Voom and Sears

mechaley

Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
I was passing by Sears in Pasadena last night and decided to pop in and see if they had Voom hooked-up yet. When I was in there a couple of weeks ago, they where in the process of renovating their audio-video department and the Voom was disconnected. It seems all the Sears in So CA are in the process of renovating their AV departments. I have not ordered Voom yet. I want to see it myself before I order it.

Sears now has a lot of Plasma and rear projection TV's on display. The only problem was they had no roof antenna hooked up and the only HD channel they had was the D* Discovery channel. The Voom equipment was now in a location far removed from all the HD TV's. It wasn't connected to anything but a 10" LCD display. I ask the sales person when they planned on powering everything up. His response was in a week or two.

What's up with Sears? They must of had 20 different HD TV's with nothing to show customers but the one channel. If I were Sears, I would have the Voom and a roof antenna setup to show why someone would want to buy a HD TV. Who would drop 2 to 7 grand after only seeing 1 channel? :shocked

The Voom display was another issue. Why would I buy Voom if the HD channels were shown on a 10" screen? It would look about the same as SD TV. If I worked at Sears, I would have Voom hooked up to a 50" plasma! You would sell move Vooms and more TV's. They don't have a clue.

Anyone else run into anything like this at Sears? Is there any other stores in the Pasadena CA area that have Voom hooked up?

My local Sears has all of their HDTV's (and SDTV's) connected to Voom, it's awesome to go in there and see Voom so prominently displayed.

mechaley said:
Anyone else run into anything like this at Sears?
Not at SEARS, but at Circuit City and Best Buy for two years while I was looking to buy an HDTV, I wanted to see OTA HD and all either of those two stores had was their one channel HDTV loop (they called it), finally a new store came to town called Hi Fi Buys and it didn't take me long to decide... HD is where it's at.... But, I actually first saw OTA HD at SEARS, on a saturday college football game from the local CBS affilliate, but they couldn't convince me to part with my money.... They didn't have Voom at that time... I'm an early Voomer, I got tired of waiting for them to get it set up (after 3 different trips to the store) and purchased it without ever seeing it... I actually had Voom before my local SEARS store did... they had the equipment, but it wasn't set up...
mechaley said:
Is there any other stores in the Pasadena CA area that have Voom hooked up?
Go to www.voom.com and click on "GET IT", then click on "STORE LOCATOR" and that should be able to let you know if other stores in your area have Voom...
On another note, welcome to the forum....

voomvoom said:
Go to www.voom.com and click on "GET IT", then click on "STORE LOCATOR" and that should be able to let you know if other stores in your area have Voom...
On another note, welcome to the forum....

I tried using the VOOM site to locate a VOOM dealer in my area. I called everyone listed, no one had it setup. So much for using the VOOM dealer locator :(

mechaley said:
I tried using the VOOM site to locate a VOOM dealer in my area. I called everyone listed, no one had it setup. So much for using the VOOM dealer locator :(

Don't worry about seeing it before you order it. If you have a HDTV you got to get it. You won't be sorry.

Sears actually uses a special DVR device which was contracted out to Dish a couple years back to provide an HD feed for all the TVs. It's not an actual live feed you're looking at, although most stores can switch to other channels if need be (a no-no according to the company btw). It's special programming that downloads once a month. That DVR is connected through special component multiplexers to feed the entire department. I know, because I just re-wired the whole freakin' thing after the recent remodel.

As far as Voom goes, it's true the company plans for the new satellite content displays call for a smaller HD LCD TV hooked up to next to the Voom display, but I know I, and some other stores are outputting to bigger TVs as well.

There are ignorant employees in any company. I happen to work for Sears and have been in the electronics/computers business for a long time. I like to think I know my s**t to a good degree. No, there aren't as many of us left because retail pays next to nothing anymore thanks to the Wal-Martization of the business. I suspect you'll find just as many drooling pimple-faced kids working at your local Best Buy.

BTW Walt, if you catch this thread, is the new lease promo official or not? The local Voom rep knew nothing about it, but then again she doesn't know much about the product she represents in general. I need to know what to tell my customers. We haven't received any guidance directly from Voom on this matter.

Seawaves said:
Pass on Voom. Get DirecTV, they even have a real DVR not a bunch of broken promises.

Why would anyone need a DVR to manage 6 HD channels. Don't listen to this guy mechaley, he's just one of those Voom bashing trolls sent here by D*.
Remember, he who dies with the most HD channels wins!!! :yes

r.jones1116 said:
Why would anyone need a DVR to manage 6 HD channels. Don't listen to this guy mechaley, he's just one of those Voom bashing trolls sent here by D*.

