VOOM and OTA HDTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sraider

Original poster
Aug 8, 2005
I have the VOOM receivers and the powered antenna and receiving signals from the stations but receivers will not present programming in HDTV. I can get the shrunken version when I use the lesser quality video outputs from the receiver.
The signal strenghts are well into the green 95+. Any help or explanation would be helpful

Hello sraider, I have voom receivers, on the remote control press voom -> green -> green select (1) picture format if you set the narrow to wide and wide to narrow correctly the video should look like attached photos at least for NBC. I done this with a widescreen computer i think the computer screens are 15:9 showing a slightly incorrect aspect ratio. I dont have an hdtv compatible or 16:9 tv hope this helps. :)

Attachments

• hdtv.jpg
    hdtv.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 250
  • hdtv_w_stand_vid_clips.jpg
    hdtv_w_stand_vid_clips.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 213
  • standard_def.jpg
    standard_def.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 198
I have a voom box for OTA which seems to be working fine. However on one channel, when I use the "aim antenna" feature is shows 94% yet when I scan for channels it will not lock on and thus I'm not able to watch that channel. Bothers me as it is my local Fox affiliate and I wanted to watch football in HD. I get about 10 HD channels, so it appears the HD receiver is working????

Any suggestions or recommendations??? Or point me in the right direction?

Sounds like a multi-path problem. Try moving the aim of your antenna a few degrees left or right. Are you using a pre-amp on your antenna? If yes, you could be over-powering signals, which exacerbates multi-path problems. Try a lower power pre-amp. Try a 6 db fixed attenuator from Radio Shack on the input to your VOOM receiver.

Those are the simple and inexpensive things to try. It gets to be a lot more work and money if those don't help.

Carl B said:
Sounds like a multi-path problem. Try moving the aim of your antenna a few degrees left or right. Are you using a pre-amp on your antenna? If yes, you could be over-powering signals, which exacerbates multi-path problems. Try a lower power pre-amp. Try a 6 db fixed attenuator from Radio Shack on the input to your VOOM receiver.

Those are the simple and inexpensive things to try. It gets to be a lot more work and money if those don't help.

Thanks for the suggestions. This weekend I will try moving the antenna a little. While trying to find the right location, I was surprised by how little moving the antenna actually made. It is one of those Winegard antenna's that looks like a wing. I'm right at 28.5 miles from the towers and all our towners are on the same hill. I believe it has a amp built in but there is no power cord. I think it is powered through the RF but could be wrong. I picked up the Voom box on ebay and the guy threw in the antenna.

I did find some add'l info from another site. It mentioned the Voom box might not lock onto a signal if the channel is not broadcasting their ID or something since the Voom does not do channel mapping. I really don't understand what that means and hope your suggestions work. Will post back on how things work.

I've heard that story about the VOOM boxes also. DTV stations broadcast information as well as video in the digital stream. If they don't have their PSIP and channel assignment data correct, apparently the VOOM receiver won't recognize them.

If this is the problem, my suggestions won't help. In that case see if any of your neighbors are receiving DTV. Ask them if they get that channel and if they do, does it come in on its assigned virtual channel with appropriate designations on the info screen or is it coming in on its assigned actual channel number. If the latter, call the station and tell them what you believe to be true about their signal. These stations were all supposed to have their act together by, I thing, July 1 of this year. If they don't, the FCC won't look kindly on them.

Carl B said:
I've heard that story about the VOOM boxes also. DTV stations broadcast information as well as video in the digital stream. If they don't have their PSIP and channel assignment data correct, apparently the VOOM receiver won't recognize them.

If this is the problem, my suggestions won't help. In that case see if any of your neighbors are receiving DTV. Ask them if they get that channel and if they do, does it come in on its assigned virtual channel with appropriate designations on the info screen or is it coming in on its assigned actual channel number. If the latter, call the station and tell them what you believe to be true about their signal. These stations were all supposed to have their act together by, I thing, July 1 of this year. If they don't, the FCC won't look kindly on them.

Well I'm sure hope that is not the problem, but I'm afraid it might be. I'll play some this weekend. I'm in Dallas and this is a Fox affiliate, so I would think there would be no issues with the PSIP. But who knows. I temporarily unhooked the receiver as I need some more component cables. I understand that unplugging the unit makes a "hard reset" that may help as well. So will see.

Don't be afraid to contact the Head of Engineering at your local Fox affiliate. Over the years, I have had PSIP problems with broadcasters in the Washington DC and Richmond VA areas and they have been very helpful in resolving these issues. If it affects you, it most likely affects others. As a last resort you can always contact the VP of Operations or the Director of Public Affairs.

