Von Weise motors

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Found a motor that came with a freebie dish, got it about 4 yrs ago and never really looked at the motor. Outer tube is rusty and the motor end had a big plastic cover over most of it, but it looked horrendous when I took the dish down and brought it home. So I never thought much about it again-the dish was a perfect 10, but it's more like 8' I think, not ten, it's been fixed on 105 for the HITS programming so I didnt need a motor.
Today I started tinkering with this thing, and found the label under the dirt and rust-its a von weise, first I've ever had. But it doesn't work, the insides were rusty, the terminal strip where all the wires attach looks pretty nasty. And I can't tell whether its a pot-type feedback or what, been a long time since I've worked on motors lol. It does have a little round wheel, two actually, that have magnets in them, beyond that I will have to get my satellite bible out and try to find what is what. Has anybody ever worked on re-doing one of these, are parts available anywhere? I took the tube loose and looked in the end, looks shiny and well lubricated. This brand always had a great reputation, if it can be revived it would be nice to have a backup actuator. Info appreciated!

Hey T, Von Weise is still in business so there may be a source for parts. And I thought I remembered a thread here on the forums somewhere where someone did an in-depth tutorial with lots of pics of the rebuild of one.

I did a search and couldn't find it, maybe someone else can link you to it.

Found a motor that came with a freebie dish, got it about 4 yrs ago and never really looked at the motor. Outer tube is rusty and the motor end had a big plastic cover over most of it, but it looked horrendous when I took the dish down and brought it home. So I never thought much about it again-the dish was a perfect 10, but it's more like 8' I think, not ten, it's been fixed on 105 for the HITS programming so I didnt need a motor.
Today I started tinkering with this thing, and found the label under the dirt and rust-its a von weise, first I've ever had. But it doesn't work, the insides were rusty, the terminal strip where all the wires attach looks pretty nasty. And I can't tell whether its a pot-type feedback or what, been a long time since I've worked on motors lol. It does have a little round wheel, two actually, that have magnets in them, beyond that I will have to get my satellite bible out and try to find what is what. Has anybody ever worked on re-doing one of these, are parts available anywhere? I took the tube loose and looked in the end, looks shiny and well lubricated. This brand always had a great reputation, if it can be revived it would be nice to have a backup actuator. Info appreciated!
Here is a post about a Von Weise that I took apart and refurbished. The motor was in pretty good shape but inside the tube was really bad. Luckily I didn't need to replace any parts on it. :)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3904889/

Wow I had a 2 day time warp on this project, thanks for all the info. FTA4PA had a great pictorial of his refurb-a-motor job too. Mine doesn't look quite like his did on the inside, so I'll try to get some pictures up soon. Actually I think he re-manufactured that von. His thread was timely-today I was doing exactly the same, trying to remove several years worth of that old lichen-crap off my 10 SAMI. Bought a new brush and extension pole, wet it down, scrubbed awhile and rinsed with high pressure water hose. Hilarious-right in the middle of that job, it started raining ( I was already drenched lol). Thanks for the replies...

Reactions: FTA4PA
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)