It will also record OTA not just what's on the bird.

r.jones1116 said:
And that has increased your HD channels from 6 to ???

Well in my case-CBS,NBC,ABC,PBS,WB and UPN.

r.jones1116 said:
You had better get busy dying then ... With D* equipment I currently receive:

ESPN HD (This is the only one that matters in the whole list, including Voom's list)
HBO HD
ShowTime HD
Discovery HD
HDNet
HDNet Movies
Bravo HD+
CBS HD
NFL Sunday Ticket HD (This would be a D* Exclusive)
NBC HD (OTA)
CBS HD (OTA)
PBS HD (OTA x 2)
FOX HD (OTA x 2)
Unknown (Unwatched) Spanish Channels (OTA x 3)

But to listen to the above argument the only channels that are worth the Tivo are ESPN, NBC & occasionally HDNet Movies.

I still don't have StarzHD though, but that channel was so bad on Voom I could no longer justify the 80/mo for that single channel :)

I am not another D*'er here to bash Voom either. Voom is GREAT if you don't mind a ton of quirks ... I mind ... that is why I watch what I know I'll receive clearly. This matters 100 times more when you are talking HD.

FYI: I returned my HD Tivo ... but I'll be picking one up in January :)

slacker9876 said:
You had better get busy dying then ... With D* equipment I currently receive:

ESPN HD (This is the only one that matters in the whole list, including Voom's list)
HBO HD
ShowTime HD
Discovery HD
HDNet
HDNet Movies
Bravo HD+
CBS HD
NFL Sunday Ticket HD (This would be a D* Exclusive)
NBC HD (OTA)
CBS HD (OTA)
PBS HD (OTA x 2)
FOX HD (OTA x 2)
Unknown (Unwatched) Spanish Channels (OTA x 3)

But to listen to the above argument the only channels that are worth the Tivo are ESPN, NBC & occasionally HDNet Movies.

I still don't have StarzHD though, but that channel was so bad on Voom I could no longer justify the 80/mo for that single channel :)

I am not another D*'er here to bash Voom either. Voom is GREAT if you don't mind a ton of quirks ... I mind ... that is why I watch what I know I'll receive clearly. This matters 100 times more when you are talking HD.

FYI: I returned my HD Tivo ... but I'll be picking one up in January :)

Well I don't even subscribe to any premium channels and I get

HDNEWS
CinemaHD 1-10
MonsterHD
EquatorHD
WorldsportHD
RushHD
RAVEHD
UltraHD
GalleryHD
AuctionHD
MOOVHD
AnimaniaHD
ESPNHD
BRAVOHD
TNTHD
DISCOVERYHD
CBS
NBC
ABC
PBS

That's 29 HD choices with the basic package and soon to be 31 when FOX and UPN go live. If we both dropped dead right now I'd win ;)

I think we have a winner....

r.jones1116 is now unofficially VOOM's #1 Fan!

With all the HD content VOOM offers , I wonder how he finds the time to post messages here?
He really needs a DVR to manage so many channels....oops I forgot VOOM doesn't offer one.

txcruiser said:

With all the HD content VOOM offers , I wonder how he finds the time to post messages here?
He really needs a DVR to manage so many channels....oops I forgot VOOM doesn't offer one.

If TV is SO important that you have to have a DVR, I feel sorry for you. I haven't needed any type of recording device since I bought my DVD player (1998). I just don't care that much about TV shows. Besides, everything I like to watch I can watch when they replay it to death on the History Channel.

Cheers,

txcruiser said:

Likewise txcruiser, I'm wondering how you find the time to post on a forum for a service which you are not subscribing to. I guess your HD offerings and DVR are not compelling enough to keep you away from a forum which should be of no concern to you.

txdude said:
Likewise txcruiser, I'm wondering how you find the time to post on a forum for a service which you are not subscribing to. I guess your HD offerings and DVR are not compelling enough to keep you away from a forum which should be of no concern to you.

The keywords are "AND DVR". I'm able to manage just fine. Thanks for asking.
My HD-DVR recorded two movies today that will allow to watch on MY schedule. That's what a DVR can do for you. I hope you can experience the same some day.

Maybe it's just me, but I think of Kenmore washers and dryers when I think of Sears.
I can't ever recall of thinking "I need to go to Sears to check out the latest consumer electronic products"... But that's just me. I'm sure the majority of those that love VOOM must think it's the best choice possible.
Can you imagine a Sears rep trying to demo VOOM's DVR when it becomes available?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts