Voom, Direct*, Dis* Comparison

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
vurbano said:
sorry didnt know this was a "complain about voom problems or they may never fix them" thread, pardon me. I thought the thread was to compare the 3 providers.

Sorry I thought this was a thread were you did not bash other people. The fact remains that (most) complains are valid and will help VOOM to improve service for all of us, including you.

Statements like yours are not beneficial:

Quote:

"...And now ladies and gentlemen... we shall again hear from the tag team flamers, Jay and eschu... LMAO..."

"...I agree and hopefully the flamers will go suck on their pacifiers..."

Scubasoul said:
Statements like yours are not beneficial:

"...And now ladies and gentlemen... we shall again hear from the tag team flamers, Jay and eschu... LMAO..."

"...I agree and hopefully the flamers will go suck on their pacifiers..."[/I]
I agree.
Did anyone here have D* or E* when they were seven months old? That would be a true comparison.

Also, we can't really compare the three on the service as a whole because IMO Voom isn't intended for use as a sole source provider. Voom seems to be intended for the HD enthusiast or at the very least the people that have made in invetsment in a high quality display device that requires programming worthy of use in that display device. Looking at the overall picture D* and E* are the leaders in DBS programming. Equally so, Voom is the hands down leader in HD programming which just so happens to throw in some SD programming because they can.

wasch_24 said:
Also, we can't really compare the three on the service as a whole because IMO Voom isn't intended for use as a sole source provider. Voom seems to be intended for the HD enthusiast or at the very least the people that have made in invetsment in a high quality display device that requires programming worthy of use in that display device. Looking at the overall picture D* and E* are the leaders in DBS programming. Equally so, Voom is the hands down leader in HD programming which just so happens to throw in some SD programming because they can.
I disagree. Voom wouldn't have the various SD channel offerings unless it intended to be a sole provider for the household. Voom will definitely not be doing locals, unless distant HD local legislation comes to pass. And that would only be LA & NY feeds. There is no way Voom will survive if it's a supplemental content provider only.

cyuhnke said:
I disagree. Voom wouldn't have the various SD channel offerings unless it intended to be a sole provider for the household. Voom will definitely not be doing locals, unless distant HD local legislation comes to pass. And that would only be LA & NY feeds. There is no way Voom will survive if it's a supplemental content provider only.

Ok, I see your point. I wonder though, why would a cable company build a DBS company just to compete with itself? Voom is focused on the HDTV investors. It would be interesting to compare the number of Voom subscribers to the number of HDTV owners in the U.S.

wasch_24 said:
Ok, I see your point. I wonder though, why would a cable company build a DBS company just to compete with itself? Voom is focused on the HDTV invetstors. It would be interesting to compare the number of Voom subscribers to the number of HDTV owners in the U.S.

I don't have any idea what Dolan's motives were, but that is a good point. I'm not suggesting Voom will ever match D* and E* choices in programming. We probably won't see 50 ppv, 10 Nascar, 20 NFL Sun. ticket, 20 mlb, 20 nhl, and 20 nba channels. But I think Voom will go after the most popular channels available. Voom will soon be its own company, seeking profits.

wasch_24 said:
Ok, I see your point. I wonder though, why would a cable company build a DBS company just to compete with itself? Voom is focused on the HDTV invetstors. It would be interesting to compare the number of Voom subscribers to the number of HDTV owners in the U.S.
because cablevision doesnt have cable in the ground in COX, TWC, etc territories and because there are places cable doesnt serve? ANd maybe like COX they have a bandwidth problem.

Cablevision has all of the services that Cox has eating its bandwidth (Analog, Optimum Online, Optimum Voice, iO Digital, iO High Definition, iO VoD). VoD is evil to bandwidth. Many folks with Voom also have a cable subscription or DBS subscription to augment their selection--I suppose Cablevision had this in mind. Of all the cableco's I'd want running my service, Cablevision or TWC would be it.

Since their existing HFC plant couldn't hack it, why not make a DBS company to test the waters? This wouldn't be the first random/frivilous purchase/creation Dolan has made. This time, they made a great product.

well I was cooking breakfast, eggs and bacon frying in a pan on my hughes e86 stb and checked 301 on voom this morning. ESPNHD looks great on voom. Another Voom promise come true !.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts