Voom cables ok for D* install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kentstater72

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
North of Toledo
I will be getting my install this saturday and I am preparing as much as possible for a easy time of it.

A couple questions:

1. Can the installer use the coax cables left from Voom? I had the V* installer put in a double line, anticipating a DVR(didn't know it would be a 10-250)

2. In the bedroom goes a r-10, can I use just one line (a cable coax, but only a couple years old). I know you need to for recording while watching, but can I get away with one if that doesn't matter to me?

3. The windguard antenna seems to work fine for my V* stb, anything that might change for the 10-250? And will the installer charge for just touching the antenna.

As long as your cable is RG-6 you will be fine. The Voom cable should be that, your CATV coax may be that.

Thanks

Is there a way to tell if it is rg-6? Diameter, markings?

Also I will use the voom for the two sats, but does the antenna require rg-6 also?

Well now that I think about it the installer should supply what I need, even if I have to get in the attic and connect it to the catv and slide it through. Right?

Kentstater72 said:
Is there a way to tell if it is rg-6? Diameter, markings?

Also I will use the voom for the two sats, but does the antenna require rg-6 also?

Well now that I think about it the installer should supply what I need, even if I have to get in the attic and connect it to the catv and slide it through. Right?

If the cable is not marked, then you can make a pretty good inference based on the diameter. RG-6 is slightly thicker than RG-59, which was the most commonly used size for analog CATV. It might be hard to tell the difference unless you have them side by side, though.

Is your Winegard antenna an amplified Sensar? Do you have a power supply for the antenna or was it powered by the VOOM receiver?

peterl1365 said:
If the cable is not marked, then you can make a pretty good inference based on the diameter. RG-6 is slightly thicker than RG-59, which was the most commonly used size for analog CATV. It might be hard to tell the difference unless you have them side by side, though.

Thanks, this cable was put in when Buckeye Cable company went to digital and HD. It was also all new for the high speed internet cable I had from them.

Boba
It is the Sensar and I do have the proper amplifier.
I am assuming that I will need to amplify the signal for the 10-250 also.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)