Voom and Tivo

LOTRingDings

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Downeast Maine
So I decided to bite the bullet and switch my TIVO Series 2 from Directv to Voom. It went very smooth. Took about an hour. I now have my very familiar guide format under my fingers. To me it's so much easier using TIVO's guide. Yes I know it's SD but the Hi Def channels look very good down converted.
I used Infared Blaster and Motorola (Fast, the first one listed).

One very big bonus was a channel I did not know about, Ch 311, the NFLVoom channel that promises to play ONE of the previous weekend's games in Hi Def during the NFL season showed up. There is programing there now, maybe testing.
I had not heard about that as yet. Anyone else? :yes

Are you sure? 311 is not min my guide... It was taken off about a month and half ago. Are you sure you are not watching 312...?

LOTRingDings said:
So I decided to bite the bullet and switch my TIVO Series 2 from Directv to Voom. It went very smooth. Took about an hour. I now have my very familiar guide format under my fingers. To me it's so much easier using TIVO's guide.

Do you receive locals with your Tivo from the Voom box, or just Voom's lineup? I haven't checked on this in a while, I'm seeing if progress has been made.

Sean Mota said:
Are you sure? 311 is not min my guide... It was taken off about a month and half ago. Are you sure you are not watching 312...?
Programming I saw was 312 but the guide (on TIVO) was for 311. :(

astrossuperfan said:
Do you receive locals with your Tivo from the Voom box, or just Voom's lineup? I haven't checked on this in a while, I'm seeing if progress has been made.

No, I don't receive locals and they don't show up in the TIVO guide either.
The installer just left the antenna and parts instead of installing them (at my request).

thats what i thought. I don't think Tivo & Voom are ever going to resolve the tivo/locals issue. I guess subs just have to wait for Voom's DVR for full service.

I know this is a long shot, but here goes:

My current plan is to just install Voom in my HT room on the RPTV, then get basic cable for the rest of the house (we'll use our Series 2 Tivo with the cable in the Living Room).

I've pondered getting a second Voom box, at least for now since I can get the install for free. I know from threads such as these that I can get the Tivo to work with Voom. But, considering I can't get the Tivo to work with OTA (thus locals), is it possible to set Tivo up for both cable AND Voom?

I'm guessing the answer is no, but a guy can dream, can't he??? :rolleyes:

scottie_h said:
I know this is a long shot, but here goes:

My current plan is to just install Voom in my HT room on the RPTV, then get basic cable for the rest of the house (we'll use our Series 2 Tivo with the cable in the Living Room).

I've pondered getting a second Voom box, at least for now since I can get the install for free. I know from threads such as these that I can get the Tivo to work with Voom. But, considering I can't get the Tivo to work with OTA (thus locals), is it possible to set Tivo up for both cable AND Voom?

I'm guessing the answer is no, but a guy can dream, can't he??? :rolleyes:
You absolutely CAN setup Tivo with Voom and cable. I know because I'm doing it. When you get Voom, repeat the guided setup on your Tivo, and you can select Satellite & Cable as your providers. It might be a problem if you have digital cable, b/c you're sharing channels over 100. If all your cable channels are below 100, you're gold. It's always better to get additional STBs at first. If you don't want them, you can send them back. If you don't get them and then want another one you're out $199.
Good luck

You are talking about using a "stand alone" Tivo with VOOM right? A DTV DVR can not be programmed to receive VOOM I presume.

I checked the Tivo forum and they do not plan to make an HD Tivo stand alone. I suppose that means they will work with sat-providers like DTV & VOOM to develop the HD DVR. I know DTV already has one available at around $1000 and a waiting list.

Tvlman said:
You are talking about using a "stand alone" Tivo with VOOM right? A DTV DVR can not be programmed to receive VOOM I presume.

That's right. DirecTV tivos cannot work with any other service.

Tvlman said:
I suppose that means they will work with sat-providers like DTV & VOOM to develop the HD DVR.

Tivo won't work with Voom to build a DVR anytime in the near future. Tivo is a D* thing, just like Sunday Ticket. The big guys always get the cool stuff. :(

cyuhnke said:
You absolutely CAN setup Tivo with Voom and cable. I know because I'm doing it. When you get Voom, repeat the guided setup on your Tivo, and you can select Satellite & Cable as your providers. It might be a problem if you have digital cable, b/c you're sharing channels over 100. If all your cable channels are below 100, you're gold. It's always better to get additional STBs at first. If you don't want them, you can send them back. If you don't get them and then want another one you're out $199.
Good luck
The area I'm moving to, the only option is analog cable, so looks like we'll be fine. SWEET! Looks like I'll be calling Voom to change to a 2 receiver install!

I forget what the Tivo has for inputs on the back - how do you have it hooked up so that both of them are running through the Tivo at the same time?

BTW - I'll be setting this up at a new house with a different cable provider + new Voom, so I'm going to have to re-run the Tivo channel setup anyway.

Thanks for the great news! :D

scottie_h said:
The area I'm moving to, the only option is analog cable, so looks like we'll be fine. SWEET! Looks like I'll be calling Voom to change to a 2 receiver install!

I forget what the Tivo has for inputs on the back - how do you have it hooked up so that both of them are running through the Tivo at the same time?

BTW - I'll be setting this up at a new house with a different cable provider + new Voom, so I'm going to have to re-run the Tivo channel setup anyway.

Thanks for the great news! :D
I have analog cable plugged directly into the Tivo.

I have the composite audio/video jacks running from the Voom STB to the Tivo.

I have composite video from Tivo to TV.

I have DVI going from Voom STB to TV. All the jacks on the back of Voom STB are "hot" so it supports multiple outputs.

I use a receiver for all audio.

cyuhnke said:
I have analog cable plugged directly into the Tivo.

I have the composite audio/video jacks running from the Voom STB to the Tivo.

I have composite video from Tivo to TV.

I have DVI going from Voom STB to TV. All the jacks on the back of Voom STB are "hot" so it supports multiple outputs.

I use a receiver for all audio.
The TV that I have my Tivo hooked up to is just an old 25" SD TV. I assume I can get by with only running the composite video from the Tivo to the TV, and that I'll be able to watch both the Voom and cable through that connection? (since it doesn't have DVI matching your setup) My TV has both composite and RCA inputs on it, but no DVI or component (my HD RPTV obviously has component, but that's not the TV I currently have the Tivo hooked up to).

And just as importantly, for the HT challenged female in the house, she can just change the channel on the Tivo, and seamlessly see (and therefore tape) all the channels for both Voom and cable without having to change anything else? (inputs, etc)

If this is indeed the case, and I'm understanding you correctly, I'm calling tomorrow to change my install to 2 receivers. :cool:

Thanks again for all the help!

scottie_h said:
The TV that I have my Tivo hooked up to is just an old 25" SD TV. I assume I can get by with only running the composite video from the Tivo to the TV, and that I'll be able to watch both the Voom and cable through that connection? (since it doesn't have DVI matching your setup) My TV has both composite and RCA inputs on it, but no DVI or component (my HD RPTV obviously has component, but that's not the TV I currently have the Tivo hooked up to).

And just as importantly, for the HT challenged female in the house, she can just change the channel on the Tivo, and seamlessly see (and therefore tape) all the channels for both Voom and cable without having to change anything else? (inputs, etc)

If this is indeed the case, and I'm understanding you correctly, I'm calling tomorrow to change my install to 2 receivers. :cool:

Thanks again for all the help!

I should have clarified. I'm using Voom and Tivo on a HDTV. Yes, you can see and hear everything through TIVO. Just hook up the IR blasters over the Voom STB to change the station, and you'll be fine.

I have my Tivo Series 2 setup with VOOM and it works well but I'd like to get the local channels supported by the Tivo guide. I'm not sure what it would take to get this kind of change done as everybody's local channels are different and with the upcoming scanning capability there won't be much uniformity out there at all after everyone has tweaked their setup.

Anyway, even though one might have Tivo setup to work with VOOM and therefore Tivo recognizes only channels above 100 in the VOOM guide it does not stop you from selecting a "Manual" recording of a particular channel at a particular time. So one can setup recordings of any broadcast network channel that is a whole number (i.e. 4,5,7 versus 5.2, 7.2, etc.) even though Tivo won't list it as an available channel - you can just type it in. I mention this because I think some people erroneously believe that if they can't find it in their TIVO guide or list of channels that they are out of luck and can't program Tivo to record shows on those channels - not entirely true.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts