VOOM CSR: Motorola HD DVR due in Q1, 2005

malexgreen

Original poster
Nov 2, 2004
I talked with "Anthony Plese" a VOOM CSR via live chat. Here's the transcript of the conversation

malexgreen said:
I am a current VOOM customer that is thinking about switching to DirectTV because they offer a HD DVR. Do you know if VOOM will be offering their DVR solution anytime before the end of the year? If it won't be until next year, will it be before March, 2005? Thanks.

VOOM CSR said:
that's a great question...the latest memo we have received indicates that we will have our HD-DVR available in the fiurst(sic) Qtr. of 2005.

malexgreen said:
Do you know if it will be cheapter than DirectTV's?

VOOM CSR said:
I don't have any pricing or actual release date available

malexgreen said:
OK. Do you know if the HD DVR will be Motorola equipment?

VOOM CSR said:
Yest the new unit will be manufactured by Motorola

malexgreen said:
Alright. Thank you for your time

VOOM CSR said:
Do you have any other questioin(sic) I can help you with today?

malexgreen said:
No.
Thank you :)

VOOM CSR said:
I enjoyed chatting with you. Thanks for contacting VOOM.

malexgreen said:

**** Anthony Plese Has Disconnected

Now we can add this to the growing list of dates when the DVR will be available:

1. Summer 2004
2. September 2004
3. October 2004
4. November 2004 or earlier
5. Q1 2005

Anyone think that the above list might get a few more entries before we see this bad boy?

The Stone Man said:
Now we can add this to the growing list of dates when the DVR will be available:

1. Summer 2004
2. September 2004
3. October 2004
5. Q1 2005

Anyone think that the above list might get a few more entries before we see this bad boy?
If we get the DVR by any of the above dates, I'll be content. :haha

Great News from such a qualified source.
This thread (based on title alone) will get tons of hits for the next 4 months. Lovely.

On Voom's website,it does not even say "Q1 2005",all it says is sometime in 2005,wide range of time frames then.

If you look at the transcript closely, notice that the CSR said "we will have our HD-DVR available in the fiurst(sic) Qtr. of 2005". Maybe he never meant first :D

malexgreen said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOOM CSR
Yest the new unit will be manufactured by Motorola

Please tell me this won't be a unit with the MOXI interface that Motorola has been pushing through so many cable companies lately. This unit has the worst program quide setup I've ever seen.

SKrueger said:
Please tell me this won't be a unit with the MOXI interface that Motorola has been pushing through so many cable companies lately. This unit has the worst program quide setup I've ever seen.
The software is being develope by Ucentric, not Motorola.

I just spoke with a Customer Rep via Chat at Voom today. She said that they would have the HD-DVR available in the "first half of 2005" ... which could mean beyond Q1 of 2005, of course.

In my mind, it's been pretty clearly demonstrated that NONE of the CSRs in this industry (sat, cable, HDTV, etc) have any accurate information at all, so I don't put any stock in them as a credible source of info. :)

I'd bet you could call 10 times, get 10 different CSRs, and at least 5 different answers, including one that says it's available now :)

Lob

I was told yesterday by a CSR the DVR will be rolled out in January. She said that news was just released to her mangement yesterday. Take it for what it is worth.

Indy said:
I was told yesterday by a CSR the DVR will be rolled out in January. She said that news was just released to her mangement yesterday. Take it for what it is worth.
I think the only thing being rolled are whacky cigarettes in the parking lot by this particular this CSR. ;) Having said that, I do hope the DVRs arrival is announced and orders are taken after the New Year. Also, it would be nice if there were a pecking order: original subscribers, those who are grandfathered, current non-grandfathered subs and finally new subscribers.

riffjim4069 said:
I think the only thing being rolled are whacky cigarettes in the parking lot by this particular this CSR. ;) Having said that, I do hope the DVRs arrival is announced and orders are taken after the New Year. Also, it would be nice if there were a pecking order: original subscribers, those who are grandfathered, current non-grandfathered subs and finally new subscribers.

If Voom is true to form and does what it does best, the DVR will be offered as enticement to new subs free of charge with a one year commitment and a higher pricing structure for programming. Voom will insist on becoming a "new" customer to participate. This is their present business model and I don't see them changing it in the future. By doing the re install as a new customer they are gradually erasing their promises of past and starting with a clean slate. Their track record proves me right.

riffjim4069 said:

Since the ultimate goal in the satellite industry is to make money, exisiting subscribers will most likely be the lowest priority when it comes to getting the DVR boxes. New subscribers mean new revenue. Giving a new box to an existing customer will only cost them money and deny a potential new sub.

Indy said:
If Voom is true to form and does what it does best, the DVR will be offered as enticement to new subs free of charge with a one year commitment and a higher pricing structure for programming. Voom will insist on becoming a "new" customer to participate. This is their present business model and I don't see them changing it in the future. By doing the re install as a new customer they are gradually erasing their promises of past and starting with a clean slate. Their track record proves me right.
joemama said:
Since the ultimate goal in the satellite industry is to make money, exisiting subscribers will most likely be the lowest priority when it comes to getting the DVR boxes. New subscribers mean new revenue. Giving a new box to an existing customer will only cost them money and deny a potential new sub.
I'm afraid you are both correct. My attempt to install two additional receivers this morning was cancelled so I terminated service. In spite of themselves, I really like VOOM and will come back after they offer:

- affordable DVR (probably not 'till March or later)
- affordable whole home solution (new customer offer needs to be extended, in writing, to current subs)
- the elliptical dish required to receive new HD/SD channels

I feel that I have a much better opportunity of VOOM meeting my requirements as an outsider...plus, we're just not getting much use out of VOOM since our single receiver is sub-level in the HT room (too cold and inconvenient on a daily basis), we're both working a lot of hours (in bed at 8:00pm and up at 4:30am). Those hours make it darn near impossible to keep up with certain programming events without a DVR - we became addicted to the cable HD DVR, which was only $7.95 a month. If we had a receiver in the bedroom then perhaps we could keep up with a few shows.

Anyway, add 1 to the churn rate. It's unfortunate because I really enjoy the programming and have had very few problems with the receiver, PQ, etc

P.S. Where is the DMA Megamap that was supposed to be out in October?

I would disagree. I know that they've said lease might be an option, but the loss on leasing these things is going to be huge. I don't think they can do it. And that means you're going to have to buy them. The only people up for that are the early adopters.

-MP

The Stone Man said:

1. Summer 2004
2. September 2004
3. October 2004
5. Q1 2005

You ought to just jump ship Stoney, my HR10-250 has been HUGE for watching football this year both on NFL ST and OTA versions. Between NBC, CBS and FOX I have most of the HD I could ever want. However, I am on the sports side of the fence, I am not a fan of most original content ... by any provider.

I always thought I wanted / needed more than sports and movies. I was wrong, I guess I am too mainstream.

Come SpaceWay 1 ... the decision will be quite clear. For now Voom has it by number but I have always thought D* kept the best content.

riffjim4069 said:
I'm afraid you are both correct. My attempt to install two additional receivers this morning was cancelled so I terminated service. In spite of themselves, I really like VOOM and will come back after they offer:

- affordable DVR (probably not 'till March or later)
- affordable whole home solution (new customer offer needs to be extended, in writing, to current subs)
- the elliptical dish required to receive new HD/SD channels

I feel that I have a much better opportunity of VOOM meeting my requirements as an outsider...plus, we're just not getting much use out of VOOM since our single receiver is sub-level in the HT room (too cold and inconvenient on a daily basis), we're both working a lot of hours (in bed at 8:00pm and up at 4:30am). Those hours make it darn near impossible to keep up with certain programming events without a DVR - we became addicted to the cable HD DVR, which was only $7.95 a month. If we had a receiver in the bedroom then perhaps we could keep up with a few shows.

Anyway, add 1 to the churn rate. It's unfortunate because I really enjoy the programming and have had very few problems with the receiver, PQ, etc

P.S. Where is the DMA Megamap that was supposed to be out in October?

So you never made it as a mod. I remember you hammering on Red UFO who said the exact same thing about no DVR until march 2005 or later. Now it looks like 2006 in reality. So you wanted more Voom timing didn't work out. So you had a hissy fit and cancelled?

I hope voom makes it and I'll be back if they get their crap together with a decent price.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)