VOOM and OTA HDTV

riffjim4069 said:
IMO, any ACTIVE box with v7.26 or v7.37 should work...but you're still rolling the dice. I'm surprised more people in the Dallas/Ft Worth area aren't using the VOOM STB. Also, this is a moot point if you decide to get a Dish 811 or 942.

Yup, just trying to explore all my options...

-Don't think I will do the 942. I like the idea, but don't want to spend the $$. Plus when I called dish back last night to discuss their install charge on the 811, they told me they had no deals currently on the 942. Now I know if I call back, I might get a different answer but I know I don't want to spend $600 or whatever they are now.
-So the 811 comes back in play. I like the option of having Dish HD if I wanted it. I was going to need another receiver in another room so I can move my 311 in the other room and use the 811 in my HT room so essentially no additional cost (other then the $100 install fee). I don't like that so many have had problems with it. Plus I would have to spend about $40 on a power converter/adapter for the antenna I'm using to work as the 811 does not power out thru the RF adapter.
-For not much more then the $40 I would spend on the antenna power adapter, I could get another Voom box. And IF it worked would have no additional $5.00 charge and no $100 install fee (I still can't get them to wave that, but I'm still trying).

I realize a couple hundred $$ is not a big deal either way, but....hate to not get a decent value....

I am having a problem with Aspect Ratio (gray or blacked out sides of screen) on some channels with this dsr550 voom reciever.I have the latest software and I have tride to change the view in setup but this is not correcting the problem. is there an option to Select the Aspect Ratio 4:3/16:9 and where is it ? Thanks

ddolds said:
I am having a problem with Aspect Ratio (gray or blacked out sides of screen) on some channels with this dsr550 voom reciever.I have the latest software and I have tride to change the view in setup but this is not correcting the problem. is there an option to Select the Aspect Ratio 4:3/16:9 and where is it ? Thanks

I have not played with aspect ratio on my. But it is my understanding that if you are using a WS display and the image is WS, then you are getting a HD signal. If you get the black bars on the sides (4:3) then it is not a HD signal.

OK, ordered another Voom box with latest FW. Was too cheap, not to give it one more chance ($50.00 shipped). I'm trying to get by for about a year then I plan on a massive upgrade in my HT room (new Tive, DVD player, and HD receiver) as I will put all these current items in my bar (when I build it :)). Then I will look to get a HD DVR, nicer DVD player, etc.

Course if this Voom box doesn't work...then it is back to square one!

sdallnct said:
What are the chances that a newer FW version would work (with or w/o PSIP information)?
If the problem is PSIP-related the new firmware will not help, unless of course you will get a box with a Super-DMA that includes your channel.

ddolds said:
ddolds, I have replied to your question in another thread.

Ilya said:
If the problem is PSIP-related the new firmware will not help, unless of course you will get a box with a Super-DMA that includes your channel.

Guess will see what I get, already ordered. Course with the Hurricane, I will likely have to go to Florida so who knows how long before I can actually try it.

Ilya said:

Ilya, I had just bought Scott G.'s Voom box that he had in the classified section. (still waiting on arrival) From reading this thread I am worried that since Scott lives in A different DMA, I may not be able to pick up some of my channels in the Indianapolis, Lafayette, IN DMA. Am I reading into this correctly?

jssat said:
Ilya, I had just bought Scott G.'s Voom box that he had in the classified section. (still waiting on arrival) From reading this thread I am worried that since Scott lives in A different DMA, I may not be able to pick up some of my channels in the Indianapolis, Lafayette, IN DMA. Am I reading into this correctly?
It is not common for a station not to send PSIP data. Most stations do, so most likely you will be ok, as long as the box is activated and the antenna is powerful enough for your location.

jssat said:

Ilya and the other guys know a lot more then me, but after working with mine I may unwittingly become an expert on them.

No, you are not reading it correctly (or perhaps completely would be more accurate).

If the Voom box has a later firm ware that allows you to "scan for channels", the box was activated, the card is included, then you should be able to scan for channels and pick up all your local channels.

However, if there are channel(s) in your area that are not broadcasting their PSIP or it is corrupt, then your voom box will not lock onto it and you cannot watch the channel. In these cases you would need a voom box that had your local map in it since the channel would already be there.

Everything I read says that it should be very rare for a channel to not broadcast it's PSIP as it is a FCC mandate. But there have been some reports of it happening. Evidently these Voom boxes are very sensitive to that PSIP information.

Hey it Worked!!!!!!!

OK, got in my 2nd Voom box late yesterday and just plugged in. It worked, it worked!!! I know get all major HD channels!!!! :D :D :D

Brief recap,

I had ordered a Voom box on ebay that came with the powered Wineguard Senar antenna. It all worked great except I could not get it to lock onto my Fox affiliate not matter what I tried. This despite me getting a very strong signal for the station, this unit had FW 6.20.

After doing much research many suggested it was a PSIP issue with the local station and/or the fact it was old FW

I bought a 2nd Voom box on ebay from a guy selling them really cheap as they came with nothing (no diplexer, no remote, no cords) only the card was included. Before buying he agreed to find me one with the latest FW of 7.37.

I made no changes to my system other then unplugging the old unit and plugging in the replacement. All I did was use aim antenna to confirm I was still getting a strong signal, then scanned for channels and it picked up my Fox affiliate no problem. I needed to unplug anyway to get all the wires straight and put it in the right location, so I again tried on the old box with no success.

I don't know why the FW would make a difference when both units would scan for channels. I suppose I could have just got an "bad" unit on the 6.20 one, but odd that it was that one and only channel I could not get. Maybe it is a PSIP issue and the newer FW can handle it better or is not as sensitive to it.

Anyway, in the end still spent less then 1/2 of the cost of a new box/antenna and I don't have to pay the $5.00 per month to Dish Network. This will get me through till at least the MPEG4 washes out.

Very happy now!!!! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)