VOLUME ON INSERTED COMMECIALS 4DTV-DSR 410 W-5

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
Is it just my TV, or...are the "inserted commercials" (mainly the annoying medical ads, hip recall ads, etc) MUCH louder than program content? I've noticed them actually "ramping up" from the moment the commercial starts. I'm currently on a DSR-410, but noticed it on the 4D during those subs, too.

I know there's legislation on this for TV via OTA. I know there's been discussion of this elsewhere on the site. I realize the theory of compression vs. volume. But, I DO find this incredibly annoying, especially after piping ONE receiver into a distribution system to two others. I get 3 places in my home the volume increase when all sets are running.

Last I knew, REbroadcasters of material were not allowed to adjust volume of content (like dish network, Direct, etc...) of commercial matter during uplinking. Is the same rule in place for us, or...does anyone know at what point these commercials are inserted? Lately their timing has been AWFUL anyway. You see one second of a spot they "cover up" with the start of another, and the volume varies widely.

From,
"tired of adjusting volume" in West Michigan
(and no, I do not endorse more government intervention and legislation. I am not a fan of that anyway..too much of it happens already.)

Now back to our regularly scheduled threads......

Last edited:
HITS must be inserting ads most likely. I would complain to HITS but don't say you're a c-band user, say you're a cable user you already asked your cable co about it and they said the content is coming from HITS.

If it's any consolation to you I'm seeing the same crap on FTA stuff that I watch regularly so it's not just on W5/X4 4DTV stuff.

The volume input into the encodersnis reduced well below peak for normal programs. Then the inserted commercial volume is Max just under the saturation point making it loud. It is on purpose

The volume input into the encodersnis reduced well below peak for normal programs. Then the inserted commercial volume is Max just under the saturation point making it loud. It is on purpose

Yeah well, that little scheme is counterproductive here at my house cuz I just hit the mute button on the remote and don't hear much more than 5 seconds of any of it. ;-) How's that working out for them? ;-)

I use an automatic volume level control to deal with this, hooked up to the audio output on the DSR.

I use the Terk VR-1 - it works very well.

Thank you for all the responses! For awhile, I was concerned that the settings in the digital TV were not working correctly! Agreed on the "no C-band" complaints. I'm absolutely tickled to have subs on C-band, and working hard to keep it that way, any way I can! Will look up the gadget by Terk. Thanks so much, everyone.

Happy New year!

I use the AC-3 output of my devices (coax or fiber optic cable). Is there a box made for this?

Given the new knowledge of the box being available to level the audio for analog stereo sound, there are adapters that will convert fiber optic/coax to RCA-style connector cable which could feed an analog box like the audio leveler. YOu wouldn't have "digital" stereo, but you'd have regulated good quality stereo. I used one on my Vizio which gave standard line out as an option. Easy to find on Amazon dot com or similar.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)