Also, the VOOM "In your Area" Forum was developing into an excellent resource for local reception issues....but you know the rest of the story. Unfortunately, AVSForum remains the best source of local reception information. You may wish to check out their Local HDTV Info and Reception forum as well.

riffjim4069 said:
Don't be afraid to contact the Head of Engineering at your local Fox affiliate. Over the years, I have had PSIP problems with broadcasters in the Washington DC and Richmond VA areas and they have been very helpful in resolving these issues. If it affects you, it most likely affects others. As a last resort you can always contact the VP of Operations or the Director of Public Affairs.

Also, the VOOM "In your Area" Forum was developing into an excellent resource for local reception issues....but you know the rest of the story. Unfortunately, AVSForum remains the best source of local reception information. You may wish to check out their Local HDTV Info and Reception forum as well.

Thanks for the info. I fequent AVS and think I posted there as well and found this site from AVS! You would think with all the cheap Voom boxes out there that there would be even more information, but so far tough to find. Tho this site has had by far the most/best information.

OK, I haven't played with it yet, but assuming it is a PSIP and the station is not able to fix it, I'm understanding I need a HD receiver with "channel mapping" is that righ? What do I look for on the features of a receiver to know if it can "channel"?

I would LOVE to get this voom box up and running. However, I have less then a $100 in it and that includes the antenna which seems to be working great! So while I hate to just toss aside the voom box, I'm certainly not married to it.

OK, round two of set up complete,

I still cannot get Fox to lock in despite is showing a strong signal (between 90 & 94). What I did,

Previously my antenna was just sitting in my attic (actually sitting one of my A/C ducts). I went up this morning and mounted it to my ridge beam which is as high as I can get without going out side. I then played with directions with great results. Now I get quite a few channels (previously I was getting about 6 digital channels and only 2 of the 4 main networks), now I get about 15 digital channels and 3 of the 4 main networks. Fox being the only holdout :mad:

Basically I've gone with HD in this basic set up to learn about it and watch Football, meaning I need Fox! If I could get Fox, I would be gold as I really was looking for the four main networks (local affiliates) NBC, CBS, ABC & FOX.

I'll go pick up that 6 db attenuator this afternoon, but if I understand this is a filter to cut back signal strength??? Not sure that is going to help. At one point, I had ABC pegged at 99% and did not have a problem. Moving it slightly to get CBS over 85 dropped ABC to about 92, but obviously still plenty strong. And as mentioned Fox shows between 90-94 but won't lock in when I scan for channels :mad:

This really should be easy, I'm in Dallas and all the channels broadcast from the only hill in N. Tx (per antennaweb 28.5 miles from me and at 197, 197, 196 and 194 degrees). ABC is shown at 197 degrees as a VHF channel and I get it no problem. FOX is UHF shows at 197, with a strong signal but no lock. NBC/CBS are UHF at 196/194 degrees and get them fine (now).

Think on Monday I will call Fox and see if they can check their PSIP. I really don't know what to ask them about, but maybe I'll get a nice tech who can at least figure out what I'm asking.

I have locals that show as high as 98 and 99 and they work without a problem. Is the FOX affiliate in question KDFW-DT, RF35 (4-1)? If so, the following individual has received, or is receiving, this channel with his VOOM STB: txdude - you may wish to send the dude a PM.

Also, what DMA Map is your receiver using? Why? For example, my home DMA is Washington DC (008) that already has local channel WDCA-DT, RF35, mapped to 20-1. Could it be possible that the default map/super DMA map is conflicting with your local FOX channel being able to properly map (VOOM receiver is expecting to see PSIP 20-1 on RF35 and not PSIP 4-1). Personally, I have picked up two conflicting channels while scanning, both RF46 (one out of Charlottesville VA and the other out of Baltimore MD), but they both map just fine. Of course, there may be a significant difference since both of these channels are outside my home DMA of Washington DC.

Anyway, let us know what DMA Map you are using (Help-Info-Select). If there is a mapping conflict, is it possible to HIDE the channel and avoid the conflict? I don't know...just tossing out suggestions. We may have to call on Ilya, the VOOM STB OTA Heavy Hitter (steroid free BTW :D ) in order to find out.

What ever happened to sraider?

BTW, check the SNR on your VOOM receiver (a very nice feature). If the SNR remains at a constant...oh, say 18+...then I you probably don't have a multipath problem. If you're receiving a 90-94, and don't suffer from multipath, then I suspect you should have a relatively constant SNR of 22+.

sdallnct said:
I haven't played with it yet, but assuming it is a PSIP and the station is not able to fix it, I'm understanding I need a HD receiver with "channel mapping" is that righ? What do I look for on the features of a receiver to know if it can "channel"?
In September 2004, the FCC issued a Report & Order that required broadcasters to send PSIP in their DTV broadcasts, to be effective NLT 1 Feb 2005. The order adopts the ATSC A/65 PSIP standard in its entirety, with no exceptions. Static PSIP systems do not comply with the FCC mandate. To comply with the FCC regulation, stations must implement dynamic PSIP (i.e. PSIP that changes to reflect changing configuration and actual schedules). Furthermore, the dynamic information present in the broadcast PSIP needs to be accurate and up-to-date.

I tend to doubt that your local FOX affiliate is broadcasting a non-compliant PSIP datastream. Plus, most of the PSIP datastream problems were implemented and resolved earlier this year (i.e. I had a 3rd generation Mits ATSC tuner that incorrectly mapped a Richmond DTV (also wouldn't display program data) and a 4th generation Samsung ATSC tuner that has a similar problem with a DC DTV channel). Anyway, I would suggest taking a closer look at local channel mapping on the VOOM STB.

riffjim4069 thanks for trying to help I really appreciate it. OK lets see if I found everything (still new at all this);

-Yes the channel I'm trying to lock is KDFW-DT (Fox) 4.1 RF 35
-I checked and my Voom box has FW V6.20
-The SNR showed 79/31.XX (XX fluxuated a little but it stayed between 31.XX and 32.XX)
-Off-Air Map is 0026
-IPG Region is 01 (don't know if you need that)

I really appreciate any help, it would be great if I could get all the channels I wanted with this box!

And when I do channel scan, I get a definate pause at RF 35, but then it won't "add it" to my list and moves on.

Your signal levels and SNR look really good...in fact, your signal is almost perfect - I doubt you have a problem with multipath. I believe your 79 on v6.20 is just a good a 98/99 on my VOOM STB with v7.37.

v6.00 implemented the OTA scan feature and came preloaded on a certain series of VOOM STBs, while v6.10 was the first real production version (if you had v.6.00 you were updated overnight to 6.10 or the current software release. As I recall, v6.10 came out in July 2004 and worked pretty well for me...but others had OTA issues. It was then replaced by v6.20 in Aug 2004, which was total crap for me but worked well for others. There were also some problems with folks scanning RF36 channels, but I don't recall the specifics right now other than to say it was too close to RF37 (FCC reserved) and interfered with the operation of the receiver.

Ok, DMA 26 is currently San Diego CA which does not have an RF channel 35. However, I noticed that DMA 27 (Hartford & New Haven CN) has WVIT-DT, channel 30-1 (RF35). Is it possible that Hartford & New Haven was the 26th largest DMA at the time v6.20 was released? It's possible, but I don't know for sure. Do you have WVIT-DT listed in your local channels? If not, take a look at the your mapped channels at compare them to the NAB DTV List.

Do you know how to hide your local channels? Offhand, I haven't been using my VOOM receiver and would have to plug it back in...but you can give this a try: press the VOOM button, green button once, highlight local channels and press ok, check to make sure channels are not hidden, if they are, highlight them and press ok to make the hide box go away...and vice-versa.

Lastly, there should have been a software version 6.20 bugs thread somewhere on the VOOM Forum. You may wish to search the VOOM News and Developments Forum for more info.

I recently purchased this box from a guy on ebay and his location shows ESCONDIDO, CA which is just north of San Diego so the mapping would make sense (I of course do not know if these were his boxes or he was re-selling or what), but since he had not sold a lot of items on ebay and was throwing in the OTA anteanna that voom put with the box, I kind of guessed this was just an individual user.

Per the NAB map there are six channels I'm not getting including Fox. Now one of thems is at heading 278 so I kind of throw that one out as I understand the antenna I have is pretty directional (all the other channels are between 193 and 197). three of the remaining five channels I don't get are IND which I assume is independent and perhaps just don't have the strength to reach me??? One channel (TFT RF 48) I have not seen listed anywhere else so I do not know it's direction or anything. So that leaves FOX!

I'm going to play some more and try out signal strengths on some of those IND channels.

Yes, I know how to hide, unhide a channel in the program guide. Where does the program guid come from? I thought it just populated when I scan for channels?

So close, yet so far!

Check out this post - ram1220, in Plano TX, lost 2 OTA channels when VOOM upgraded from firmware 6.10 to 6.20. Firmware 7.26 and 7.37 have been pretty solid...just wish there was a way to upgrade the firmeware on the VOOM STB. Oh, I will assume Plano is in the Dallas-Ft Worth DMA?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts