vonage hookup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tarik

Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Hi everyone. Am new here and would like you guys to answer some questions for me please.
I was trying to submit an online order thru allsat.com but I said to myself I'd better read the terms first. I learned that dish network charges almost 5 dollars for not connecting your phone line to your receivers. I am thinking about ordering 2 HD receivers (single tuners) and 1 SD receiver (dual tuner) since I am planning to connect 4 TVs. The problems is I have Vonage and I don't have it connected thru the house lines. So, what am I supposed to do?

Is there a reason that you don't have the Vonage box connected to the house wiring?
I just got Vonage the other day and all I did was disconnect the phone company from the box outside and then plugged the Vonage connection into an unused wall socket in the house. Now the whole house is Vonage'd.

Otherwise, you could hook a splitter to the Vonage box and run phone lines to the receivers. Ugly, but it would work.

Is there a reason that you don't have the Vonage box connected to the house wiring?
I just got Vonage the other day and all I did was disconnect the phone company from the box outside and then plugged the Vonage connection into an unused wall socket in the house. Now the whole house is Vonage'd.

Otherwise, you could hook a splitter to the Vonage box and run phone lines to the receivers. Ugly, but it would work.

Does that really work? I've been trying to sell my father on Vonage for a long time, but he's too crotchety to use cordless phones still. You're saying, if I plug the 'output' of the Vonage box into my wall socket, all of the wall outlets will be vonage'd?

Does that really work? I've been trying to sell my father on Vonage for a long time, but he's too crotchety to use cordless phones still. You're saying, if I plug the 'output' of the Vonage box into my wall socket, all of the wall outlets will be vonage'd?
I'm set up that way as well. Helped my father-in-law set up Vonage the same way for him. Just make sure you disconnect the Phone company line coming into your house. Instead of plugging a phone into your adapter, plug the adapter into the phone outlet.

Check the Vonage website and it gives specific instructions on how to do this. I have not done it myself, as I have a very good cordless phone system. However a very good friend of mine has run his Vonage system to his house wiriing, and it works very well.

To the original poster: I have Vonage and what I did was buy a set of the wireless, power line phone jacks off of Ebay (much cheaper than in the store). I plugged in the base (I think that's what it was called) to an outlet near my Vonage Box and ran a line from the out of my Vonage box to one of the jacks there, and then ran anotehr line from the other jack on the phone jack to the base on my cordless phone. My Cordless phone system works now.

Then behind my 622 (HD-DVR), I plugged in the extension to the wireless phone jack to an outlet and ran a phone cord from my 622 to the extension. I then ran a test on the box and it worked great.

It may sound complex, but it's not really. And with buying the phone jacks off of Ebay, i only paid about $35-40, as opposed to $100 + in the stores. The ways I looked at it, it paid for itself in the $5 a month savings.

Bruce

Do I have to physically disconnect the phone line from the 'demarcation point' or will calling the phone company be good enough to 'disconnect' the line?

Do I have to physically disconnect the phone line from the 'demarcation point' or will calling the phone company be good enough to 'disconnect' the line?

According to the Vonage Website, they suggest you physically disconnect the line. It's said that potentially, the phone company could run a signal or power through their line, even though it's disconnected, echncially. That could fry your equipment.

Check out the Vonage Site. It has great instructions

How about the the fact that you have to connect the phone line to the receivers. Is this necessary?

How about the the fact that you have to connect the phone line to the receivers. Is this necessary?

well, if you don't want to pay an additional $5 a month, it is. Don't ask me why, because in my opinion, no one has been ablve to give a satisfactory answer. The ONLY real benefit that phone line does is allow you the option of buying pay-per-view movies with the remote. If I don't care about that, I should be able to ignore that. But Dish still insists it be connected to a phone line.

They do have the receivers...well, the 622 anyway, sort of "call home" once a month or so, to verify it is hooked up at your address, I guess. Sort of like an auditing service. For receivers that are not connected, I hear they have sort of an audit team phone customers at random to verify the receivers are in the place they say they are. I don't know...and don't really care. It didn't cost me a lot to set it up this way and I am SOOOO much happier with Dish than I was when I was with Direct. So it's ok by me.

Bruce

You dont have to but you cant order pay per views with the remote, plus you will be billed $5.00 per month for the second tuner of a dual tuner receiver.

I just got vonage a couple of weeks ago. I use the Dish Network wireless phone system to connect to my receivers. I have the base station plugged in to the Vonage box, and the extension units hooked to my two receivers. Works great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts