Von Weise motor on a Birdview

Status
Please reply by conversation.

N0EXE

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Wisconsin
I had the Von Weise motor from my Birdview dish checked out at the local electric motor service shop. The tech said the commutator is worn too thin to turn on the lathe and he can't find brushes for it.

Help!

Where do I get parts or a replacement motor?

Look up Fasco Motors St. Clair MO on Google.

They have always been helpful to me. Just call them up and get a live voice, and they will direct you where you need to be. Be sure to have the model # and specs all lined up to give them.

They might even have a new motor for it, or you can send it in for rebuild. :)

This may be a shot in the dark, but may work N0EXE, if you have any V-76 Von Weise actuators( 24 inch) that have a good motor that you can take the armature from, or what ever motor parts you need. because Von Weise is kind of like Chevy parts they don't change much tru out their years of production. I have a Cosmo 12-foot with a H to H mount that has a Von Weise motor an gear drive bolted to it, all most to the T as of what Stogie has on his ParaClispe, an that is what I did here, took the motor parts from a good working actuator, case w/magnets an the plate that held the brushes, could not use the armature from the V-76, reason why is on this motor ( for the Cosmo) it has spline on both ends of the armature, 1-spline to run gear reduction, 2nd spline to work the plastic gears for the limit swithes an magnet wheel. now on the birdview von weise it will only have 1 splined end on it, so you may be good to go.

If you find some 1 that has Von Weise Parts, Post it please or give me a PM, because I called all over the country an even out of the country an could not find a armature, or a replacement motor for the Cosmo, don't think that they made them that long for Cosmo. but Birdview had a long production run so you may find a replacement motor some where.
Good luck hope this helps.

I found this the other day on Ebay.

I forgot about it until just now.

1Capain might have a pretty good idea, and for $14.00, it might just work.

They listing says they have a large lot of them. It might be worth a shot. :)

Hi Linuxman, the gear box looks close to the birdview 1, did you check the gear reduction 1255 to 1, but the motor is AC 120 volt.

I may buy 1 any way just for the gear box.

Hi Linuxman, the gear box looks close to the birdview 1, did you check the gear reduction 1255 to 1, but the motor is AC 120 volt.

I may buy 1 any way just for the gear box.

Nah, I didn't look it over that closely, and definitely did not make the 120V connection.

If you just search on Von Weise, there are several items that turn up. Some are quite expensive though. :eek:

Just for some closure, I am just going to use the original, it still works. Got my eyes out for a replacement.

The nice thing about brushes is they are soft, you should be able to find bigger brushes and sand them down to size in no time at all, make sure to match the curve on the comm end of the brush before sanding it down. Could get you a couple of extra years.

Where do I get parts or a replacement motor?

You might try Skyvision. I don't seem them listed on the website anymore, but it couldn't hurt to call. They used to sell the newer 70:1 (slower) motors which are used with the 24-pole magnet.

The original motors were 37:1.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)