VOOM and Audio dropouts galore...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

NOHDjunkie

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 20, 2004
Lacombe La
VOOM and Audio dropouts galore... (Fixed)

OK Just got a new DD 7.1 Receiver...... hooked up the Optical audio..... Get continuous audio dropouts on HBO HD, SHOW HD and just about any other HD pay channel.... and half the time the video stutters or drops along with the audio.

Tied rebooting and unplugging....

can't even watch a movie in 5.1, pretty sad.

And while I'm whining, What is the malfunction with the audio on the Cinema 10 channels?? It sounds like it's coming from a cave. And I have yet to be able to watch the movie Countdown without the audio being a garbled mess.

And nope.... it's not operator error. My Samsung OTA box and Dish Network both work just fine.

This new software update better fix a lot of stuff..... I really don't know how much more I can take @ $100 a month.

I have seen the DD5.1 audio drop on HDnews (but this is known decoder problem). Last night I watched the entire game on ESPN-HD without a single DD5.1 drop out. I also watched a movie on Cinema 10 before the game and there was no DD5.1 audio drop. Are you dropping video also? It sounds like you have a reception problem. What is your signal quality on HBO-HD or any HD channel? What is your weather condition?

Check your new equation to this situation. Be sure to rule out the audio link on your new reciever. Plug a DVD player into the same optical input and try that out as well. Also try digital coax instead of optical, i've had better luck and there is absolutely no performance loss, maybe, from a durability standpoint it's a gain.

NOHDjunkie said:
OK Just got a new DD 7.1 Receiver...... hooked up the Optical audio..... Get continuous audio dropouts on HBO HD, SHOW HD and just about any other HD pay channel.... and half the time the video stutters or drops along with the audio.

Tied rebooting and unplugging....

can't even watch a movie in 5.1, pretty sad.

And while I'm whining, What is the malfunction with the audio on the Cinema 10 channels?? It sounds like it's coming from a cave. And I have yet to be able to watch the movie Countdown without the audio being a garbled mess.

And nope.... it's not operator error. My Samsung OTA box and Dish Network both work just fine.

This new software update better fix a lot of stuff..... I really don't know how much more I can take @ $100 a month.
I know what your saying, I been vooming since April 28th. Major initial problems, but once the 568 firmware was sent some of the issues went away but the VIDEO STUTTER EVERY 15 SECONDS is crazy. This is going to be the reason I give up very soon if things dont get better. The other problems of losing the audio when switching stations and the every so often video green blocks followed by a 1.0 second blackout of the picture can be waited for to get fixed but this EVERY 15 Seconds stuff really needs to get fixed.

I'm learning Cablevision's staff isnt much better then anyone else. I initially spoke with Customer Support many times, not much done. Then emailed Wilt, he said it would get taken care of, passed me to Peter Rees, where we had initial emails but that didnt really go anywheres, then a lady named, and I dont remember off hand, im not at home right now, but Lori, who is in charge of special situations, sent me an email 1 week and a half ago to call her asap, but I have called her and left messages 12 times and never got a response of anyhting back. I'm being told that she is in NY at Cablevision and they are hard to get on the phone. Well, what the heck..... Im patiently waiting, but it's running thin.

I really didnt want to complain online but if it gets the situation rectified quicker, why not. I still have D* and most of the time I been watching the shows on there so i dont have to deal with 15 sec Stutter.

BTW DVI,Diplexed,Optical.... but since other people have same problem, don't think it's got anythjing to do with it.

NOHDjunkie, check your optical cable for any bends or twists. That'll mess up mine pretty good.

flipper2001- I'd been following the stutter problem closely before signing up with Voom and was worried I'd see it all of the time like a similar problem with old digital cable (SureWest) which was every 20 seconds or so and drove me *nuts*, but I only see it every 8-10 minutes or so with Voom. I wonder if STB related...

I wonder if he still getting audio dropouts because I was watching MOOV today for a good 15 minutes then changed to cinema to watch 633 Squadron and now ESPN-HD and soon TNT-HD. I have not experienced one audio drop out yet this evening. As I said before the audio DD5.1 drop out is evident on HDnews. But he was also getting Video drop out so I still wonder what the signal quality is.

I am wondering how many people experience this video stutter problem because I don't. Not that I am particularly looking for it but I just don't see it on my plasma with component and native rez mode. As I mentioned above I also don't have any audio dropouts. Are you guys sure that these problems are at the Voom end?

I have never had any audio dropouts , I have seen stutter problems but very far and few in between , I am not using optical .

Seems to have cleared up on it's own. (the DD5.1 drops).

Weather seems to be the obvious culprit but there was nothing notable going on weatherwise. White Puffy clouds, sunshine & blue sky. Sunspots? LOL...

When I went back to check, the drops stopped. (it only lasted a couple of hours) Sat Signal is steady at 94-95 power at 80.

Anyway, I watched MIB II and the Matrix Reloaded without incident last night. (Except microstutter) Sound was great. DD 5.1 is SOOOO much better than standard dolby Surround.

The Microstutter must be a software/hardware/memory/STB thing because it happens with OTA as well as Satellite. It's there, but not terribly annoying

Let's hope the "May" software download fixes this STB. The most annoying problem is the occasional loss of audio when changing channels. I use a Replay DVR to record shows from Voom ( Thanks to MP posting a "How To" on this forum) So far I have recorded two shows that wound up with no audio.

They really need to fix this STB to make it more reliable. OTA scanning will be cool. The latest (5.68) is much better than the previous software version. I hope the improvement ratio of the next fix is as notable.

BTW my OTA mapping has been flawless. All 11 of my availalbe OTA digital channels come it perfectly @ 30 miles from the towers with my existing large amplified rooftop antenna. ( The supplied Channel Master is a POS)

Bring on the DVR so I can Drop DISH!!! ( wife won't let me till then)

Sean,

FYI - for me I have no audio drop AFTER I have the station tuned in, I just have a problem when I change to station, but once it's tuned I never lose the audio.

I also loose audio about 75% of the time when I switch voom channels. I do not have this problem for OTA channels. The STB's digital out is connected to my B&K Reference 30 pre/pro. It is probably because for some reason my pre/pro dose not detect the DD 5.1 signal right away when the channel is switched. Since DD 5.1 decoder is not activated for the DD5.1 signal, the audio is lost. I have a Comcast HD box and I never experience this audio problem with it. Since I do not have the problem for Voom's OTA channels either, it makes me believe that the problem may be due to the way Voom's satellite channels were broadcasted.

Another possibility is that I do not have the up to date firmware for my B&K Reference 30. My firmware version is 2.05. I wonder if any member in this forum having a B&K processor with the latest firmware can express whether they have the same audio problem or not.

Yes, the audio loss when changing channels is a known bug. It has been brought to the attention of VOOM engineers. We were told or I read that this was another one of the next software improvements.

I have been having audio and video dropouts on StarzHD and EncoreHD today all other channels seem to be fine even non-hd starz and encore. Is this a known problem?

Audio drop-out

I have been experiencing audio-dropout while watching the last few hockey games on my OTA ABC station (WKBW-DT, Buffalo NY). On top of that, over the last few weeks on the same channel with other programs on, I would sometimes get a picture with no sound or sound without a picture. The majority of the time the channel works OK. It may be related to HD programming. The other OTA channels are fine most of the time. Anyone else experience this sound drop-out or sound/picture problem? Anyone have an idea of what causes this?

There's a known bug with the audio loss when changing channels, just channel up then back down and the sound should come in ok. A PITA, but it works.

DarrellP, that trick works on most Voom channels when there is no sound at all but my problem with the OTA ABC channel was the sound fading in and out (thru-out the whole hockey game). Going up/down didn't work at all.

That's most likely not a Voom issue, but a local station issue. Get to know your local station engineers and give them feedback, most of them are willing to work with you and are glad to receive feedback since most of them rarely monitor their own channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts