Voom antenna with Dish reciever?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wgolab

Original poster
May 1, 2005
Hey guys, does anyone know if its possible to use the old voom antenna and plug it into a new Dish Network reciever and get it to display the local HD channels?

wgolab said:
Hey guys, does anyone know if its possible to use the old voom antenna and plug it into a new Dish Network reciever and get it to display the local HD channels?
I'm using the old VOOM dish right now with my 811 HD Dish receiver. Before the recent changes in the HD pack I bought an 811 off someone on ebay and then connected a 110 lnb off of an old Directv dish....and the 61.5 from the VOOm dish. I connected it to a SW-21 switch and then to a combiner which combines my OTA ant and the two dishes. But, you can't combine a dishpro lnb with a legacy lnb (I think).
But to answer your question....yes you can use a VOOM dish to get a sig from 61.5 or whatever sat you want to point it to. But I'm not sure what kind of packages they now offer for your local HD ch's. Also, you have to check if they are Mpeg 4 .....alot of the locals in HD that they are adding are Mpeg4 so you would need to upgrade your receiver.

Last edited:
wgolab said:

I assume you mean the OTA antenna that Voom supplied. Works fine, that's what I'm using. The only thing you'll need to get is a power injector as this antenna requires a power supply. Readily available (about $20) at Fry's.

wgolab said:
Holy cow!!! I read your question wrong. I thought you were talikng about the dish for some reason. Yes it will work. Like SRueger said...you have to get a power injector or else you will get a zero sig.

Yes, the OTA antenna supplied by VOOM will work fine with Dish Network receiver. You just need to make sure that the voltage is supplied by the receiver (or by a standalone power inserter): VOOM usually provided antennas with built-in amplifiers.

could someone send me a link for the power inserter or the poer injector needed to hook up the voom antenna to a dish network receiver. I have the vip 211 if that helps.

moviemax said:
could someone send me a link for the power inserter or the poer injector needed to hook up the voom antenna to a dish network receiver. I have the vip 211 if that helps.

The Weingard specific model is PS-9370 although you can use anybody's unit that outputs the right voltage. Here are two links for this model:

http://www.summitsource.com/winegard-ps9370-18-volt-chromstar-110-vac-power-injector-inline-outdoor-power-supply-for-all-offair-tv-antenna-aerial-signal-preamplifiers-part-ps9370-p-4667.html

or

http://shop.willyselectronics.com/browse.cfm/4,1018.htm

Dishplace.com also sells the unit but at more than twice the going price.

SKrueger said:
I assume you mean the OTA antenna that Voom supplied. Works fine, that's what I'm using. The only thing you'll need to get is a power injector as this antenna requires a power supply. Readily available (about $20) at Fry's.
Can you tell me which power supply from fry's to get. The person I talked to didn't help much because he didn't understand. Do you need to have a certain info like (10db or 75OHM)?
Thanks in advance

moviemax said:
thanks for the links. can your tell me how to hook it up?

It's simple. The injector has 2 connectors. One should be labeled power, power supply, antenna, or something like that. The one that is labeled for power gets connected to the cable run that connects directly to your antenna. The other connector gets connected to the "antenna in" port on the dish receiver. Make sure you don't connect them up backwards.

That's it. Power flows one way to power the antenna and the signals flow back to the receiver.

jekyll said:
Can you tell me which power supply from fry's to get. The person I talked to didn't help much because he didn't understand. Do you need to have a certain info like (10db or 75OHM)?
Thanks in advance

I can look at the model number when I get home. I found it right with the OTA antennas at my local Fry's. Its 110/120v in and 18v DC out.

SKrueger said:
I can look at the model number when I get home. I found it right with the OTA antennas at my local Fry's. Its 110/120v in and 18v DC out.
Thanks but I found a wingard dealer in my town and they sell the PS-9370 for $18.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)