Voom and Comcast? Compatible, friendly?

KeithQ

Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
DFW
So here is the deal...

We are moving this month to a location just a bit farther away from our local SBC spot and there is no DSL available. Since I also run a home business which relies on the Internet, I have to have high speed access. So, that means Comcast digital cable, as much as I dislike that idea.

I also want to install Voom for the HD content (have an integrated Hitachi and 7.1 Dolby system) and the locals.

Has anyone run across any problems trying to do both? I would use Voom in the media room as well as the digital box from Comcast. Since I normally A/V switch thorugh my Yamaha receiver, my only negative is I don't have enough component connections for an HD receiver, DVD changer, digital box (assume they have component out) and my new DVD-audio/SACD player.

Any comments on the DVI out from Voom? Suppose I could forgo switching for a good DVI connection. Will it also pass OTA as well?

Thanks in advance.

KeithQ said:
Any comments on the DVI out from Voom? Suppose I could forgo switching for a good DVI connection. Will it also pass OTA as well?
Yes, DVI will pass everything, the same as Component. Just make sure your TV set's DVI is HDCP-compliant.

What I'd love to see is a QAM receiver in our VOOM boxes, and a triplexer so I could input my limited basic cable to get my local digital and sd channels integrated right into the voom list. I want to surf all my channels in a continous stream, without haveing to switch inputs on my tv or receiver.

If voom doesn't want to do it because of reasons of competition, wouldn't it be great if some consumer electronics manufacturer, made a antenna receiver bus, where you could just plug a module in for each type of ant you want to receive on, and then integrate the channels into one continous channel list of the users own design, and order.

Comcast/voom

In addition to Voom, I still retained my Comcast HD locals plus INDHD. The Voom box connects to my Sony via the DVI and the Comcast box connects to my Sony through component cable. It's a sweet set up, except for the "pain" of switching inputs on my tv, receivers, and audio receivers, everytime I want to go from Cable to Voom and viceversa. My Harmony remote, however, makes it a breeze.

I also have high speed internet through Comcast and it has been excellent.

Martin-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)