Von Weise problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cruzin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
michigan
On my C band the Von Weise has stopped moving west. I get a E2 error on my gbox. It will move east but just as soon as I move it east it seems it sets a new west limit. I took the cover on the mover and neither of the micro switches are pressed in on a high limit so what could be the problem.
I did not have any problems with it for 2 days now this.
I did hook up a disecq 1x4 switch but that is on the coax. would that cause problems? I have cleared the limits in both the gbox and the receiver. Any help appreciated.
UPDATE, I pulled the lawn mover down there and uphooked the motor power wires, the motor moves fine both east and west. Moved it all the way west and made sure the micro switch shuts down movement at the west most location. hooked back up the wires and went in to the house and the same thing but now it will not move either way with the gbox.
I also tried the uniden analog receiver and it said dish limit. So I do not think it is a controller issue I think somthing in the micro switch or sensor. Does anyone know if the reed sensor would do this if bad? I pulled the sensor out and it does not look like one I have seen before. It is a round rod about 1 1/4 inch long. The ones I have seen on the web are rectangular in shape. Is Von Weise still in business? If so I would call them if I can locate there number or web page. Again thanks for any help.

Last edited:
E2 = no pulses

When you move a BUD, with a Gbox , Vbox, or an Analog receiver (4DTV, too), it expects to get pulses from the reed switch.
If the reed is bad, the magnet has moved, or the wires are broken, you get no pulses.
All of the above controllers will shut down immediately if they don't detect pulses, so as to not run your dish into a wall, tree, or rip your motor to shreds.

When you move a BUD, with a Gbox , Vbox, or an Analog receiver (4DTV, too), it expects to get pulses from the reed switch.
If the reed is bad, the magnet has moved, or the wires are broken, you get no pulses.
All of the above controllers will shut down immediately if they don't detect pulses, so as to not run your dish into a wall, tree, or rip your motor to shreds.
Thanks Anole, it looks as if this has been rigged to work before I got it. The sensor was siliconed in place and the silicone has come loose. There is no holder to keep it in place. Maybe I will figure a way to keep it secure in place and add a ground wire using a spare orange wire like I have read here on the forum and see if that helps. I hope I can find one of them round sensors if it has went bad. thanks

Thanks Anole, it looks as if this has been rigged to work before I got it. The sensor was siliconed in place and the silicone has come loose. There is no holder to keep it in place. Maybe I will figure a way to keep it secure in place and add a ground wire using a spare orange wire like I have read here on the forum and see if that helps. I hope I can find one of them round sensors if it has went bad. thanks

Post a picture of the motor, I may have a used motor that might have a part you need.

Ill get one of it today and post it. thanks

I checked two different Von Weise units and one has a slotted wheel (no magnets) which I sure you don't have and the other uses a reed switch under a wheel with 4 magnets which I think is what you have. I removed the wheel and the switch is held in place on my unit by two torx screws, could be they didn't want to remove the wheel and just glued a new one in place. Just a guess until some pictures are posted.

I checked two different Von Weise units and one has a slotted wheel (no magnets) which I sure you don't have and the other uses a reed switch under a wheel with 4 magnets which I think is what you have. I removed the wheel and the switch is held in place on my unit by two torx screws, could be they didn't want to remove the wheel and just glued a new one in place. Just a guess until some pictures are posted.

The model of it is a V76-80. It may be older than the hills. Or someone took parts from something else and used them. It was one of them take it down and you can have it.
Im not sure if that is what I have. I took some pictures of it. It is a rod that is smaller than a pencil and about a inch to inch and a 1/8 long. It slides down in a hole just the right size for the sensor. It has 2 wires coming out of it and they are fairly short wired to my wires with wire nuts. It was siliconed down in its hole. It was a bit loose so I put a piece of tape over it to hold it in place but I still got the same results. E-2 on the display of the gbox. Please excuse my dirty fingernails as I had to change a water pump and radiator in my van today!

Attachments

• PICT0033.JPG
    PICT0033.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 193
Can you take a picture straight at it from about 3 ft then maybe it will be in better focus. I'm not sure what you have by looking at your picture.

Found a thread about a Vbox with problems something like you are having, might read them to see if it will help, they talk about reset the box and problem not with the actuator, something to check.

http://www.sadoun.net/forums/free-air-satellite/8958-vbox2-only-goes-west.html

Last edited:
Can you take a picture straight at it from about 3 ft then maybe it will be in better focus. I'm not sure what you have by looking at your picture.

Im holding the sensor in between my fingers. In the 1st picture I have tape over the spot where the sensor goes.next shot is it pulled out to get a better look at it.

Attachments

• PICT0032.JPG
    PICT0032.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 223
  • PICT0034.JPG
    PICT0034.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 215
From your picture you have is a magnetic pickup assembly and not a reed switch and I have a hard time believing that it when bad on you, either both your boxes are bad or one your signal cables maybe has a break in it somewhere. Try shorting one end of the two small wires and measure with a meter and see if you get a short indicated on the other end with the meter.

Last edited:
From your picture you have is a magnetic pickup assembly and not a reed switch and I have a hard time believing that it when bad on you, either both your boxes are bad or one your signal cables maybe has a break in it somewhere. Try shorting one end of the two small wires and measure with a meter and see if you get a short indicated on the other end with the meter.
I will try that tomorrow. I did not have any problems till I put the disecq switch on the coax. I will also try taking that out of the system. thanks

I did a continuity test on the 2 wires running from the magnetic pickup and they are good. I am going to try it with out the disecq switch in line and see if that has anything to do with it but I can not see how that does but this is all new to me. thanks

Update, I called Sadoun, they told me to try the gbox right out at the dish. I did that Still get the e2 error code and now the gbox turns off when I push one of the buttons. The motor runs fine with a lawnmower battery. So I am at a loss. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
The other possibly is something has broken loose inside the gear box. I checked and the one I have also has the sensor hot glued in place like yours. I don't have a scrap one that I can open to see what's inside but maybe someone else has one that they can open.

The other possibly is something has broken loose inside the gear box. I checked and the one I have also has the sensor hot glued in place like yours. I don't have a scrap one that I can open to see what's inside but maybe someone else has one that they can open.

I am not opposed to buying a new actuator but I hate to buy one then find out that the gbox had a problem. I may try to borrow one from my brother to test this one out. Thanks for all the input.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)