Voom and my Onkyo 601

i love my onkyo reciever. paid 500 - 100 dollar rebate at circuit city.

and yes i have heard and tested every dang reciever under 2500bucks. and this one really is worth every dollar. heres the link to my system.

Onkyo HT-S760

Yes, Channel 101 (The Locusts) is in 5.1 right now (Most of the Voom exclusive channels like RAVE, Ultra, etc are in 5.1 all the time). You might need to assign the digital audio connection using the menu buttons in the front of your receiver I had to do this with mine.

I have E* and I tested it. When I watch E* the receiver switches to DD5.1 but on Voom it does not. What could be the problem. I will try one more thing to see if that changes things.

Which digital input connection is the Voom box hooked up to? I have Comcast HD on Video-1 and Voom on Video-2, both of which I had to assign in the menus in order for the receiver to process everthing correctly.

Sorry guys for all the trouble. I had switched the Voom stb a while ago to pcm and forgot to switch it back, it works now. Just one more question which setting should I leave it on when watching non dd5.1 tv?

As gene, babyj and I have said, the 601 should switch automatically to PLII (pro logic 2) when not in 5.1 and then back to Dolby D when it does sense 5.1. Is yours not doing that?

omard. said:
Sorry guys for all the trouble. I had switched the Voom stb a while ago to pcm and forgot to switch it back, it works now. Just one more question which setting should I leave it on when watching non dd5.1 tv?

hehe, don't worry about it. I figured as much. I was just about to post about how you've got the STB set up. BTW we both also have the same Tv. good choice there. ;)

Off the subject a little, what do you guys use for surround speakers (make, model, part of a system or not, 5.1/6.1/7.1)? If I upgrade my receiver to a 7.1 I will have to either purchase 1 or 2 more speakers or go with a different setup altogether.

And BTW, the Voom 5.1 channels sound great, even though some of them blow you off the couch when switch from one to the other. ;)

TC_Lauderdale said:
Off the subject a little, what do you guys use for surround speakers (make, model, part of a system or not, 5.1/6.1/7.1)? If I upgrade my receiver to a 7.1 I will have to either purchase 1 or 2 more speakers or go with a different setup altogether.

And BTW, the Voom 5.1 channels sound great, even though some of them blow you off the couch when switch from one to the other. ;)

I'm actually using 6.1, I've got a polk center speaker , an MTX 12" home theater sub, 2 MTX 12" monitor series fronts, and 3 polk surround speakers for the rears.

hope you know that you need either the coax or fiber opt cable to get 5.1 .. just using the audio outs to aux ins won't activate the 5.1

My Onkyo loves VOOM with 5.1 on ALL HD channels. Never has liked HBO HD much or Showtime HD from DirecTV. TiVO never has liked much on DireTV but the other night it did record (and was played on the Onkyo) a true Dolby Digital signal from HBO. Needles to say HDNET has been the best source for Dolby Digital from D* Anyone that has been around for a while would confirm that proper sound tracts from E*& D* has just started to become available! Say what you want but VOOM has the best sound for your Onkyo everyday on every HD channel. You will really enjoy it. As far as my setup it never seemed to be correct since DirecTV couldn't get their act together. It has improved now, however but still not always correct. There is another setting on my TX-DS898 that you left out, Enhanced 7, that I use for my 7.1 listening in 5.1. Looking @ the Onkyo Owners Manual I find 21 Listening Modes! I was confused too and who wouldn't be? VOOM so far seems to do a great job so you may not have to deal with issues of the past. Good Luck & Enjoy!

I use all Fluance speakers with my Denon 3805. Crisp, clean, and very affordable even for a 7.1 setup. They sell on Ebay as well as from their website, and ifyou watch their auctions carefully you can often save a lot of money over their website prices. By the way, anyone looking to upgrade from a 5.1 system is doing themselvesa disservice if they don't get a PLIIx-capable 7.1 system. The discrete rears is a REALLY cool feature.

-MP

omard. said:
What about the Onkyo what setting is that at during regular tv watching?

If I choose to watch something in say 2.0 and listen to it thru the reciever, I will
put it in pro logic. But I usually don't pipe it thru if it's not in dolby digital. I'll just listen to it thru my tv's speakers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts