Voom Ces Dvr Demo Now Online!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Ok it just finished rendering and has been uploaded.

The VOOM CES Demo is now online for your viewing pleasure.

See it at http://www.satelliteguys.us/2005ces/ (And if you can make sure you visit some of our sponsors on that page) :D

Remember again that this demo is coming off an actual DVR 580 NOT a computer as we have seen before. :D

Enjoy!

Got it, stored it on our public directory here at work, sent email to co-workers pointing to the file so they could see the video also.

Just finished watching the vid. This thing is going to be incredible. Can't wait to get it. Would love to be a beta tester for this thing.

GO Voom!

That guy must not speak publicly for a living, so boring to listen to...

riffjim4069 said:
...but how the heck is this thing going to be networked (i.e. what's a dongle)?
Not sure which way VOOM will decide to go, but here is an example of a USB-to-Ethernet dongle:

Since the DVR has USB 2.0 ports, 10/100 Ethernet should not be a problem.

riffjim4069 said:
Very informative, but how the heck is this thing going to be networked (i.e. what's a dongle)?
a USB to ethernet converter that plugs into the usb port most likely. Or a USB to something else maybe COAX. Im all setup for ethernet though. Will have to put the one of my xbox's onto wireless though.(usually called a dongle because it looks like a tiny box with a small usb cable as a tail).

If existing recievers do not have to be replaced then their USB ports must work already. Or just need a software hit?

vurbano said:
a USB to ethernet converter that plugs into the usb port most likely. Or a USB to something else maybe COAX. Im all setup for ethernet though. Will have to put the one of my xbox's onto wireless though.(usually called a dongle because it looks like a tiny box with a small usb cable as a tail).
I'm wondering if it will support usb to 802.11b or 802.11g wireless ethernet. The tivo units support the 802.11b, but it would be great voom could support 802.11g (which is the higher speed home wireless networking). I have the g basestation from Apple, but having a b device in the network slows all the g devices down to the b speed (b=11Mb vs g=54Mb). You can't even buy a usb to 802.11b unit in best buy anymore, because all they sell or the 802.11g units.

More about dongles.

A dongle is not just a conversion box. "Dongle" usually implies proprietary decryption with a serialized key, unique to each licensed user. Dongles were common for unlocking desktop software and preventing pirated copies from being usable. A dongle would ship with a licensed software package. You would plug the dongle into your PC serial port and the software would confirm that a valid dongle was plugged in before the software would do anything useful.

If Voom is going to make serious use of dongles, it could mean that you will be issued a serialized dongle in order to make Voom's data stream usable.

You are talking about a completely different type of dongles (cryptographic tokens). There is no need for those - VOOM has smart cards already!

Thanks guys. This is great news! I'll be ready for one in March. He didn't say anything about archiving to different media. This, I guess, wouldn't fly with content provider's copy protection desires. Still, it wouldn't take me long to rack up 50 hours of HD and need to find more space-without another DVR. He also said that Rainbow 2 would be coming online in March but didn't say anything more than the "capability" of 70 nationwide HD channels would be there-not that that added capacity would already be occupied with new programming. Still, I'm stoked. :D

I was just watching the VOOM DVR demo and I heard the magic word..."buy". If you recorded the demo video, it is approx. 6:55 into the video.

The mentioned the networking through the USB dongle. I'm thinking it would almost have to CAT5, reason being you have to have one COAX cable for the sat service and a secont CAT5 jack for networking with a hub somewhere. If it's COAX then I would think you'd have to have two COAX connections to the box, one for sat one for the network with one of those COAX going back to some coax/ip/router. The COAX would be easier for an installer to run but seemes like a nightmare of cables. Just have to see.

But I predict it will come in March for the simple fact that the current 1$ install expires March 1st. So I may have to jump soon.

Sorry, I'm not impressed. Also, if they don't know the networking method 2 months before it's supposed to ship, it not gonna work right right away. I can't wait to see the uproar in March when the schedule has slipped. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts