VOD service-Is it really this slow?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My internet connection has 8Mb download speed. I can select a show to watch in VOD and then press the LIST button and start watching within a few seconds. I'm using a wired connection from the DVR to my internet connection.

My internet connection has 8Mb download speed. I can select a show to watch in VOD and then press the LIST button and start watching within a few seconds. I'm using a wired connection from the DVR to my internet connection.

CRendall has a point. The majority of folks having a hard time with VOD seem to be using wireless bridges. The purpose of these wireless devices is convenience. If the downloads are not working, it is not convenient. It is not DIRECTV's fault that you may have interference or misconfiguration hampering your use of a wireless bridge.

If you are worried that the downloads are slow or not consistent, switch to a wired solution. It will work without any intervention on a consistent basis.

I am using wireless on my HR20 without issue as well; it is user specific setup and/or ISP D/L speeds that are at issue; not the devises.

Okay guys, this stuff is so far over my head it's not even funny. I do run my PS3 and my Wii wireless through my network using the Linksys WRT54 G router and everything works fine.

I can though hard wire the modem or router to my DVR because the cable will run pretty much behind some things. So, the question is, is a long, maybe20 feet ethernet cable to hook up the DVR to the DSL router all I will need? Or would this be the idiot way of doing it?
I would never have gotten as far as the OP, don't get half the posts about bridges etc.

I am using wireless on my HR20 without issue as well; it is user specific setup and/or ISP D/L speeds that are at issue; not the devises.

But my point is that it is not the best time to try out wireless. If you already have wireless working in your home, it's not a bad idea. But trying to diagnose two completely new setups at the same time rarely ends well. Seeing someone unfamiliar with networking learning how to flash a wireless router just to setup their HR20 is a bit much.

If you have it working and are satisfied, it is wonderful. If you are getting very slow downloads, it is different. The very first piece to cut out of the equation is the wireless link. Wire it and see if you notice the same speed: that will help determine if wireless is the problem instead of the solution.

Slightly O.T., but somewhat related

Until today I was running a wireless connection to my HR21. It was about 50-60 feet and through several walls. Placement of the wireless converter was fairly*critical, but it worked for DOD plus music and pictures with media share. My internet connection is Wi-Max at ~1.6 Mb/s. When I tried video media share, it would play for a few seconds then stop for a few seconds and play again for a few. I figure it wasn't keeping the buffer full. I ran some tests with everything a few feet from the router and speed wasn't a problem. I figure that a lot of data packets were getting dropped due to RF losses. I got a set of Directv's powerline ethernet adapters and installed them this afternoon. The problem with video is now completely gone (music and DOD are still working also). These use HomePlug technology and I don't notice any interference problems with my ham radio equipment.

I just set up my wireless connection using an AirPort Extreme base station and an AirPort Express connected to HR20 with Ethernet. Channel 1000 is activated, but all options give the same box:" no matching programs at this time." The Simpsons Movie is available, but nothing else. Is this true for everyone?

Well just to update I bought the NETGEAR - Powerline HD Ethernet Adapter (runs through electrical wall jacks) works great! I was able to hook my 360 & PS3 to it also as it has 4 jacks. Was able to get all downloads very quick.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)