a good 802.11b connection at a range of 5 feet.

What is your ISP speed?

What is the make and model of your router?

Not sure how to look up ISP speed?

Router is also a linksyswrt-54G
The router is literaly 20' from the hr20-Its very close.

I would have run a long ethernet cord but my wife would have a fit.
Cant hide it.

I bought this brige off Amazon. Just got it. Should I dump it? Direc tells me they have these power adaptors that plug into wall that work the same way?

Im confussed.

What do you think?

What service level do you pay to have from your ISP (internet service provider)?

The bridge doesn't seem to rate too well, replacing it might be a good option, but trying to verify and possibly eliminate any other radio interfence could be the realkey; after determining your net speed which is paramount.

Very cool link.

ISP-Advanced cable

Here's what the test said.

1/17/2008 2:39 AM 5520 kb/s 366 kb/s 24 ms Fort Lauderdale, FL < 50

Have same problem with wireless Links. Changed to direct connection on DSL
my speed went from 54Mbps:) to 100Mbps without any change on Mbps.

Have same problem with wireless Links. Changed to direct connection on DSL
my speed went from 54Mbps:) to 100Mbps without any change on Mbps.

That's just showing what the speed is on your internal network, not your internet connection speed, which is the choak point. DSL speeds usually top out at 6Mbps to 7Mbps, so if your wireless connection was really getting 54Mbps (which wasn't the actual throughput just the max speed) it's still faster then your DSL connection.

Also, the bridge is slowing down my computer. Why the heck is that hapening? I get a prompt saying IP address conflict.

The guys at Linksys told me to reboot the computer it would go away-No such luck!
Like to toss this bridge out the window!

Well based on your resilt: 5520 kb/s 366 kb/s

It seems you have 6mbps Down and 384kbps Up; which is good enough.

Next I would eithe look to eliminat in possible radio interference.

And You really need to clear up that IP conflict; what other devises do you have on your network? You need to be running Static DHCP IP, I bet everything you have is dynamic?

Reduce interference on your wireless network

Optimize your router for a stable wireless connection

Setup Your Router & wireless Network

Linksysinfo

Thanks Charper one! I will follow your suggestions. Also, ill see if I can clear up that conflict.
My daughter uses a wiresless-G adaptor from an adjoinging room.

I wonder if that could be causing a problem? I will disconect it-see if that helps.

I thing the real question is will VOD ever be fast enough?

The DVR devise supports whatever YOUR isp and network speed can provide it; I am sure it is a 10/100 ethernet so if you could give it 50mbps it would do it; so 3mbps and up is fast enough; it is user peculiarities in their home network setups that is causing the bottleneck. This includes improperly or inefficiently setup wireless as well as "hard" connections (aka direct)

Last edited:
Thanks Charper one! I will follow your suggestions. Also, ill see if I can clear up that conflict.
My daughter uses a wiresless-G adaptor from an adjoinging room.

I wonder if that could be causing a problem? I will disconect it-see if that helps.

They are likely "fighting" over the same IP address. You really need to go static assigned. I have a few 11g devises, but spent a few bucks and time installing a network hub and fishing my own CAT6e all over the house. It really wasn't that expensive or hard.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)