Volume and Sound Fluctuations

deck797

Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
Just got the 622, and notice a big decrease in volume and sound quality when I switch from SD to HD, especially when they're the same channel (ex. TNT vs. TNT HD). Anyone know if this is a receiver issue, connection issue, or TV issue?

Anyone know if this is a receiver issue, connection issue, or TV issue?
None of the above. Welcome to the world of audio level differences between SD and HD. Do a search on dynamic range and you should find lots of threads where this question has already been addressed.

Just got the 622, and notice a big decrease in volume and sound quality when I switch from SD to HD, especially when they're the same channel (ex. TNT vs. TNT HD). Anyone know if this is a receiver issue, connection issue, or TV issue?

Actually, I just got a refurb 622 to replace one on which the HD died.

I haven't noticed whether it's purely an HD/SD issue, but I can say that channel volume varies significantly across channels; at first I thought local channels were louder, now it seems it's more complicated. Sometimes recorded programs will have a significant volume difference from their live counterparts.

Really inconvenient (actually a PITA) but I'm not going to roll the dice and get another replacement.

Actually, I just got a refurb 622 to replace one on which the HD died.

I haven't noticed whether it's purely an HD/SD issue, but I can say that channel volume varies significantly across channels; at first I thought local channels were louder, now it seems it's more complicated. Sometimes recorded programs will have a significant volume difference from their live counterparts.

Really inconvenient (actually a PITA) but I'm not going to roll the dice and get another replacement.

As said above, it is not a receiver issue. Even sound levels on SD channels vary from the source.

It's the difference between the dynamic range of DD 5.1 and stereo audio.

DD 5.1 channels must reduce the normal volume in order to not blow your doors off during high volume sequences.

My original 622 never exhibited that behavior. Unless Dish or the providers waited to change something precisely when I swapped receivers there's something else going on (as well, perhaps).

My original 622 never exhibited that behavior.
It did. For some reason you are just more aware of it now.
But if it really did not, then there was something wrong IT. Or, did you connect the two the same? If you were using normal stereo outs, you would not have been getting 5.1 as you would with optical out.

Last edited:
It did. For some reason you are just more aware of it now.
But if it really did not, then there was something wrong IT. Or, did you connect the two the same? If you were using normal stereo outs, you would not have been getting 5.1 as you would with optical out.

I realize you're trying to be helpful and I will give you any benefit of the doubt.

The only thing I changed as far as connections go is I now use HDMI (since my old port never worked). I do not have a separate receiver so all video and audio goes through that connection. Perhaps that's it. Otherwise, my pattern of usage is the same and it still does appear that locals have somewhat lower volume.

If the HDMI is not the issue then the only explanation consistent with your view is that there was something wrong with my old 622. :)

In any case I do appreciate the chance to learn something.

The only thing I changed as far as connections go is I now use HDMI (since my old port never worked). I do not have a separate receiver so all video and audio goes through that connection. Perhaps that's it.

Digital now vs analog then. That's it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts