Voom Csr's Good / Bad

bean1897

Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Heres the deal. Voom has had problems with installations constantly, although the customer service csr's love to hear they have done a good job, excluding the point that customers don't have things the way they want it. I know for a fact that the csr's do care about their jobs and do their best to get things done. Unfortunately they do have their hands tied in many cases. If anyone wants to give a shout out to specific CSR about anything, good or bad, post it and i see what i can do to get it to them. Thank you for your input :D

Only let's do it in the VOOM Customer Comments forum. VOOM Installation forum is for technical discussions. ;)
Thread moved.

I'm one the few that have had pretty good luck with the CSRs, Installs Inc.,and the STB. I've had installers out two times to deal with rainfade issues and each time they came when they said they would and did a pretty good job. I'm happy with VOOM. Though I hope they get the DVR happening soon and more sports content.

Good San Diego Voom Company/Installer

First of all, I do not work for Voom or have any ties whatsoever to the dealer mentioned below.

I have had a great experience with my San Diego Voom company: All Digital Satellites in Encinitas (760-436-1929). They have a small showroom with active pictures from both Voom and Dish Network sources. You can compare both pictures there on both HD and Standard Def sources; they will sell you either service and are pretty accurate in describing their pros and cons. Their installer was excellent, too. He said he works almost exclusively with All Digital.

All Digital did my Voom installation the very next day from in stock equipment. The installer was very knowledgeable and did a great job in mounting and aiming the 24 inch dish. I was going to go with two 24 inch dishes (which he brought, along with 3 receivers), but he figured out a good location for a single dish that could feed both sets with minimal exposed wiring. To my amazement, he had a portable RF Spectrometer that was very useful in mounting a second OTA antenna for one of my TVs. Voom supplied (and he installed) a small Wineguard Square Shooter antenna that worked better than a small Radio Shack UHF/VHF yagi that I had been using.

He activated both receivers, gave me a little user training and carefully explained what I should expect for the automatic software update that would occur that evening. The downloads for both receivers worked just fine.

All in all -- a very positive Voom experience from my San Diego dealer.

My planned Carson City, NV installation a month later was not as good, but the jury is really still out. I had ordered the installation directly from Voom, because I could not find any Voom dealers in the Reno/Carson City areas. Voom took the order for two 24 inch dishes, but shipped the wrong dish to the installer and couldn't give me a good number to call the installer ahead of time so I could coordinate things a bit ahead of time. The installation guy called on the morning of the installation but I postponed it until he could get the 24 inch dishes to deal with the occasional Nevada snow storms. He and Voom were willing to do the two installations (18 then 24 inch dishes), but I was not in that much of a hurry. I will report back on how that installation actually goes, but the installer seemed to be pretty knowledgeable on the phone.

I remain very pleased with my installation and the Voom service, especially after reading all of the less than wonderful experiences of some on this forum.

Pixalized screen

I have a problem with the 18" dish. Image pixelize all the time. and forget it when is raining! My neighbor has DN and his screen pixelize only when raining hard. I also have problems with installation. I was promised a Jan. 14 installation. Since I did not get a Email. I called 800 get Voom, and after 10 minutes conversation I was told to forget about the 1-14-05 installation since they JUST shipped the new equipment. So I have to wait till 1-17-05. Does anybody has any idea why the above problem? Will the 24' will help? Thank you in advance.

yes the 24 dish should alleviate your problems.... one of these days ill try to get one too but it rarely rains in TX so its not making me remember i lose signal when it rains (but i want to manually tune my satallite first to make sure its not a little bit off).

Hi, Jar-Jar,

You shouldn't be getting picture breakup unless you have very heavy clouds and moderate to heavy rain. Of course, it depends on where you live but this time of they year there aren't many thunderstorms around to block the sat. Even here in Seattle way at the edge of being able to see the sat we rarely had rain fades. Now that we have a 24" upgrade (I'm assuming this is the "installation" you are talking about) we haven't had any more rain fade issues.

I suspect you have more than an antenna problem. The antenna you have may be misaligned. You might have bad cable connections. Maybe a bad diplexer.

Make sure to call the installer who is supposed to do the antenna upgrade the day before it is scheduled to make sure he has received the antenna. Installs, Inc. has had some shipment issues.

Still watching HDTV under windy cloudy Seattle skies, Gill

SeattleVoomer1 said:
Still watching HDTV under windy cloudy Seattle skies, Gill

Gill, I gotta ask why do you feel compelled to sign every post with the latest Seattle weather conditions?

Well you know about videophiles and audiophiles. I'm a weatherphile as well. Have always been interested in the weather although we get very little "real" weather here in Seattle.

Still watching HDTV under snowless Seattle skies, Gill

Thanks for your answers. It rained the whole week, and I was not able to watch any Voom, all I got was pixelized images and occ some sound (voices Etc) OTA was much better. I live near Palm Springs Calif. Hopefully the 24" dish will help.
Today is not raining I am getting all the VOOM!!! It is beautiful when I can watch it, even my wife who was not interested in HD before, likes Voom.

Rain in Palm Springs? No wonder nothing is working down there. It just wasn't use to the rain. Seriously, you guys have really been getting it down there the past couple of weeks. Hope everything is OK.

Still watching HDTV under snowless Seattle skies, Gill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts