Volume issue VIP722

StrykerCity

Original poster
Nov 19, 2009
Western NY
hey all. wondering if i could get some advice.

I have:

TV-Sony KDL-42V4100
D. Net. Rec.-VIP722
Stereo-Sony STR-DG520

connections:
dish receiver to tv=hdmi.....tv to stereo fiber optic.
Problem:

When watching HD broadcasts (usually ABC) the volume drops DRAMATICALLY when it goes to commercial. Basically the center channel cuts out and all sound comes from fronts, sub, and surrounds. Not a huge problem, just kinda annoying and mind boggling. Could be worse i suppose...it could get louder.

I am pretty savvy when it comes to hook-up and or setup and have tried all possible combinations of settings on all 3 components, to no avail.

In another room I have a similar set-up:
TV: Sony KDL-32L5000
D.N. VIP622 DVR
Stereo: Yamaha HTR-6230
This set-up doesn't have the same problem which leads me to assume it's something with the Sony stereo.

Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated as I am at wit's end:what

Thanks guys and dolls

Sorry about that.

Perhaps the receiver is falling back to a "clamping" mode when you go to Dolby 2-channel? I think that's pretty cool...

Have you looked for this problem at AVSForum.com? Those guys are the most savvy when it comes to receiver setup.

if it was going to 2 channel wouldn't the reviever notify me of this. when i go from a hd to non-hd channel it displays pro logic 2 and vice versa.

i will check the avs forum as well.

It sounds like it is matrixing the stereo signal into a 4.1 PL signal. Try letting it go through without messing with the sound signal and it should be in stereo and blow your ears off.

Does it do it for HD commercials, SD commercials, or both? Our local CBS affiliate will drop to a barely audible mono for SD commercials during NFL games on Sunday. If it's just one channel, it's probably a problem at the source.

You should try turning off D.RANGE (Dynamic Range Compression) on the Sony receiver. It is under the LEVEL menu.

Other possibilities are that you've chosen the wrong surround mode or your ViP receiver is not handing the audio correctly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)