Voicewing with Fios

shappyss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
LI, NY / Boston MA
When the fios installers switch your standard copper line to fiber, how is this different than just ordering Voicewing, or another VOIP with fios. To me it seems like the same thing, but Voicewing is cheaper and has more features.

As I understand it, the real difference is that you're running on fiber between your house and the CO. It's not VOIP. You still have 911 service, you still pay the same tariffs. It's just a change in provider infrastructure.

sbhnet is correct. The only difference between FiOS and copper based PSTN is the medium between you and the central office. It's a little more complicated but for the sake of simplicity, just go with it.

If you are looking for a VoIP provider, I'd recommend not going with VoiceWing. It's overpriced compaired to some of the other providers. You do pay a potential price though for cheaper phone service. Because it's internet based, you are at the whim of the internet. If your net connection is congested, slow, or unavailable, you are SOL.

Here is a list of the major VoIP providers along with some reviews. I personally use ViaTalk and have been very happy with them.

Verizon FiOS service can be provided without a phone number - at least they have allowed me to do so.

The only draw back of this is that you are required to put a Credit Card on file with them to automatically charge each month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)